Ozzie please resign, I know you can't sit through this again

caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Just saying that the offense will come around won't make it so. Yes, the pitching will keep us in games all season long because there are a lot of quality pitchers on the staff. The problem is that the offense will suck. At it's peak, it can be slightly more than mediocre. It's filled with a bunch of mediocre/crappy players and a couple of good ones. We're going to see a lot of 1-0, 2-1, and 3-1 losses this season.

EDIT: And as I type this, Juan Pierre makes a mistake in the outfield (he really brings nothing to the table) and we bring in Linebrink. God, this sucks.

This is true. However, there's the expectations of the offense (based on past performance) which is much better than that absolute crap we've seen this first week. It is very reasonable to expect this offense to be better. Not great, but better.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
This is true. However, there's the expectations of the offense (based on past performance) which is much better than that absolute crap we've seen this first week. It is very reasonable to expect this offense to be better. Not great, but better.

This is actually exactly what a lot of us expected the offense to be. Hell, i projected us to be the same or worse as last years offense multiple times. Sp, please don't say this is a suprise or that's unreasonable to think that this will continue.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
This is actually exactly what a lot of us expected the offense to be. Hell, i projected us to be the same or worse as last years offense multiple times. Sp, please don't say this is a suprise or that's unreasonable to think that this will continue.

Really? You expected an offense that averages 3.2 runs a game (~520 total runs scored on the season)? I know the projections weren't good, but nobody projected it to be worse than the 2009 Pirates by 100 runs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)

So you believe that Pierre will hit .150, Beckham will hit .222, Kotsay will hit .100, Rios & Pierzynski .211, Alexei .158, and Teahen .091 for the entire season?

Otherwise it is unreasonable to think this will continue.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
So you believe that Pierre will hit .150, Beckham will hit .222, Kotsay will hit .100, Rios & Pierzynski .211, Alexei .158, and Teahen .091 for the entire season?

Otherwise it is unreasonable to think this will continue.

No, i think things will improve. Just not to the point where we're anything above a below-average offense.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
No, i think things will improve. Just not to the point where we're anything above a below-average offense.

Given that the team has lost all 4 games by two runs or less, a little improvement will go a long way in the W column.

The problem is that the offense will suck. At it's peak, it can be slightly more than mediocre. It's filled with a bunch of mediocre/crappy players and a couple of good ones. We're going to see a lot of 1-0, 2-1, and 3-1 losses this season.

I tend to agree with Milkman. I hope Kenny has a Plan B in mind to reconstruct the lineup a bit before we are 10 games out.

Winning tomorrow might be wise. Maybe our new Sunday lineup can score 7 runs. A 7-3 win? How bout it?

Oz should throw a few tables if we finish this homestand 1-5.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Kenny needs to take a Louisville Slugger into Ozzie's offense and remind him: This is the American League -- before we're a dozen games out.

Ozzie is the perfect scapegoat this year. Kenny and Jerry need to either develop the farm system or spend money.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Really? You expected an offense that averages 3.2 runs a game (~520 total runs scored on the season)? I know the projections weren't good, but nobody projected it to be worse than the 2009 Pirates by 100 runs.

I ran the projections again just to check the numbers, and they actually came out worse this time. The 2010 White Sox according to the average projection between CHONE, Bill James, ZIPS and Marcel are projected to score 720 runs this year. Four worse then last. Also we scored 724 last year, and The Pirates scored 636. Now sure where you got those numbers.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
I ran the projections again just because I love being questioned, and they actually came out worse this time. The 2010 White Sox according to the average projection between CHONE, Bill James, ZIPS and Marcel are projected to score 720 runs this year. Four worse then last. Also we scored 724 last year, and The Pirates scored 636. Now sure where you got those numbers.

I was taking your earlier statement literally when you said this current offense is what you expected. At the current pace, the Sox would score about 520 runs. I read the site enough to know you've run the projections during the offseason, so I was just being a bit of an ass about it!

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
I was taking your earlier statement literally when you said this current offense is what you expected. At the current pace, the Sox would score about 520 runs. I read the site enough to know you've run the projections during the offseason, so I was just being a bit of an ass about it!

Being an ass is my gig, Disco 72. You lay off. :lolhitting We're good. We're going to be a pretty bad offensive team, but not this bad.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Being an ass is my gig, Disco 72. You lay off. :lolhitting We're good. We're going to be a pretty bad offensive team, but not this bad.

Haha...I'll try not to infringe on that territory! I don't think this can be a great offense, but I think it can be good enough... and certainly better than the craptacular display the last week.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
He doesn't care about anyones feelings on this, and he isn't resigning. So this is pointless.

And thank God for that. Anyone who cares what the fans on a message board think of how to manage a baseball team need to be fired on the spot.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
Ozzie should be fired for telling his company's customers to take their business to the competition.

Also, I thought I heard him say something on CTL before the game about "idiots" that think they know baseball and something like "that's why they have to get up at 4:00 in the morning and I have this bleepin' job." Very condescending to the fans.

Couple this with his poor eye for talent, his poor in-game managing and his inability to make out a decent lineup and I think he has finally worn out his welcome. I liked Ozzie but his time has come. He wanted this mess of a roster so now he has to take the blame for wasting this great pitching staff. Yes, it's early, but if he's going to insult the fans who are upset at his team's poor performance it's already time for him to go. Maybe some fans are overreacting, but you don't insult your fans.

Compared to what a guy who has been doing this all of his life knows... he is right.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
I'm sure there are quite a few idiots out there, but it's no reason for him to be saying those things.

And I hope you mean "dumb" in the sense of baseball, as I'm sure Ozzie knows more than most in that regard. I'd wager that quite a lot of people are more intelligent than him, though.

the last part is 100% true. The guy is like a sixth or seventh grade dropout if I remember correctly. He pretty much quit school to play baseball.

Ozzie is a little thin-skinned for an MLB manager. He ate up all the genius talk in 2005 and now even Oney yaps about how the White Sox knew nothing about winning until the Guillens came to town. Of course Ozzie's .525 winning pct. looks pretty good against Jerry Manuel's .515, even though that's only 1.5 extra wins a year, but pales in comparison to Gene Lamont's .551. There are very few managers/coaches/GMs that aren't eventually going to be called an idiot by a lot of people. Ozzie is no exception.

He shouldn't be popping off, and he also shouldn't resign. Its 5 games. See how you feel a month from now. I still feel if they don't hit soon, KW's trigger is going to be a lot quicker than normal considering he wasn't entirely sold on the current plan in the first place.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Ozzie is the perfect scapegoat this year. Kenny and Jerry need to either develop the farm system or spend money.

Ownership of this roster is all on Ozzie, this is the team he wants, he said so himself.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
Ownership of this roster is all on Ozzie, this is the team he wants, he said so himself.

Well part of it has to be on Kenny too. He has final say in making the roster, and thus the power to shoot down Ozzie's idiotic ideas about how the everyday lineup should be constructed.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Well part of it has to be on Kenny too. He has final say in making the roster, and thus the power to shoot down Ozzie's idiotic ideas about how the everyday lineup should be constructed.

Yeah... but at the same time that's why he has Ozzie. It's easier to hold Ozzie accountable if you give him what he wants and let him run the team the way he wants. Still, I agree.

Didn't a lot of this place pick the Sox to win like 94 games in the recent poll ? Maybe everyone's pissed because the Sox are making them look like idiots , pissed at themselves for actually having faith that the pitching would overcome the offense.The close but consecutive losses at home to division rivals to open the season has ruptured that faith and instilled feelings of naivete and gullibility much like a wife who's husband cheated on her during the honeymoon.