The positive of 2010

hi8is

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
Dewayne Wise isn't on our active roster. That's a positive.

I also recently deleted Joe Cowley's twitter from my profile, so I no longer have to read his "journalism" anymore; also positive.

I'm on a roll!

But in a more serious tone, the starting pitching (and pitching in general) has been outstanding. Honestly, Peavy looked the worst of the 5 this first time around, but I'm still putting that one on the drastic change of sunny San Diego to bitterly cold, April Chicago nights.

And man, Freddy looked pretty good too. I know he had like 5 walks, but I'll take 2 over 7 any day of the week from my number 5. Props to him! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
The Sox are 1-4 for the first time since 2006, when they finished 90-72. I'd love to see how this place reacted in 06.

Read this: gamethread at 1-4

One of those threads claimed that Thornton was a BP machine.

I'll just copy and paste this:

f***ING DISGUSTING. It's almost as if they talk to themselves between innings and say, "How can we lose in the most excruciating way possible?"

It's time for Buehrle to step up tomorrow.

Edited by G&T

That 2005 team was also coming off a World Series championship...

Yes, we can always point to the recent Cardinals team or the 1987/1991 Minnesota Twins and make the argument that you only have to reach the playoffs and get hot at the right moment and sustain it for 2-3 weeks.

Pretty much a given. But the difference is that team also had the best offense in the major leagues through the All-Star break. Whereas a lot of things have to break right for this offense to be even close to the "average" that was the 2005 team.

Not only that, but hitting with RISP as well as fundamentals/execution, something we have only done well for one out of the last 3 1/2 seasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
That 2005 team was also coming off a World Series championship...

Yes, we can always point to the recent Cardinals team or the 1987/1991 Minnesota Twins and make the argument that you only have to reach the playoffs and get hot at the right moment and sustain it for 2-3 weeks.

Pretty much a given. But the difference is that team also had the best offense in the major leagues through the All-Star break. Whereas a lot of things have to break right for this offense to be even close to the "average" that was the 2005 team.

Not only that, but hitting with RISP as well as fundamentals/execution, something we have only done well for one out of the last 3 1/2 seasons.

The 2006 team starting off 1-4 was FAR worse than this team starting out 1-4. That 2006 team was coming off a world championship and added significant pieces in the offseason. In either case, it shows that panicing after a 1-4 start makes little sense.

Looking at the negatives right now would be very easy. There are some positives, however. The pitching has been good. Not necessarily stellar, but good. With some hits in the right places, this team is 3-2 or 4-1. Rios looks great. He's hitting the ball hard, which is something he didn't do at all last year. Konerko looks like he's on his way to another decent year. He could smack 30+ HRs. And, Quentin isn't hurt...yet.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
First week pitching stats are encouraging: Sox 2nd in the league in staff ERA (2.95), 2nd in strikeouts (50), 2nd in runs allowed (20), fewest HR's allowed (1). The only bad thing is that they're 2nd to last in walks allowed (26).

Pitching, including both rotation and bullpen, have been great. Defense is improved too.

The good news is, as much as we all bash guys like Pierre, Kotsay, Jones and Teahen (with good reason), even those guys are NOT going to continue hitting like .100.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Pitching, including both rotation and bullpen, have been great. Defense is improved too.

The good news is, as much as we all bash guys like Pierre, Kotsay, Jones and Teahen (with good reason), even those guys are NOT going to continue hitting like .100.

No they are not going to continue to hit that poorly. But you gotta think ahead and recognize that Kotsay should not even be given the chance to hit his way out of it. He is on the downside of his career and hasnt been a regular since 2006, when he hit a whopping 7 hrs in 502 ABs. He is a role player and any significant at bats he is given is detrimental to a team that is going to be in a dogfight for a playoff spot. Why do we need to see him get 100 ABs to recognize that? He is not going to suddenly become a productive player.

Jones hasn't been good for years but I suppose he may have some upside if you believe in his newfound health and fitness. I have my doubts but I am willing to see if he can help.

Pierre and Teahan are both average at best players. We don't really have any other options there however.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
No they are not going to continue to hit that poorly. But you gotta think ahead and recognize that Kotsay should not even be given the chance to hit his way out of it. He is on the downside of his career and hasnt been a regular since 2006, when he hit a whopping 7 hrs in 502 ABs. He is a role player and any significant at bats he is given is detrimental to a team that is going to be in a dogfight for a playoff spot. Why do we need to see him get 100 ABs to recognize that? He is not going to suddenly become a productive player.

Jones hasn't been good for years but I suppose he may have some upside if you believe in his newfound health and fitness. I have my doubts but I am willing to see if he can help.

Pierre and Teahan are both average at best players. We don't really have any other options there however.

I don't disagree with any of those points.

And while Jones is apparently in good shape, my concern is that his swing has looked terrible so far. He appears to be swinging for the fences every time, and he looks like he's flailing up there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
I don't disagree with any of those points.

And while Jones is apparently in good shape, my concern is that his swing has looked terrible so far. He appears to be swinging for the fences every time, and he looks like he's flailing up there.

The first good swing I saw him take this year won the game last night.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
And I actually didn't get to see that swing (only saw parts of yesterday's game), so maybe that's a sign he's calming down a bit. Hopefully.

Got out in front of a high inside fastball and drove it to LF.