AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

"It worked, so it was the right strategy" is something you hear Joe Morgan say, and of course Joe Morgan is arguably the worst commentator on TV. Just because you played with the odds and got lucky doesn't mean it was the right decision, over an option that had higher odds of success. I wasn't that upset with Ozzie for leaving Mark out there, though. Mark was cruising, and it's not a bad idea to keep the bullpen fresh.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Good win. Long time coming.

Just a couple things to point out as to where a win pretty much shuts everybody up. Only winning can shut people up.

a.) Ozzie left Mark in to start the eighth inning. I know in the game thread some were upset that Oz didn't get Mark out of there. Can you imagine if Mark got lit up in the eighth? Some would have crucified Oz, at least in the game thread. He mowed down the Twins in the eighth and shut everybody up. I just point this out because Oz's strategy worked this time. When it works, nobody says anything.

b.) Thome blasts it off the wall. Only a truly idiotic third base coaching decision prevented the Twins from having second and third and still having a chance to win. Can you imagine the meltdown concerning Bobby had it been second and third and the next batter followed with a hit?

Also, people like me would be again furious that we decided to let Thome go. He sure had no trouble taking Bobby's heater off the lf wall. I think Thome still would have been an effective member of the Sox.

What I'm trying to say it ... just win, baby.

A whole lot of people are pissed off that Thome is playing for our biggest rival.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
"It worked, so it was the right strategy" is something you hear Joe Morgan say, and of course Joe Morgan is arguably the worst commentator on TV. Just because you played with the odds and got lucky doesn't mean it was the right decision, over an option that had higher odds of success. I wasn't that upset with Ozzie for leaving Mark out there, though. Mark was cruising, and it's not a bad idea to keep the bullpen fresh.

I wanted Mark out of there because Hudson was coming up and he had hit Buehrle very hard the first two ABs.

When you have Mauer and Morneau coming up after him, you really don't want him on base.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
I wanted Mark out of there because Hudson was coming up and he had hit Buehrle very hard the first two ABs.

When you have Mauer and Morneau coming up after him, you really don't want him on base.

I wanted Mark out of there too but it wasn't something I wanted to scream about (like, say, Kotsay hitting 5th and the fact that he had a HR today doesn't change anything).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Why? He had two pretty easy outs, Hardy broke his bat and blooped a single, looked pretty good to me. Clearly bad pitch selection by AJ to Thome, but Jenks's stuff is all there.

Because there is a rule in April/May of every season Sox fans have to complain and worry about Bobby Jenks.

It's tradition.

The bullpen has been absolutely abused this week in terms of how much it's been used, particularly considering we don't have a long reliever. Combine that with Buehrle being in a major rhythm and ending up with a not too bad pitch count of 114, as well as the possibility of extra innings (and more bullpen overuse) looming along with 7 road games in 7 days starting tomorrow, and I don't see how anybody can argue he was left in too long honestly.

As for the win today, thank goodness that 3rd base coach made the worst send in the history of baseball because Bobby Jenks cannot be trusted. We'll take the win though, hopefully our luck is better in Toronto this season than it has been in the recent past. I just wish we could hit because this pitching staff is awesome.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
The bullpen has been absolutely abused this week in terms of how much it's been used, particularly considering we don't have a long reliever. Combine that with Buehrle being in a major rhythm and ending up with a not too bad pitch count of 114, as well as the possibility of extra innings (and more bullpen overuse) looming along with 7 road games in 7 days starting tomorrow, and I don't see how anybody can argue he was left in too long honestly.

It's slipping my mind now, but why again didn't we bring back Carrasco? Someone posted an article a ways back about the value of long relievers and he was far and away the best in some arbitrary rating system that I can't remember (yes, I know, I'm not really contributing anything at this point). Point is, Carrasco got a flack early but turned into a great long guy, and I can't remember why we didn't bring him back. Was it that he wanted to be a starter somewhere..?

Truthfully, we need our starters to do what Mark did today in a vast majority of our games or we have no chance of doing anything. Our hitting is that bad we need our starters to dominate all season.

They got to go at least deep into the seventh, preferably all the way through seven, maybe 7 1/3. Then Oz can pick and choose with the lefty, ritey bulls*** leading up to Jenks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Truthfully, we need our starters to do what Mark did today in a vast majority of our games or we have no chance of doing anything. Our hitting is that bad we need our starters to dominate all season.

They got to go at least deep into the seventh, preferably all the way through seven, maybe 7 1/3. Then Oz can pick and choose with the lefty, ritey bulls*** leading up to Jenks.

Well, that's not going to happen. Our rotation is good. But we're not getting 7 innings per start from all of them.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
It's slipping my mind now, but why again didn't we bring back Carrasco? Someone posted an article a ways back about the value of long relievers and he was far and away the best in some arbitrary rating system that I can't remember (yes, I know, I'm not really contributing anything at this point). Point is, Carrasco got a flack early but turned into a great long guy, and I can't remember why we didn't bring him back. Was it that he wanted to be a starter somewhere..?

The Sox didn't want to spend $1+ mill on a pitcher who essentially pitched in meaningless situations, even if he was very good at it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
The Sox didn't want to spend $1+ mill on a pitcher who essentially pitched in meaningless situations, even if he was very good at it.

Considering the situation now (and I know how supposedly tight the money is), might it have been worth spending the $1M there to shore up the back-end pitching given how dependent this lineup is going to be on a stellar starting staff? Sure we don't have the room to spend the $5M to get a real DH, but if we really are going the full pitching route, why not make sure we have the depth in the pen to make sure we're not going to blow games late, or in the case of Carrasco, we can hold on to games that got out of hand early and give our bats a chance to wake up without blowing everyone's arm for the next 3 days?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Considering the situation now (and I know how supposedly tight the money is), might it have been worth spending the $1M there to shore up the back-end pitching given how dependent this lineup is going to be on a stellar starting staff? Sure we don't have the room to spend the $5M to get a real DH, but if we really are going the full pitching route, why not make sure we have the depth in the pen to make sure we're not going to blow games late, or in the case of Carrasco, we can hold on to games that got out of hand early and give our bats a chance to wake up without blowing everyone's arm for the next 3 days?

In my best Ranger impersonation...either way, Carrasco wasn't going to make or break this team.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
That job has belonged to Danks for two seasons, and seems to be continuing this year.

I was saying more or less out of everyone this year. I know Danks had had the most trouble for a long time.

we'll see how we fare up in the rogers centre ....that place has been a house of horrors for us lately ....the new Oakland almost

we haven't hit there at all in recent years, i wonder what this team will do

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
Also, I didn't know Andruw Jones spoke English so well.

English is one of a few official languages in Curacao so most people who are from there can speak it.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Thank god the third base coach/Hardy bailed us out. Jenks just looks awful out there.

Did you watch the inning or just look at the box score? He got 2 easy outs, his fastball was hitting 96 with nice movement and Hardy's single was a blooper off of a broken bat. Thome smoked one on a bad pitch, but AJ didn't call a great sequence to him either. He looked fine.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
English is one of a few official languages in Curacao so most people who are from there can speak it.

Did you watch the inning or just look at the box score? He got 2 easy outs, his fastball was hitting 96 with nice movement and Hardy's single was a blooper off of a broken bat. Thome smoked one on a bad pitch, but AJ didn't call a great sequence to him either. He looked fine.

Thome was so late on the two fastballs it wasn't even funny the second one was in the mitt. It was a guessing game and Thome guessed right. If Jenks gets it a little higher it is a K. My guess was AJ was thinking that Thome could not catch up to the high heat.