Who will be the last Sox starter to get a hit?

Greg Hibbard

The Royce Clayton Award  

77 members have voted

1. 1. 2010 Edition

• Alexei Ramirez
    • Mark Teahen
    • Mark Kotsay
    • Juan Pierre

Still, the fact remains that Omar Vizquel might have actually saved 2-3 runs if he had been out there instead of Teahen. If would arguably have made us a 2-1 team instead of 1-2. Of course, it's not a long-term solution, we all know that much.

No matter which option we use, it basically sucks. (KW, you suck too...not for trading Fields and Getz, but for signing Teahen to an extension when there wasn't a strongly compelling reason to do so). Moving Beckham again is simply unthinkable at this point.

We might as well go with the Juan Uribe/defense first approach until Teahen pulls his head out of his posterior and wakes up.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Let's hold off on pronouncing Viciedo at 3B dead for now.

Playing Vizquel at 3B isn't worse because he gives you much better defense at any position you play him (certainly better than Teahen) and he can lay down a bunt and advance runners at a very minimum. He's not a good hitter, but he's a smart situational hitter.

you can hold off on pronouncing him dead for now if you wish but the one who actually makes the decisions buried him 9 months ago

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Omar Vizquel would be an absurdly bad option to play everyday in the AL. He cannont hit, all the defense in the world, isn't going to make up for that.

yes vizquel would be a horrible option. hes not an option to start at ss. thus 3b would be much worse. no 3b saves 2-3 runs a game with defense, they simply dont get that many plays. and to have a guy in the lineup for "situational hitting" and bunting purposes is nuts. you would hear a lot more complaining about that lineup.

the only way you would move beckham back to 3b is if we had a stud hitter at 2b, which nix is not.

Replacing Paul Konerko is much more of a priority for KW at this point than Mark Teahen, because Teahen was signed to an extension...whereas we traded Brandon Allen/Fields and unless Tyler Flowers is taken off catcher, Viciedo, despite his height, is our best internal candidate for that position.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
yes vizquel would be a horrible option. hes not an option to start at ss. thus 3b would be much worse. no 3b saves 2-3 runs a game with defense, they simply dont get that many plays. and to have a guy in the lineup for "situational hitting" and bunting purposes is nuts. you would hear a lot more complaining about that lineup.

the only way you would move beckham back to 3b is if we had a stud hitter at 2b, which nix is not.

I never said 2-3 runs per game. That's crazy.

From what I've heard/read (and I'm in China so I can't go back through the play by play and analzye every opportunity he's had, which plays he missed which might have been made by a defender with superior range, the Valbuena "bunt" that shouldn't have been fielded...a play that Vizquel has masterful instincts with) over the course of the first three games, he MIGHT have saved 2-3 runs (TOTAL).

Does anyone who's watched each of these 3 games personally agree or disagree?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
I never said 2-3 runs per game. That's crazy.

From what I've heard/read (and I'm in China so I can't go back through the play by play and analzye every opportunity he's had, which plays he missed which might have been made by a defender with superior range, the Valbuena "bunt" that shouldn't have been fielded...a play that Vizquel has masterful instincts with) over the course of the first three games, he MIGHT have saved 2-3 runs (TOTAL).

Does anyone who's watched each of these 3 games personally agree or disagree?

there was a swinging bunt on opening day that he would have made the play. teahan caught a line drive in game 2 that vizquel probably would not have, simply due to height.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
Oh my lord.. wite has seen the light!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

And as far as this poll, i'll say Kotsay as well cause of the reason Kalapse brings, though Teahen isn't looking good right now, though he's on pace to walk more than he ever has in a season cause of his discipline. (hey he might live up to the money ball ways after all :P)

I had never actually seen Getz play, so shame on me. He doesn't have much to work with.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Omar Vizquel would be an absurdly bad option to play everyday in the AL. He cannont hit, all the defense in the world, isn't going to make up for that.

Don't be so sure. He did put up 1.1 WAR in 62 games last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
Replacing Paul Konerko is much more of a priority for KW at this point than Mark Teahen, because Teahen was signed to an extension...whereas we traded Brandon Allen/Fields and unless Tyler Flowers is taken off catcher, Viciedo, despite his height, is our best internal candidate for that position.

Agreed that Paulie won't be playing 1B for the Sox for much longer, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if KW offers PK a 3/20 deal this winter and Ozzie moves him to DH. Not only is there a PR issue with letting one's captain leave via free agency, but Paulie's one of about three people in the lineup who projects to put up an .800 OPS.