4/11 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Has D2 made an out any way other than a strikeout?

I don't care how many extra-base hits he he has or his average, if he continually Ks at the current rate (1.5 per game) he will never be a solid major leaguer. And even if he cuts that to just one per game unless he hits for power like Howard or Reynolds, it still isn't going to cut it. Jordan brings a lot to the table athletically and other ways, but I just can't be excited over him til his K rate comes down significantly.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
I don't care how many extra-base hits he he has or his average, if he continually Ks at the current rate (1.5 per game) he will never be a solid major leaguer. And even if he cuts that to just one per game unless he hits for power like Howard or Reynolds, it still isn't going to cut it. Jordan brings a lot to the table athletically and other ways, but I just can't be excited over him til his K rate comes down significantly.

He needs to improve his K-rate, but you can still strike out and be a very valuable player, especially with his defense. Both Granderson and Sizemore strike out at terrible rates and great players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
He needs to improve his K-rate, but you can still strike out and be a very valuable player, especially with his defense. Both Granderson and Sizemore strike out at terrible rates and great players.

But...their strikeouts have been the key thing preventing them from becoming elite players. And there are a number of players with similar skill sets who have thus far not become great players because of how often they're striking out (Upton, Young come to mind).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
But...their strikeouts have been the key thing preventing them from becoming elite players. And there are a number of players with similar skill sets who have thus far not become great players because of how often they're striking out (Upton, Young come to mind).

I would say both Granderson and Sizemore are elite players in this league.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
I would say both Granderson and Sizemore are elite players in this league.

Well, let me put it this way then...remember a few years ago how Sizemore was the fashionable MVP pick pre-season, in say 2007 or so? I'd say that the single reason he never has reached that level is the strikeouts.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)

The Sox are 4-2 and you want to beat up on the minor leaguers??? 2010 Stats:

Rios 23AB 1R 4H 2DBL 1HR 3RBI 3BB 4SO ($69M)

Quentin 18AB 6H 2DBL 1HR 3RBI 5BB/HBP 2SO

Beckham 22AB 3R 5H 1DBL 1HR 1RBI 3BB 4SO

Danks2 17AB 5R 5H 2DBL 1HR 2RBI 3BB 6SO 1 TRPL ($1800p mo)

Yeah, what a loser JorDanks has been so far..... Put down the nachos and exercise....... hahahahahaha

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)

Both Granderson and Sizemore have 25/30 HR power. Big difference.

QUOTE (hometeamfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)

Yeah, what a loser JorDanks has been so far..... Put down the nachos and exercise....... hahahahahaha

uh, wha?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
Both Granderson and Sizemore have 25/30 HR power. Big difference.

Granderson showed power in the minors, but Sizemore never really did. Sizemore hit 27 minor league homers and 161 XBHs in 2312 minor league PA's. He's a much better hitter than that in the majors. Then again, Sizemore didn't strike out nearly as much as Danks did either.

I'm not worried yet. They project 15 homer power for Danks. That's decent power, and if he's as good defensively as Buddy Bell says he is (and some guys on here have agreed), he'll be a fine player.

Are you drunk or something? What is the meaning of this post, and what does it have to do with... anything?

Besides you having no idea what the Sox record is, what exactly do major leaguers have to do with the future potential of Danks?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
Kannapolis Intimidators vs. Rome Braves

Matt Wickswat vs. Arodys Vizcaino should be a good matchup.

Well you were way off on that one bro. :D

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
Escobar keeps hitting- 2/3, 2B, BB, SO.

Dan is gonna be very happy to hear this.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)
Who the hell is Matt Wickswat?

Undrafted FA signing by us. If I remember correctly, he was the ace of SCU for a while before he hit the injury bug. Judging by his numbers and bio, he's not overpowering, but locates well and likes to keep hitters off-balance. (good changeup)

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
It's going to be a long, sad season in Birmingham.

Yea I feel bad for ya John.. :lol: Going from the "dream team" sort of speak from last year, to really an below average Baron team. Don't worry though, the second half could be good, or next season as W-S has a very good team this year and IMO, some of those guys can move up this year at the rate they are going. It's a shame Mitchell isn't out there.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
He's a pitcher for Kannapolis.

Well I figured that out. lol. I just was surprised that I had never heard of him. I'm pretty up to date on all our current minor leaguers (even the many scrubs that have no chance of sniffing the majors). But I had never heard of this guy until today.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
Yea I feel bad for ya John.. :lol: Going from the "dream team" sort of speak from last year, to really an below average Baron team. Don't worry though, the second half could be good, or next season as W-S has a very good team this year and IMO, some of those guys can move up this year at the rate they are going. It's a shame Mitchell isn't out there.

Of course, I haven't even mentioned what this year's bobblehead will be...