For any of you young-uns without a degree

Chisoxfn

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/artic...reer-leadership

I assume you don't need a degree, but I could be wrong. I have a friend who works for UPS and It is about as good of a career as possible for you to go in without having that college degree (benefits, solid pay, etc).

Wanted to put that out there since I know there is a good chunk of youth here. And if someone is in college, I'm not telling you to drop out and do this. But I also don't think you necessarily need to go to college. I think the importnat part is that after high school you either go to college and do what you want there or learn a trade and continue to develop and hone a workable craft.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Well crap, the job career I am choosing will not get me to that pay scale for quite awhile, even with a Masters degree. That's so disheartening in a way.

Weren't you talking about going to law school? If you go that route and do fine, you'll get a job starting at one of the big companies at double that (if it is out of a top law school). Albeit, right now it is really really hard to get a job in law unless you are coming from one of the big schools and are graduating near the tops of your class.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Weren't you talking about going to law school? If you go that route and do fine, you'll get a job starting at one of the big companies at double that (if it is out of a top law school). Albeit, right now it is really really hard to get a job in law unless you are coming from one of the big schools and are graduating near the tops of your class.

Yeah no more law school. I would have gone to U. of Illinois, but I am working in a sports agency that is housed in a law firm right now and have realized that I don't want the life of lawyer no matter how good the paycheck. I would have never been able to work from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday, then still go to work on many weekends. I realized that money would never be that important to me, so now trying to get into sports marketing. I can always marry rich! :)

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
Yeah I'm down, I'll see if a degree gets me anywhere first

add me to that list.. i worked like a dog for the military for WAY WAY WAYYYYY less than 75k! i wouldnt mind at all.. just have to get used to those short shorts

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
Yeah no more law school. I would have gone to U. of Illinois, but I am working in a sports agency that is housed in a law firm right now and have realized that I don't want the life of lawyer no matter how good the paycheck. I would have never been able to work from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday, then still go to work on many weekends. I realized that money would never be that important to me, so now trying to get into sports marketing. I can always marry rich! :)

Ya know, there are plenty of legal job that don't require those hours. Specifically for the government.

I've heard from a few people that UPS pays your tuition if you work there for a certain amount of time in a co-op program. Not sure if that is true or not. Yesterday, I read this too and thought about how great it would be, making $74,000 doing this kind of work. But honestly I'd rather just get my degree and stumble into a career. Though that is something I wonder - what is the difference between a job and a career in soxtalk.com's viewpoint?

You could also never get me to be a lawyer, but I would consider being a paralegal. Any job that consumes your life where you are working long hours for virtually nothing in return but money doesn't fit me. Similarly, long hours for $20K doesn't fit me either. Is there a happy medium between the two?

Our UPS driver has been there for like 25 years, seems like he really enjoys it. I think hes up to 7 weeks vacation, which is pretty awesome. He also did just have to go rehab for smoking too much grass and drinking, not sure if that was job related though.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 06:06 AM)
Ya know, there are plenty of legal job that don't require those hours. Specifically for the government.

I know, but then you don't make a ton of money. If that is the case, I would rather do something I truly have a passion for a career.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I've heard from a few people that UPS pays your tuition if you work there for a certain amount of time in a co-op program. Not sure if that is true or not. Yesterday, I read this too and thought about how great it would be, making $74,000 doing this kind of work. But honestly I'd rather just get my degree and stumble into a career. Though that is something I wonder - what is the difference between a job and a career in soxtalk.com's viewpoint?

You could also never get me to be a lawyer, but I would consider being a paralegal. Any job that consumes your life where you are working long hours for virtually nothing in return but money doesn't fit me. Similarly, long hours for $20K doesn't fit me either. Is there a happy medium between the two?

Worked there for 3 years, they start paying your tuition the day that you start but if you were to quit or something before your semester is over, you must pay it back

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
I know, but then you don't make a ton of money. If that is the case, I would rather do something I truly have a passion for a career.

Well, then I say thank you for not being one of the many who go to law school only to complain about lawyers. Unlike most, I actually enjoy legal work, and the money is secondary.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Well, then I say thank you for not being one of the many who go to law school only to complain about lawyers. Unlike most, I actually enjoy legal work, and the money is secondary.

That's how it should be. There would a heck of a lot more lawyers who are pleasant to be around then. haha.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Maggsmaggs, how did you get into working with the sports marketing firm? What is it called? Are you going to get a Master's in sport management or even a certificate from somewhere in sport management for your job?

It's called Kaufmann Sports Management Group and it was because of Illinois law connection at first because both agents went there. I am applying to Northwestern for the Sports Admin program with an emphasis on sports marketing/public relations, so I am hopeful that I will get accepted. I realized I couldn't be happy as a lawyer since I am big into working out and working crappy hours for something I wasn't passionate about was not going to work, so I had to switch career goals pretty quick. It's been a whirldwind past two months going from graduating college, planning on law school, then not knowing what I wanted to do, thinking maybe high school English teacher, then settling on sports marketing, and now trying for the Masters.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
It's called Kaufmann Sports Management Group and it was because of Illinois law connection at first because both agents went there. I am applying to Northwestern for the Sports Admin program with an emphasis on sports marketing/public relations, so I am hopeful that I will get accepted. I realized I couldn't be happy as a lawyer since I am big into working out and working crappy hours for something I wasn't passionate about was not going to work, so I had to switch career goals pretty quick. It's been a whirldwind past two months going from graduating college, planning on law school, then not knowing what I wanted to do, thinking maybe high school English teacher, then settling on sports marketing, and now trying for the Masters.

How did you network with these people? What was your undergraduate degree in? I'll assume English because you need that qualification to teach high school English. What does it take to get accepted? I know that it is NU, and I'm not looking to go there. And I agree with you on working in something you aren't passionate about for long hours (and with journalism, it's low pay). Good luck with your Master's degree.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
How did you network with these people? What was your undergraduate degree in? I'll assume English because you need that qualification to teach high school English. What does it take to get accepted? I know that it is NU, and I'm not looking to go there. And I agree with you on working in something you aren't passionate about for long hours (and with journalism, it's low pay). Good luck with your Master's degree.

It's one of those long connections: dad's best friend's brother-in-law is the agent/lawyer (he works full-time as an attorney with the sports agent stuff on the side). So once my dad told his friend that I was going to U. Illinois for law school, his friend told his brother-in-law and said I should send me resume because I wanted to use my law degree to work in sports. My undergrad was in journalism ironically from U. of Missouri, but I was thinking about a Master's in education somewhere. Northwestern said that the two biggest keys for acceptance are academic record (undergrad grades) and previous work experience in sports, whether that be full-time or internship. All in all, the application wasn't that bad, but I am kinda putting my eggs in one basket here with Northwestern b/c they don't require the GRE, so I haven't tried applying anywhere else where they might need the GRE.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
That's how it should be. There would a heck of a lot more lawyers who are pleasant to be around then. haha.

The people I know that are like that didn't realize they hated law until they were like over halfway done with law school, and they didn't want to waste the money and time so they just ended up staying with it and hating their jobs/lives.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
It's one of those long connections: dad's best friend's brother-in-law is the agent/lawyer (he works full-time as an attorney with the sports agent stuff on the side). So once my dad told his friend that I was going to U. Illinois for law school, his friend told his brother-in-law and said I should send me resume because I wanted to use my law degree to work in sports. My undergrad was in journalism ironically from U. of Missouri, but I was thinking about a Master's in education somewhere. Northwestern said that the two biggest keys for acceptance are academic record (undergrad grades) and previous work experience in sports, whether that be full-time or internship. All in all, the application wasn't that bad, but I am kinda putting my eggs in one basket here with Northwestern b/c they don't require the GRE, so I haven't tried applying anywhere else where they might need the GRE.

NIU has a sports management program, though they do require the GRE and aren't nearly as prestigious as NU. Mizzou is excellent for journalism and probably would allow you to bypass the rural areas and land you a great job. But who knows.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 12:20 AM)
NIU has a sports management program, though they do require the GRE and aren't nearly as prestigious as NU. Mizzou is excellent for journalism and probably would allow you to bypass the rural areas and land you a great job. But who knows.

I had some great clips, was good at editing, good internships, but I didn't want to do the journalism thing. So I never applied for any journalism jobs, but I figured the skills I have from being in journalism school: great verbal/written communication, editing, creativity will help me in sports marketing. However, most of my friends who are from Mizzou either got out of journalism or are starting in small places. The good thing about the NU masters is that they have an option for sports marketing, which is what I would like to do.