Pods

jasonxctf

I hate Pods as a player/his game, but I'm also consistent with my hate (also hate Juan Pierre as a player/his game) so it's a wash for me. I'll say this, I'll gladly take 2 years of crap Pierre instead of 3 years of crap Podsednik, though I wish KW would have gotten Gardner and not have me throw up every time I see black Pods (albeit a bit different strengths and weaknesses for both, but it evens out) at-bat.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have to give pods some credit - he figured some stuff out with his health and training and it's made a big difference in his ability to be consistent. He's a terrible fielder and a bad base runner, but the guy gets on base, works counts and puts the ball in play. I would love to see him as our DH this season. Kenny and Ozzie made a mistake, not that they'll admit it (see Pierre and Kotsay).

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 7, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
I think you have to give pods some credit - he figured some stuff out with his health and training and it's made a big difference in his ability to be consistent. He's a terrible fielder and a bad base runner, but the guy gets on base, works counts and puts the ball in play. I would love to see him as our DH this season. Kenny and Ozzie made a mistake, not that they'll admit it (see Pierre and Kotsay).

And don't forget the Teahen trade and extension.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
If he wanted three years from Sox, that's too many. But two years of Pierre is way too many as well.

depending on what the Sox are paying for it vs. what Pods wanted, the Dodgers ate some of that contract.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (T R U @ May 26, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
not really

No matter how bad Pods' May has been, it's still leaps and bounds better than Pierre's April.

Also, Pierre's May is still not on the level of Pod's April.

It's asinine to say that Pods hasn't been the better player this year. However, I agree with others and would rather have someone outside of the two leadoff, but if I had to choose, I'd take Pods (not to mention his cheaper contract and the fact we'd still have a pretty decent pitching prospect in Ely still in the system).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 26, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
Podsednik is batting over 30 points higher in average and OBP, over 70 higher in slugging, and over 100 in OPS. He's also got 11 more RBI. Pierre has a better SB%, but only 4 more SB.

And I don't even need to see Pods in the OF to know that Pierre has been way better.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
.320 / .359 / .381 / .741

The May stats of that guy people were ready to throw into the dump if it meant they could get Noodle Arm back.

20-26

The record of the team that's sunk anyway.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
No matter how bad Pods' May has been, it's still leaps and bounds better than Pierre's April.

Also, Pierre's May is still not on the level of Pod's April.

It's asinine to say that Pods hasn't been the better player this year. However, I agree with others and would rather have someone outside of the two leadoff, but if I had to choose, I'd take Pods (not to mention his cheaper contract and the fact we'd still have a pretty decent pitching prospect in Ely still in the system).

that would be debatable if he was still with the Sox, the Sox wanted him back but he reportedly wanted multi-years to return to the White Sox, so it might not be fair to use his KC contract as a gauge...

also, Pierre is a much better OF'er IMO than Pods, both their arms suck, and Pierre is better at fielding.

Their 2010 WARs to this point... Juan is .5 and Pods .4

but as I've stated before, with how the White Sox 2 and 3 hitters started the year Pods vs. Pierre isn't really what crippled this offense

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
It's asinine to say that Pods hasn't been the better player this year.

I didn't say that, I was disagreeing that Pods has blown Pierre out of the water..

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
that would be debatable if he was still with the Sox, the Sox wanted him back but he reportedly wanted multi-years to return to the White Sox, so it might not be fair to use his KC contract as a gauge...

also, Pierre is a much better OF'er IMO than Pods, both their arms suck, and Pierre is better at fielding.

Their 2010 WARs to this point... Juan is .5 and Pods .4

but as I've stated before, with how the White Sox 2 and 3 hitters started the year Pods vs. Pierre isn't really what crippled this offense

KW, IMO, rushed into things. Instead of waiting to see how the market played out with Pods, he goes and makes a trade for Pierre. However, if he waited a little longer, the Royals would have emerged as the only contender for Pods, and it would have been an easy sign. Maybe a little more expensive than the 2 million he is making this year, but certainly a lot cheaper than the 10 million we owe Pierre for the next year and a half.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
KW, IMO, rushed into things. Instead of waiting to see how the market played out with Pods, he goes and makes a trade for Pierre. However, if he waited a little longer, the Royals would have emerged as the only contender for Pods, and it would have been an easy sign. Maybe a little more expensive than the 2 million he is making this year, but certainly a lot cheaper than the 10 million we owe Pierre for the next year and a half.

or KW could have waited lost both Pierre and Pods and have Beckham lead off.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)

It's 8 million for this and next year.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
or KW could have waited lost both Pierre and Pods and have Beckham lead off.

Pods was signed in January, and clearly there wasn't a huge market for him. We had time.

And never getting Pierre in the first place would have been better in the long run cause that would have forced us to sign Johnny Damon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Exactly. You can't bargain hunt when it comes to your starters. We waited on DH and look how that ended up.

I'm pretty sure they planned on going with Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay as the DH right from the start of the offseason.

And it's not a matter of bargin hunting, it's a matter of being smart. Both are similar players, but Pods has shown a much more improved hitting style in the past year. If we waited him out, I guarantee you we could have brought him back for less than what we are paying Pierre.