Who will be the last Sox starter to get a hit?

Greg Hibbard

The Royce Clayton Award  

77 members have voted

1. 1. 2010 Edition

• Alexei Ramirez
    • Mark Teahen
    • Mark Kotsay
    • Juan Pierre

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
And on defense for that matter. Man, I would love to gave Getz back..... :(

Getz is a hard worker who will be a .750 OPS player at his very, very best, unless he lucks into a .320 average or something. He is not a very talented major league baseball player. Mark Teahen does have talent, and at his very best he is probably an .850 or so OPS bat. Expecting a .750 OPS or so out of him is pretty reasonable. Anybody wishing for Getz back after now 3 games is jumping the gun just a little bit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Getz is a hard worker who will be a .750 OPS player at his very, very best, unless he lucks into a .320 average or something. He is not a very talented major league baseball player. Mark Teahen does have talent, and at his very best he is probably an .850 or so OPS bat. Expecting a .750 OPS or so out of him is pretty reasonable. Anybody wishing for Getz back after now 3 games is jumping the gun just a little bit.

Not really. I don't view Teahen as any offensive upgrade over Getz, but Getz at least brought more speed. Also. Getz costs considerably less money.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Not really. I don't view Teahen as any offensive upgrade over Getz, but Getz at least brought more speed. Also. Getz costs considerably less money.

Well you should view Teahen as an offensive upgrade over Getz. The fact that Getz brings more speed is more than neutralized by his incapability to hit for power. Though Teahen is not a fantastic player, he brings more to the plate than Getz does.

And of course Getz makes much less money than Teahen, he's a 2nd year player. Teahen is in his arbitration seasons (and has a contract through those two plus his final year).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)

Oh my lord.. wite has seen the light!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

And as far as this poll, i'll say Kotsay as well cause of the reason Kalapse brings, though Teahen isn't looking good right now, though he's on pace to walk more than he ever has in a season cause of his discipline. (hey he might live up to the money ball ways after all :P)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Getz costs considerably less money.

I am usually not concerned about salaries, but with with my summer vacation coming up, I could use some of that money.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
psh, at least linebrink helped us get into the playoffs in 08

And its a lot easier to hide a bad reliever in the back of your bullpen. Teahen was signed to be our everyday 3rd basemen, cant hide him when hes in the lineup daily.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
And its a lot easier to hide a bad reliever in the back of your bullpen. Teahen was signed to be our everyday 3rd basemen, cant hide him when hes in the lineup daily.

and unfortunately to an extension

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
Man what can be done with Teahen if he does suck? Could he even be traded?

Right, now? We play Vizquel at 3rd, Nix at 3rd, We move Beckham to 3rd and Nix plays everyday at 2nd, or we promote Viciedo (and cross our fingers).

It's a little early to be talking about trading Mark Teahen.

Let's give the season at least 3 weeks before we start talking about benching players...not to mention the weather conditions are far from ideal for hitting.

Does Teahan have a relatively short rope, compared to some of the others around here like Ramirez? Sure. But Brent Morel or Viciedo are both far from ready for everyday duty, and there's that slight matter of the extension that KW felt justified in giving to him.

We all saw how Nix struggled when he was moved all around...he might get an occasional start in the first month, but he's not going to be getting regular at-bats in any type of scenario except for Teahen going 0 for the first three weeks or something dramatic like that.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
How long b4 KW gets pissed and signs Dye or someone else to hit DH??

With our supposed payroll situation....never.

It would be like admitting that letting Thome and Dye go was a mistake, and he doesn't do that very often.

Not to mention the biggest need is for LH pop. For all we know, Andruw Jones could very easily put up the same numbers as Dye at 1/5th the price with much better defense.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Right, now? We play Vizquel at 3rd, Nix at 3rd, We move Beckham to 3rd and Nix plays everyday at 2nd, or we promote Viciedo (and cross our fingers).

none of those options are any better. playing vizquel at 3rd is much worse. moving beckham around again is dumb. and as i have stated before viciedo is not ever playing 3b in the majors

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
none of those options are any better. playing vizquel at 3rd is much worse. moving beckham around again is dumb. and as i have stated before viciedo is not ever playing 3b in the majors

Agreed, the optimal one out of those is Nix at 2nd and Beckham at 3rd and we should not be shuffling Gordon around like that. I have that Teahen will work it out. For all those missing Chris Getz, don't. He was neither a good hitter, nor a good defender. He was simply a grinder, and we're seeing what an offense full of grinders comes to at the present.

Let's hold off on pronouncing Viciedo at 3B dead for now.

Playing Vizquel at 3B isn't worse because he gives you much better defense at any position you play him (certainly better than Teahen) and he can lay down a bunt and advance runners at a very minimum. He's not a good hitter, but he's a smart situational hitter.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Let's hold off on pronouncing Viciedo at 3B dead for now.

Playing Vizquel at 3B isn't worse because he gives you much better defense at any position you play him (certainly better than Teahen) and he can lay down a bunt and advance runners at a very minimum. He's not a good hitter, but he's a smart situational hitter.

Omar Vizquel would be an absurdly bad option to play everyday in the AL. He cannont hit, all the defense in the world, isn't going to make up for that.