Thank God the Twins missed on Garrett Jones at least

caulfield12

Jones hit 158 home runs in 1,038 minor league games, big numbers possible only for a player unwanted by the major leagues. Drafted in 1999 by the Atlanta Braves and released in 2002, he was picked up by the Minnesota Twins and languished in the system behind Justin Morneau(notes) at first base and Michael Cuddyer(notes) in right field. Rochester is a Twins’ affiliate, and Jones was there so long he could have been elected mayor.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire liked his power potential, but others in the organization didn’t think he made enough contact and doubted his defensive ability. Jones’ batting average rose and his strikeout total dropped, but his only taste of the big leagues came in four short stints in 2007. When he delivered a walkoff home run to win Rochester’s season finale in 2008, he figured the Twins would make him a September call-up.

He figured wrong, the last in a long line of disappointments, and he left the organization as a minor league free agent. His best opportunity had come and gone a year earlier when it appeared the left field job was open in Minneapolis. But the Twins made a trade they have since regretted, sending pitcher Matt Garza(notes) and shortstop Jason Bartlett(notes) to the Rays for outfielder Delmon Young(notes), who in more than 1,000 at-bats since the deal has hit one fewer home run than Jones has hit in about 325 at-bats with Pittsburgh.

“I felt that if I’d had a shot I definitely could have competed for that spot,” Jones said.

Instead, it was one more year at Rochester before free agency.

www.yahoo.com/sports

there was no room for him. Last year the Twins had Span, Young, Kubel, Cuddyer, and Carlos Gomez all rotating around.

I do take exception to one line form the piece: But the Twins made a trade they have since regretted, sending pitcher Matt Garza(notes) and shortstop Jason Bartlett(notes) to the Rays for outfielder Delmon Young(notes)

I dont think the Twins publicly or privately (through reporters) have once said that they regret the trade. The some fans (maybe its a 50/50 split) were against it at the time (the Statheads bloggers) or have come around it regretting it (after watching Delomns god awful defense and failing away at a 1st pitch outside the zone to dribble it back to the pitcher). But the Brass, they are sticking by it. Gardy seems to like Delmon. Teammates seem to like him too. So I dont know where the writer got his info

I cant believe I spent a few minutes of my life defending Delmon Young :lol:

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
there was no room for him. Last year the Twins had Span, Young, Kubel, Cuddyer, and Carlos Gomez all rotating around.

I do take exception to one line form the piece: But the Twins made a trade they have since regretted, sending pitcher Matt Garza(notes) and shortstop Jason Bartlett(notes) to the Rays for outfielder Delmon Young(notes)

I dont think the Twins publicly or privately (through reporters) have once said that they regret the trade. The some fans (maybe its a 50/50 split) were against it at the time (the Statheads bloggers) or have come around it regretting it (after watching Delomns god awful defense and failing away at a 1st pitch outside the zone to dribble it back to the pitcher). But the Brass, they are sticking by it. Gardy seems to like Delmon. Teammates seem to like him too. So I dont know where the writer got his info

I cant believe I spent a few minutes of my life defending Delmon Young :lol:

So you don't think it was a bad trade? I think it was pretty awful. I'm glad y'all made it, though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
So you don't think it was a bad trade? I think it was pretty awful. I'm glad y'all made it, though.

Back then, I had no idea how bad Delmon's defense was. With how Hawk talked about him, you'd think he was actually good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Same here. But many were pretty high on Matt Garza.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
I loved Garza. Still do.

I thought it was an amazing trade for the Rays. Still do. (and I was a big Young fan at the time but Garza was very good.. and a pitcher.)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
I loved Garza. Still do.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
I thought it was an amazing trade for the Rays. Still do. (and I was a big Young fan at the time but Garza was very good.. and a pitcher.)

I remember being scared out of my mind at the prospects of Santana/Liriano at the top of their rotation with Garza on the way in 2006.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)

now, yes I do. But at the time I was all for it. The Twins need a right handed bat. And at the time the Twins had a surplus of ptiching. Would I have traded Garza, probably not but Im not making the decisions

I will say this. Delmon has looked more competent at the plate during this first week of the season. He drew a walk against Buerhle! maybe he has turned a corner

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

You also have to consider how mightily the Twins have struggled when Punto had to be the regular SS...offensively, he's just not a regular, at 2B, 3B, wherever you stick him, it creates a pretty big hole. Then finally covered it up with Orlando Cabrera for a half season. Hudson will really solidify 2B if he can stay healthy, although you have to be concerned about the back end of the pen more than anything at this moment. The left side of the infield and Rauch are the only weaknesses that are obvious with the current Twins' squad.

Now with the Twins' offense these days, they can afford to have Punto/Harris in the line-up and not suffer too greatly.

Surely the Twins would have won the division in 2008 and 2009 with Garza and Bartlett. They almost did without them. And Twins would have had a really nice infield had Bartlett stuck around and Alexi Casilla become the player it at one time looked he was capable of becoming.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
I remember being scared out of my mind at the prospects of Santana/Liriano at the top of their rotation with Garza on the way in 2006.

I remember being scared out of my mind at the prospect of facing Delmon Young 19 times a year after he demolished us in basically his first series after his callup with the Rays.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 05:11 AM)
now, yes I do. But at the time I was all for it. The Twins need a right handed bat. And at the time the Twins had a surplus of ptiching. Would I have traded Garza, probably not but Im not making the decisions

I will say this. Delmon has looked more competent at the plate during this first week of the season. He drew a walk against Buerhle! maybe he has turned a corner

I agree. He has looked better and you can't overlook his potential to still be a force in that lineup.