New DH should be TCQ

On this team the DH should be Pierre. If Oz wants a prototypical leadoff hitter that's fine. But TCQ, Rios and Jones have to be in the lineup everyday to add power. And Pierre is the worst of those defenders. CQ can be in left if need be.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Pierre has the worst arm, but I'm not convinced that he is the worst defender. TCQ seems slow out there.

CQ is moving a lot better than he was last year, at least to my eyes. Although, that's not saying much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
CQ is moving a lot better than he was last year, at least to my eyes. Although, that's not saying much.

I actually think he's been moving pretty decently out there. He's probably still the worst of the 4 outfielders if Andruw is going to play but at this point, no one is sure if he's going to be comfortable dh'ing and his bat his too damn important to have him make that switch. Now if his defense becomes a liability then that's a different story, but at this point it's certainly not.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
I actually think he's been moving pretty decently out there. He's probably still the worst of the 4 outfielders if Andruw is going to play but at this point, no one is sure if he's going to be comfortable dh'ing and his bat his too damn important to have him make that switch. Now if his defense becomes a liability then that's a different story, but at this point it's certainly not.

He's probably the worst of the OF's when it comes to range and, although the shoulder injury may have taken a toll, probably one of the better ones when it comes to throwing.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
I really hope Ozzie will tinker a bit through April and May.

I hope that some of the guys who are helping us to a .158 team batting average pick it up, so that Ozzie has the opportunity to tinker, rather than just having to bench guys for hitting .100.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
I hope that some of the guys who are helping us to a .158 team batting average pick it up, so that Ozzie has the opportunity to tinker, rather than just having to bench guys for hitting .100.

Amen.

After giving this some thought... I think CQ at DH would be a really bad idea. The way this guy stews and gets pissed after even a single swing...imagine him having to sit for 2 innings stewing over a bad at bat....

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
After giving this some thought... I think CQ at DH would be a really bad idea. The way this guy stews and gets pissed after even a single swing...imagine him having to sit for 2 innings stewing over a bad at bat....

This whole 'stewing' thing is being overplayed. We don't really know if it would adversely affect his at bats. It might be more stress relieving to hang out with the rest of the bench players and joke around in between at bats than to 'stew' out in the OF all alone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
He's probably the worst of the OF's when it comes to range and, although the shoulder injury may have taken a toll, probably one of the better ones when it comes to throwing.

Eh, I'd still say he's 3rd in throwing when you count in accuracy and strength.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Until Jones proves that he's a better CFer than Rios (which I doubt is still the case), Rios should remain in CF.

I agree Jones should first prove that he's the better centerfielder by not playing the position!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
This whole 'stewing' thing is being overplayed. We don't really know if it would adversely affect his at bats. It might be more stress relieving to hang out with the rest of the bench players and joke around in between at bats than to 'stew' out in the OF all alone.

I have never heard a baseball player say this. I have, however heard many say the exact opposite.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)

Maybe he can go look at a mirror and work on his swing. Didn't Big Frank go to a batting cage between at bats. I'm not sure I want to build the Sox around what Carlos wants. I'd build it around what gives the Sox the best chance to win now. I'd let him play left if it really affected his hitting. The Sox should be built around Peavy and Beckham if special treatment is to be given.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
I have never heard a baseball player say this. I have, however heard many say the exact opposite.

I didn't realize you did a scientific study on this. I'd like to look at your detailed findings.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)

IF Carlos really can't handle failure to the point where he can't sit on a bench and focus on his next at-bat, then he has a serious pyschological problem. . If anything this will give him even more time to go down to the batting cage and take some hacks.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
I didn't realize you did a scientific study on this. I'd like to look at your detailed findings.

It's pretty common knowledge that most baseball players as long as they're still capable of playing a position absolutely despise being the dh.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Until Jones proves that he's a better CFer than Rios (which I doubt is still the case), Rios should remain in CF.

Jones was a better CF than Rios about five years ago, and it's highly unlikely that his age and weight/injury issues will help him get back to that point. Like Griffey, he's a corner OF/DH now.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)

Give me a break. There's a reason so many players refuse to move to DH and fight it well into their mid 30's even after they've received the last big contracts of their careers. It takes a special kind of hitter to be able to participate only 4 to 5 times throughout a game. Just do a google search on it and you'll see quote after quote about the DH position "taking them out of the game" or "giving them too much time to think about their ABs on the bench".

It's f***ing baseball discussion; anecdotal evidence goes a long way.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Jones was a better CF than Rios about five years ago, and it's highly unlikely that his age and weight/injury issues will help him get back to that point. Like Griffey, he's a corner OF/DH now.

You don't have to go 5 years back, just 2007 when he was last in shape he was a super elite defender.

yeah, i'm willing to see andruw in CF, because a OF defense of pierre, jones (if better) and rios will save a lot of runs that we clearly need because our manager feels so much more creative with all these bad players!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
IF Carlos really can't handle failure to the point where he can't sit on a bench and focus on his next at-bat, then he has a serious pyschological problem. . If anything this will give him even more time to go down to the batting cage and take some hacks.

Well he is one of the few baseball players who has admitted to seeing a Sports Psychologist. You act like he'd be the first to no be able to handle the DH position, believe it or not a large portion of athletes have weak mental faculties. They're not robots.

If Ozzie thinks it's a good idea I'm sure he'll go for it since he does know CQ infinitely better than any of us but on the surface I can see why it wouldn't work.