Pods

jasonxctf

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Well, there are a lot of Pierre backers out there. I guess you enjoy watching him play. Good deal for you. Bad for those of us who think he is no good.

Pierre has had a consistently better career than Podsednik, and they are similar players. You can complain about it all year, but Pods is a Royal and Pierre is a member of the White Sox. End O' Story

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
When the man is healthy he's a pretty damn fine offensive player.

Except for 2003, even in his best years he has been a league average hitter at absolute best and he doesn't put up great OBP. Even last year and 05 he only put up a .350 OBP which is basically the minimum you should accept out of your leadoff hitter. Not exactly what I would call a pretty damn fine offensive player. Then you add in his bad defense and the fact that he made outs on the base paths over 10% of the time he reached base last year and you have a guy that I'm thrilled is no longer with the Sox.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

I don't know what some of you are watching, but from my perspective, Pierre's arm is awful and even worse than Podsednik's. That throw to 2nd was brutal. Anyone with a half decent arm out there, and the runner isn't even trying for 2nd.

397 and counting...1/1 with a walk and run scored

8 RBI's (maybe Piere's weakest area, hitting w/ RISP this year), 8 walks....ooops, 9 walks now, just got another off KING FELIX.

OPS of close to 900. He and Guillen are the two co-MVP's of the Royals so far, clearly.

I will say this much, if if if Pods was playing like this for us, we'd EASILY be 11-8 or 12-7, despite Floyd/Peavy and half our starting line-up sucking raw eggs. IT's comical almost, look at the Royals averages up and down their line-up, you would never understand how they could trail us in the standings unless you looked deeper into the statistics.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
397 and counting...1/1 with a walk and run scored

8 RBI's (maybe Piere's weakest area, hitting w/ RISP this year), 8 walks....ooops, 9 walks now, just got another off KING FELIX.

OPS of close to 900. He and Guillen are the two co-MVP's of the Royals so far, clearly.

I will say this much, if if if Pods was playing like this for us, we'd EASILY be 11-8 or 12-7, despite Floyd/Peavy and half our starting line-up sucking raw eggs. IT's comical almost, look at the Royals averages up and down their line-up, you would never understand how they could trail us in the standings unless you looked deeper into the statistics.

Gimme a break. Pods would not have made that much of a difference.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
Gimme a break. Pods would not have made that much of a difference.

yea, esp. with how the sox have been with risp at 3b and less than two outs,etc. hell with risp in general lol so theres no way hed make that much of a difference because hes not going to drive himself in

The amount of Pods' knobslobbering in this thread is despicable. The guy has had a good 3 weeks....3 WEEKS...playing for a gutwrenchingly average Kansas City team, who no one expects anything out of regardless.

Not a chance on this great, green earth, that Scott f***ing Podsednik would have made 3+ WINS difference when no one behind him would have been doing anymore than they already are.

You're right though, 3 weeks of the 2010 season for an aging, 1.25 tool outfielder should FAR outweigh any numbers that he put up in the previous 7+ YEARS of a mediocre career.

The amount of Pods' knobslobbering in this thread is despicable. The guy has had a good 3 weeks....3 WEEKS...playing for a gutwrenchingly average Kansas City team, who no one expects anything out of regardless.

Not a chance on this great, green earth, that Scott f***ing Podsednik would have made 3+ WINS difference when no one behind him would have been doing anymore than they already are.

You're right though, 3 weeks of the 2010 season for an aging, 1.25 tool outfielder should FAR outweigh any numbers that he put up in the previous 7+ YEARS of a mediocre career.

Well you tell me then.

You actually like Pierre? Or are you just trashing Pods?

I think when healthy Pods is great.

Before I say any more, tell me what you think of Pierre. The current Juan Pierre is a joke. The outfielders play him as shallow as they would a decent 12 year old Little Leaguer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
Well you tell me then.

You actually like Pierre? Or are you just trashing Pods?

I think when healthy Pods is great.

Before I say any more, tell me what you think of Pierre. The current Juan Pierre is a joke. The outfielders play him as shallow as they would a decent 12 year old Little Leaguer.

Pierre sucks, I never wanted him. I hate guys with no power that are mediocre at getting on base. But that doesn't change the fact that Pods is a mediocre player at best. Tell me why he is great and why you like him. His pathetic defense? His pathetic baserunning? His mediocre OBP skills? His complete lack of power? For all your complaints about Pierre having no power the great Pods has one extra base hit this year.

I like the Pods of the last season and so far this season.

I am not looking at career stats. I am looking at the Pods I saw last year and this year.

He is hitting .385 with no homers and 8 RBI with OBP of .453 and .400 SLG and OPS 853

He has stolen eight bases and been caught once.

Last year in 132 games he hit .304 with 30 SBs and was caught 13 times.

I don't think he's an all star necessarily but he was our team MVP last year and is tied with Jose Guillen for KC's team MVP in April.

I just think he'd have been a better option than Pierre.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
When the man is healthy he's a pretty damn fine offensive player.

The keyword here is health. That's something that Pierre has had. He's been consistently on the field while Pods is either struggling due to injury or injured.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
I like the Pods of the last season and so far this season.

I am not looking at career stats. I am looking at the Pods I saw last year and this year.

He is hitting .385 with no homers and 8 RBI with OBP of .453 and .400 SLG and OPS 853

He has stolen eight bases and been caught once.

Last year in 132 games he hit .304 with 30 SBs and was caught 13 times.

I don't think he's an all star necessarily but he was our team MVP last year and is tied with Jose Guillen for KC's team MVP in April.

I just think he'd have been a better option than Pierre.

I'll be straight with you here, that's not saying much.

Pods has been light years better than Pierre so far, but by the end of the year, this might not be the case.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
I don't know what some of you are watching, but from my perspective, Pierre's arm is awful and even worse than Podsednik's. That throw to 2nd was brutal. Anyone with a half decent arm out there, and the runner isn't even trying for 2nd.

I think it actually is worse than Pods'.

Pods' career ARM UZR: -13.3 in 6711.2 innings

Pierre's career ARM UZR: -40.6 in 11575.1 innings.

This averages out to...

Pods: -2.68 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

Pierre: -4.74 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

But these are just OF numbers in general, you also have to consider that Pierre played CF for a long time and Pods played LF for a long time.

So taking LF numbers ONLY.

Pierre: -3.2 in 1276 innings.

Pods: -13.3 in 3450.2 innings.

Averages:

Pierre: -3.39 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

Pods: -5.2 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

Looks like Pods' arm actually got worse when he came here. His arm was actually mediocre in Milwaukee. Pierre's sample size is a bit small in LF since he's only played there sparingly these past three seasons. But it's almost a big enough sample for one full season (which to be honest with you, isn't really enough, but that's all we have).

So I think it's fair to say that Pods has a slightly better arm, or used to at least. He doesn't now, not since joining the Sox.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
I think it actually is worse than Pods'.

Pods' career ARM UZR: -13.3 in 6711.2 innings

Pierre's career ARM UZR: -40.6 in 11575.1 innings.

This averages out to...

Pods: -2.68 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

Pierre: -4.74 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

But these are just OF numbers in general, you also have to consider that Pierre played CF for a long time and Pods played LF for a long time.

So taking LF numbers ONLY.

Pierre: -3.2 in 1276 innings.

Pods: -13.3 in 3450.2 innings.

Averages:

Pierre: -3.39 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

Pods: -5.2 runs saved with his arm per 150 games.

Looks like Pods' arm actually got worse when he came here. His arm was actually mediocre in Milwaukee. Pierre's sample size is a bit small in LF since he's only played there sparingly these past three seasons. But it's almost a big enough sample for one full season (which to be honest with you, isn't really enough, but that's all we have).

So I think it's fair to say that Pods has a slightly better arm, or used to at least. He doesn't now, not since joining the Sox.

Honestly you didn't even need the stats to prove your point. Most can see it from their eyes alone (at least.. I HOPE which is pretty obvious) that Pierre's arm is worse. Only guy that rivals his is Damon.

I hate both players.. in fact.. I hope Mitchell someday makes it or some other FA/trade player comes in to get us away from these slap happy lead-off hitters so Ozzie can open his eyes. I hate Pods' game and as a player, but if there was one guy that would make me miss Pods (or hate him less).. that is Juan Pierre. (Gathright/Tavares too, but everyone, including themselves, knows they suck) I'll like Pierre if he gives me a .350 OBP and/or not get CS alot (or hell.. give me a god damn XBH or two) to go along with that average he will probably hit.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
Honestly you didn't even need the stats to prove your point. Most can see it from their eyes alone (at least.. I HOPE which is pretty obvious) that Pierre's arm is worse. Only guy that rivals his is Damon.

I hate both players.. in fact.. I hope Mitchell someday makes it or some other FA/trade player comes in to get us away from these slap happy lead-off hitters so Ozzie can open his eyes. I hate Pods' game and as a player, but if there was one guy that would make me miss Pods (or hate him less).. that is Juan Pierre. (Gathright/Tavares too, but everyone, including themselves, knows they suck) I'll like Pierre if he gives me a .350 OBP and/or not get CS alot (or hell.. give me a god damn XBH or two) to go along with that average he will probably hit.

No, it was necessary. The two are so damn bad that it's hard to tell which one is worse, eye test or no eye test.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
No, it was necessary. The two are so damn bad that it's hard to tell which one is worse, eye test or no eye test.

We're not talking Pierre vs. Damon here though. :P Pods is stronger than both no doubt.. so I'll give him props that he can throw the ball from the outfield and have it bounce to second base on two hops instead of four (+) like the other two.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)
We're not talking Pierre vs. Damon here though. :P Pods is stronger than both no doubt.. so I'll give him props that he can throw the ball from the outfield and have it bounce to second base on two hops instead of four (+) like the other two.

Here's a nice tidbit

Pods didn't even bother to throw the ball home when Delmon Young wasn't even on third yet on a base hit.

This was like two days ago.

BTW, Damon is actually better than Pierre at throwing.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 02:09 AM)
I did love Joe Crede as well. What's wrong with Joe Crede pre-back injury?

Nothing. Point is that if it were up to you Crede would still be here despite the chronic back problems. Along with Pods, JD, Garland and probably every other member from the 2005 club.