The #2 and #5 spots in the lineup...

SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:15 PM)
ahh, the defer to management because they have jobs in management and we don't so they must always be right school of thought. Brilliant.

Terry Bevington, brilliant baseball mind. He was a manager, you know!

But even Terry Bevington would wax anyone on this board.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
Gordon Beckham is a .270-to-.280 hitter until further notice. People already have him in the hall of fame, for some odd reason.

It is also not beyond the realm of possibility for Konerko or Andruw Jones to get a base bit.

Well, then Andruw Jones is about a .220 hitter until further notice.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
But even Terry Bevington would wax anyone on this board.

Well I would consider Steve Stone a pretty good baseball mind and he thought that Pierre should of tested the bad throwing catcher instead of bunting him over on the first pitch.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Gordon Beckham is a .270-to-.280 hitter until further notice. People already have him in the hall of fame, for some odd reason.

It is also not beyond the realm of possibility for Konerko or Andruw Jones to get a base bit.

Nor is it that Beckham would. In fact, it's a better bet than andruw jones, rios, teahan and alexei. A far better bet.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
Except we all know that he's much better than that.

I don't know if Beckham can clear .275. It remains to be seen.

We do? Unless he's on the same "diet" he was when he was back in Atlanta, it's very possible he's just washed up.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
Well I would consider Steve Stone a pretty good baseball mind and he thought that Pierre should of tested the bad throwing catcher instead of bunting him over on the first pitch.

Steve Stone is the best baseball man that I know, and I'd have been game to test Marson if they'd have had a right-handed reliever out there.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
Steve Stone is the best baseball man that I know, and I'd have been game to test Marson if they'd have had a right-handed reliever out there.

We did the same thing in the 7th inning also with a righty on the mound.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)
Was spring training last year?

Who cares about Spring Training? It's the perfect setting for Jones, since he can't hit good offspeed pitches. We all know how the ball doesn't curve as much in Arizona.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Was spring training last year?

Since when do spring stats mean a damn thing? Maybe we should hit Kotsay 3rd since he batted .382 in March. s*** Vernon Wells had an OPS just over .700 during the spring, his current OPS is around 2.500.

It's pretty easy to launch in Arizona when you're seeing nothing but fastballs and awful offspeed pitches, the game changes a bit when you come north.

From what I saw of Andruw Jones throughout spring training, he's much better than just a .220 caliber hitter. A good 30 to 40 points better. I don't know how this is even arguable. I also don't know how Kalapse and Balta thought I was basing my opinion on the first three regular season games. I thought that y'all were much smarter than that.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
From what I saw of Andruw Jones throughout spring training, he's much better than just a .220 caliber hitter. A good 30 to 40 points better. I don't know how this is even arguable. I also don't know how Kalapse and Balta thought I was basing my opinion on the first three regular season games. I thought that y'all were much smarter than that.

His last three seasons he hit .222, .158, & .214. I think considering him a .220 caliber hitter is right on the money. Spring training means little. You have to prove it in the regular season, which he hasnt done in four years.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)

Hammerhead...here's the thing. I think Jones will probably be better than a .220 hitter, although if he is a .220 hitter I'd expect it's a powerful .220.

But you have less evidence that Jones is better than a .220 hitter than we have for Beckham being ready to be a .300 hitter. Beckham hit .286 after he got over his initial first 30 at bat slump last year. Beckham hit .290 in ST.

You can't possibly argue that Jones is a .275 hitter and then refuse to think that Beckham could be better than .270.