Pods

jasonxctf

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:00 AM)
Just cause we disagree with you doesn't mean we're little girls. Some of us played sports as well as you did.

And some of us liked Pods all last year even with his baserunning gaffes.

I love Pods and I do believe he still has pop in his bat. And I have never been a fan of guys like Pierre who have no pop in their bat. It sickens me to see how shallow they play him. Guess it reminds me of Little League when guys like Pierre came to bat and as a third baseman our skipper forced me to play about even with the pitcher in case of bunt.

Little girls don't risk their teeth gettin knocked out playing hockey from youth leagues through high school.

No, Greg...he was taking a shot at me, but indirectly. This has nothing to do with you, or very little.

Apparently he learns his insulting style from Ozzie Guillen.

It's okay. I can take whatever he dishes out...because I am probably the only poster here who has had anything negative to say about the White Sox in the last week, haven't you noticed?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 03:33 AM)
No, Greg...he was taking a shot at me, but indirectly. This has nothing to do with you, or very little.

Apparently he learns his insulting style from Ozzie Guillen.

It's okay. I can take whatever he dishes out...because I am probably the only poster here who has had anything negative to say about the White Sox in the last week, haven't you noticed?

Oh, I thought he was talking about me! I cried for a couple days thinking that was the case. Getting told your a little girl over the internet is tough stuff!

1/2 with a walk. Still in mid 450 range.

7 SB.

Amazing, the announcers noticed he had a "one way" lead that wasn't balanced. Recalled the infamous Manny Lee of Blue Jays fame, how he drew a ton of throws without being a big stolen base threat because of his exaggerated lead.

Wonder why that was so hard to correct...that seemed to lead to many of his CS, overcommitting too quickly...maybe he is losing a bit of speed and adjusted to compensate and get an extra jump or head start and buy a split advantage on the catcher.

Just thrown out stealing...that's the guy we all remember.

Don't want to get gunned down with how hot Guillen has been....single.....would have scored Pods, but alas, Juan Pierred.

Edited by caulfield12

Pierre clearly showed that he can still play. He is certainly still one of the top table setters in all of baseball. For you fantasy fans it's important to realize that his lowest steal total in a season with 600+ plate appearances was 46, back in his first full year in 2001. Since then, he has stolen 55+ bases four times, coming in at over 60 twice.

What's interesting here is the somewhat lateral move at the cost of the two prospects. The White Sox had the opportunity to keep Scott Podsednik in this spot and not give up Jon Link and John Ely who are now both projected to be contributors to the Dodgers in 2010 and certainly 2011.

Let's look at last year's stats for Scott Podsednik and Juan Pierre.

Podsednik (2009) 587 PA 39 BB 74K 7 HR 48 RBI 30 SB 75 RS .304 BA OBP .353

Pierre (2009) 425 PA 27 BB 27 K 0 HR 31 RBI 30 SB 57 RS .308 BA OBP .365

Podsednik has a career On-Base Percentage of .340, Pierre .348.

Podsednik is 33 years old, Pierre 32.

Podsednik is good at getting to the ball, but throws like Johnny Damon, Pierre.... same thing.

Podsednik has a career stolen base success rate of 76.7%, Pierre.... 74.8%

Is Juan Pierre worthy of hitting leadoff for your MLB team? Absolutely yes. But the truth here is that Pierre isn't really an upgrade over Podsednik. In making this trade the White Sox are saying no to Scott Podsednik's, $10-14 million demands in favor of a very similar player for $10 million for two season plus a pair of prospects. From where I sit they could have resigned Podsednik at approximately the same monetary cost without the waste of prospects.

White Sox GM Kenny Williams has sure done some weird things lately. Last year he stalked an injured Jake Peavy and finally got the trade done through waivers only to basically have him not pitch until they were all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and then he assumed that huge Alex Rios contract from Toronto was perfectly willing to get out from the obligation of paying him with no compensation at all?

The White Sox have some nice young players in Gordon Beckham and Alexei Ramirez, but I wouldn't exactly call them thumpers. Alex Rios is only a 20 HR guy, Paul Konerko isn't getting any younger and with Carlos Quentin's health always an issue, adding the totally punch-less Juan Pierre to the line-up is certainly a questionable move. At least Podsednik had 7 HR's last year; Pierre has hit 1 in the last three years combined!

It's great if you have your table all set, but if no one shows up for dinner, setting the table was a waste of time.

www.athbaseball.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Pierre clearly showed that he can still play. He is certainly still one of the top table setters in all of baseball. For you fantasy fans it's important to realize that his lowest steal total in a season with 600+ plate appearances was 46, back in his first full year in 2001. Since then, he has stolen 55+ bases four times, coming in at over 60 twice.

What's interesting here is the somewhat lateral move at the cost of the two prospects. The White Sox had the opportunity to keep Scott Podsednik in this spot and not give up Jon Link and John Ely who are now both projected to be contributors to the Dodgers in 2010 and certainly 2011.

Let's look at last year's stats for Scott Podsednik and Juan Pierre.

Podsednik (2009) 587 PA 39 BB 74K 7 HR 48 RBI 30 SB 75 RS .304 BA OBP .353

Pierre (2009) 425 PA 27 BB 27 K 0 HR 31 RBI 30 SB 57 RS .308 BA OBP .365

Podsednik has a career On-Base Percentage of .340, Pierre .348.

Podsednik is 33 years old, Pierre 32.

Podsednik is good at getting to the ball, but throws like Johnny Damon, Pierre.... same thing.

Podsednik has a career stolen base success rate of 76.7%, Pierre.... 74.8%

Is Juan Pierre worthy of hitting leadoff for your MLB team? Absolutely yes. But the truth here is that Pierre isn't really an upgrade over Podsednik. In making this trade the White Sox are saying no to Scott Podsednik's, $10-14 million demands in favor of a very similar player for $10 million for two season plus a pair of prospects. From where I sit they could have resigned Podsednik at approximately the same monetary cost without the waste of prospects.

White Sox GM Kenny Williams has sure done some weird things lately. Last year he stalked an injured Jake Peavy and finally got the trade done through waivers only to basically have him not pitch until they were all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and then he assumed that huge Alex Rios contract from Toronto was perfectly willing to get out from the obligation of paying him with no compensation at all?

The White Sox have some nice young players in Gordon Beckham and Alexei Ramirez, but I wouldn't exactly call them thumpers. Alex Rios is only a 20 HR guy, Paul Konerko isn't getting any younger and with Carlos Quentin's health always an issue, adding the totally punch-less Juan Pierre to the line-up is certainly a questionable move. At least Podsednik had 7 HR's last year; Pierre has hit 1 in the last three years combined!

It's great if you have your table all set, but if no one shows up for dinner, setting the table was a waste of time.

www.athbaseball.com

So... Konerko's health is an issue (even though he's been highly reliable), but Pods' isn't?

Pods and Pierre are roughly the same player, except Pods is older and has more injury history. You can't ignore that in the analysis of the decision.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
So... Konerko's health is an issue (even though he's been highly reliable), but Pods' isn't?

Pods and Pierre are roughly the same player, except Pods is older and has more injury history. You can't ignore that in the analysis of the decision.

1 year, 4 months, 3 weeks, 6 days older. One could also notice how Podsednik has played 896 career games while Pierre has played 1449. Pierre has much more pertinent 'mileage' on him.

Edited by Tmar

QUOTE (Tmar @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
1 year, 4 months, 3 weeks, 6 days older. One could also notice how Podsednik has played 896 career games while Pierre has played 1449. Pierre has much more pertinent 'mileage' on him.

DAYMN!! Look at the big bad brain on Tim.

Pierre has more mileage, but not all that much more. Coming into the season, Podsednik had 1666 pro games as opposed to Pierre's 1770. I figure minor league players play just as hard since they are trying to make it to the bigs. Minor leaguers also play more fall and winter ball than major leaguers do, which makes up for the shorter minor league season.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
I'd still take him as my lefty option off the bench over Kotsay.

He would be starting if he were still here, no doubt. And people would hate him for all of the things that everyone is conveniently forgetting, no doubt.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
He would be starting if he were still here, no doubt. And people would hate him for all of the things that everyone is conveniently forgetting, no doubt.

I could see a rotation in the field between him and Carlos and there isn't much difference between the 2 out there.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Tmar @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)

What the hell is this?

This isn't the type of Tim post I am use to seeing..

I don't see how anybody who is a fan of baseball would rather see Juan Pierre in our lineup than Pods.

Doesn't the eye test count for something? Doesn't it pain you to watch Juan bat as it pains me? Pods is a better hitter. He just is, sabermetrics be darned.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
I don't see how anybody who is a fan of baseball would rather see Juan Pierre in our lineup than Pods.

Doesn't the eye test count for something? Doesn't it pain you to watch Juan bat as it pains me? Pods is a better hitter. He just is, sabermetrics be darned.

He's been better for the first 3 weeks. Is Kelly Johnson better than Chase Utley? Is Jorge Cantu better than Evan Longoria? Is Jose Guillen better than Justin Upton? Is Matt Capps better than Mo Rivera? I know. These are terrible examples. lol.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)

Between the brutal amount of pick offs and misplays in the OF, Pods doesn't exactly shine at the eyetest either.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
anyone see the play yesterday, exact same WS play where the runner is not even at third and Pods has the ball....yesterday he did not even try to throw the guy out at home

Pierre nails the runner at second if the throw is on the bag yesterday. Pierre's arm is fine out there.

Not saying Pods is even remotely competent in the field but have you ever seen Pierre's arm?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
Not saying Pods is even remotely competent in the field but have you ever seen Pierre's arm?

Yes I saw it yesterday. He threw the ball from in front of the track to second on the double the throw was not accurate but it was no where near as bad as a Pods attempt at throwing. I also saw him make it to Teahen on a fly to cut down the tying run in the ninth from the track.

I think his arm is fine below average but fine.