4/12 Games

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
Viciedo (.200) not so much, just like last season out of the gate.

Come on.

As of yesterday morning, he was batting .266.

The morning before, he was batting .300

The day before... .375... because he had 3 hits in his first 8 at-bats.

But yesterday he had an 0-5 game and dropped his average to .200

So, therefore he is coming out of the gate just like last year, eh?

IMO, there should be a law against analysis being used to draw conclusions from small samples.

And tickets passed out when people violate it.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
They haven't even played for a week yet. Comparing this to last season is a little over the top at this point.

I wasn't doing that. I guess it seemed like it, though. The plate discipline is where I personally want to see the most improvement. And 0 BB in his first 20 AB's is not exactly encouraging.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
Probably nothing more than customary scouting of teams' minor leagues.

I see scouts all the time, this guy was watching intently. He sat behind home plate for our pitchers, he moved over to my section to watch our hitters. Considering KW's history with Arizona, it's something to keep an eye on. Conor Jackson could be had...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
I wasn't doing that. I guess it seemed like it, though. The plate discipline is where I personally want to see the most improvement. And 0 BB in his first 20 AB's is not exactly encouraging.

Meh.. it's early. And Viciedo isn't exactly a plate discipline stud, so you'll be getting your hopes up for nothing. Power (OPS) is what I want to see out of him in that bandbox. The OBP will be respectable if his average is up.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Meh.. it's early. And Viciedo isn't exactly a plate discipline stud, so you'll be getting your hopes up for nothing. Power (OPS) is what I want to see out of him in that bandbox. The OBP will be respectable if his average is up.

I want to see his strikeout numbers going down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
I want to see his strikeout numbers going down.

Meh.. I'll look at that more from Danks. Viciedo struck out only 89 times in 500+ ABs last year in AA compared to 73 Ks from Jordan Danks in only 280+ ABs. Dayan is also more of the slugger, hence why I said I want to see more power from him off setting the Ks. I'll agree with J4L on one thing, I want to see his walk rate go up some, but moving up to another level will be hard for him to do and maintain the K rate. If he can give me a solid average (.290+ which would up his OBP to a decent to respectable .330-.340, if he can walk a tad more) I'll live with that from a 21 year old. Danks has to get his K rate down as a guy who probably won't hit for power though. It's sad when Viciedo is K'ing a tad more than usual early on here (though he still has to adjust like he did in AA) and he is still K'ing less than Jordan has in limited ABs so far.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
I see scouts all the time, this guy was watching intently. He sat behind home plate for our pitchers, he moved over to my section to watch our hitters. Considering KW's history with Arizona, it's something to keep an eye on. Conor Jackson could be had...

Jackson would replace Pierre, but isn't left handed, so that wouldn't fly for Ozzie.

Someone suggested Gerardo Parra earlier this year, and if the Sox got him, he'd be perfect for leadoff, is left handed, and from the few clips I've seen, has a rocket in center field.

Quentin would have to suck it up and DH while the OF could look like: Jones - Parra - Rios.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
Jackson would replace Pierre, but isn't left handed, so that wouldn't fly for Ozzie.

Someone suggested Gerardo Parra earlier this year, and if the Sox got him, he'd be perfect for leadoff, is left handed, and from the few clips I've seen, has a rocket in center field.

Quentin would have to suck it up and DH while the OF could look like: Jones - Parra - Rios.

Good suggestion, it will be interesting to see. Something is up, I got that vibe from the scout.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)

I was the one pleading for Parra. I sent an email to both Kenny and Ozzie telling them to look into this guy, and yes he has an absolute cannon in the OF. I linked to a couple of throws he made, and they are just ropes. If you search on mlb.com, it was Parra throwing out Brandon Moss at home.

Parra only has 6 AB this season, so he is obviously just a backup OF for the DBacks right now, and they must not value him that highly or else he would be getting groomed in AAA. I mean, Parra has never even played in AAA in his career, he jumped straight from AA to the Dbacks last year and played 120 games and hit .290

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
I was the one pleading for Parra. I sent an email to both Kenny and Ozzie telling them to look into this guy, and yes he has an absolute cannon in the OF. I linked to a couple of throws he made, and they are just ropes. If you search on mlb.com, it was Parra throwing out Brandon Moss at home.

Parra only has 6 AB this season, so he is obviously just a backup OF for the DBacks right now, and they must have value him that highly or else he would be getting groomed in AAA. I mean, Parra has never even played in AAA in his career, he jumped straight from AA to the Dbacks last year and played 120 games and hit .290

Not only is his defense awesome, but the dude walks and hits for average. He'd be perfect for leadoff.

Would Pierre + $4M + A Throw in Prospect (Marrero? Shelby?) get it done?

I actually wonder if Arizona is after one of our SP's?

They were going pretty hard after another 3/4 starter in the rotation even after they acquired Jackson. And they've got Brandon Webb who probably won't stick around after this season I'd guess.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
I actually wonder if Arizona is after one of our SP's?

They were going pretty hard after another 3/4 starter in the rotation even after they acquired Jackson. And they've got Brandon Webb who probably won't stick around after this season I'd guess.

I was thinking they would be after a pitcher too.

Would you trade Hudson for Parra + prospect? I just might.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
I was thinking they would be after a pitcher too.

Would you trade Hudson for Parra + prospect? I just might.

After doing more research on Parra, I agree that Pierre + Cash + Throw In doesn't do anything.

I'd think long and hard about a Hudson deal.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 02:11 AM)
After doing more research on Parra, I agree that Pierre + Cash + Throw In doesn't do anything.

Hudson is the best pitching 'spect (not saying much considering our recent history) that we've had in a long time. Nothing against Parra. I'd just hope KW was aiming a little higher.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 01:11 AM)

I'd think about it for about a second, laugh hysterically, then hope KW doesn't smoke himself retarded if he even considers giving up Huddy for Gerardo freaking Parra. (and I hate dissing guys who have my first name but that would be an embarrassing return)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 03:25 AM)
I'd think about it for about a second, laugh hysterically, then hope KW doesn't smoke himself retarded if he even considers giving up Huddy for Gerardo freaking Parra. (and I hate dissing guys who have my first name but that would be an embarrassing return)

I tried to say this in a nicer manner. But yeah. A Hudson for Parra swap (assuming Parra would be the main piece) would obliterate the debacle that was the Nick Swisher trade (what we gave up to acquire him).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 03:56 AM)
I tried to say this in a nicer manner. But yeah. A Hudson for Parra swap (assuming Parra would be the main piece) would obliterate the debacle that was the Nick Swisher trade (what we gave up to acquire him).

So... what mine wasn't nice enough bro? :D I honestly tried to put it as real as possible, though ya.. could had done it better, but it's late as hell so I was lazy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 03:56 AM)

Not a big fan of 22-year-old lefty CF'ers who hit .290, don't strike out a lot, have very good speed, play solid defense, and have a rocket throwing arm?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Not a big fan of 22-year-old lefty CF'ers who hit .290, don't strike out a lot, have very good speed, play solid defense, and have a rocket throwing arm?

I'm not a big fan of outfielders who don't walk, have extremely minimal power, need to BABIP .346 just to hit .290, are average at very best in CF and steal bases at a 68% success rate.

Does the thought of trading Hudson for this guy even cross my mind? Absolutely not.