Pods

jasonxctf

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a crazy old tradionalist, but I'm not gonna throw all my eggs in one basket with a stat that I doubt many people fully understand. Is WAR a legit stat to look at? Sure. Should it settle all disputes especially in cases where the differences are so minute? Hell no.

I know I'm a crazy old tradionalist, but I think people value stats way too much as oppossed to just the basic and fundamental human element to the game. Stats can never take everything into account, it's impossible. When you find a stat that is flawless and undisputable, let me know.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 29, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)
Call me a crazy old tradionalist, but I'm not gonna throw all my eggs in one basket with a stat that I doubt many people fully understand. Is WAR a legit stat to look at? Sure. Should it settle all disputes especially in cases where the differences are so minute? Hell no.

I know I'm a crazy old tradionalist, but I think people value stats way too much as oppossed to just the basic and fundamental human element to the game. Stats can never take everything into account, it's impossible. When you find a stat that is flawless and undisputable, let me know.

That will never happen because there isn't a stat that exists that is flawless. But do we really need stats to determine that Pierre/Pods are roughly the same player? It pretty much comes down to preference. My preference would be neither of them would play for my team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2010 -> 01:08 AM)
That will never happen because there isn't a stat that exists that is flawless. But do we really need stats to determine that Pierre/Pods are roughly the same player? It pretty much comes down to preference. My preference would be neither of them would play for my team.

I was being sarcastic.

And yes, I think everyone has established that they are pretty much the same player, and everyone would pefer a different option oppossed to those two.

However, this thread and argument is about who is better for this team, Pods or Pierre, and I'll stick with Pods over Pierre.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 29, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
I was being sarcastic.

And yes, I think everyone has established that they are pretty much the same player, and everyone would pefer a different option oppossed to those two.

However, this thread and argument is about who is better for this team, Pods or Pierre, and I'll stick with Pods over Pierre.

Some men prefer Caucasian women to African-American women. It doesn't make them wrong or right. It just is.

Now, when you are stuck choosing between Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg, you should probably choose abstinence; it's just too bad the White Sox have had both.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
Some men prefer Caucasian women to African-American women. It doesn't make them wrong or right. It just is.

Now, when you are stuck choosing between Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg, you should probably choose abstinence; it's just too bad the White Sox have had both.

I think people are overlooking the D aspect a little. Both have below average arms, but to me, it seems Juan is a much better LF than Pods, he gets to a lot more balls both in the air and cutting off...

again, my position with the Pods/Pierre thing is with the way the SP has been erratic and how Quentin and Beckham fell flat on their faces out of the gate, the Pods/Pierre thing, either way, wouldn't make a huge difference.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
Scott Podsednik WAR - 0.4

Juan Pierre WAR - 0.5

What a shock. So many of us have basically been saying that Pods and Pierre are basically the same player, and what a surprise, after you lengthen the sample size a bit, umm, they are.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
What a shock. So many of us have basically been saying that Pods and Pierre are basically the same player, and what a surprise, after you lengthen the sample size a bit, umm, they are.

100% agree with you on this, and at the end of the year I would imagine they both end up around their career numbers

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)

$$$$$

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 29, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
I was being sarcastic.

Pods and Pierre are the same in these senses: hitting, gross base stealing numbers, and weak arm. Difference is, Pierre is better in the other areas - defense, base running net value, age curve location, and effort. Therefore in my eyes, Pierre is the better player. I guess I'll take Whoopi.

Though I agree that neither one was the best option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
Who was a better option?

I personally would have preferred Damon, or with going more the power route like Vlad, than another Slappy McSlapperson. But that's just my opinion, and I realize that I cannot know if that was even possible. Point is, neither are great options.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
Pods and Pierre are the same in these senses: hitting, gross base stealing numbers, and weak arm. Difference is, Pierre is better in the other areas - defense, base running net value, age curve location, and effort. Therefore in my eyes, Pierre is the better player. I guess I'll take Whoopi.

Though I agree that neither one was the best option.

Perfect.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
I think he is trying to say that Pods could have saved our season...

which he probably couldn't have, Pods couldn't have made Q and Beckham look like they had a clue at the plate and the SPs be a letdown.

Pods' stats remain good.

2010 34 KCR AL 53 241 212 25 62 4 2 2 18 17 5 19 40 .292 .348 .358 .706 94 76 5 0 8 2 0 *7/8

53 games he's hitting .290 with 17 sbs.

And he was great great great in April when we sucked. I still say KW should have stood pat over the pathetic acquisitions that helped turn our offense into slumberville.

Can Pods pitch? Or field for that matter? We need a big bat for the heart of the order... can he hit, say, 40 homeruns for us? No? Then i guess a guy who was asking for too much money and too many years in the offseason anyway, isn't that big a deal when you take into account how little he'd contribute to this team in the greater scheme of things.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
Can Pods pitch? Or field for that matter? We need a big bat for the heart of the order... can he hit, say, 40 homeruns for us? No? Then i guess a guy who was asking for too much money and too many years in the offseason anyway, isn't that big a deal when you take into account how little he'd contribute to this team in the greater scheme of things.

:notworthy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:17 AM)
Pods' stats remain good.

2010 34 KCR AL 53 241 212 25 62 4 2 2 18 17 5 19 40 .292 .348 .358 .706 94 76 5 0 8 2 0 *7/8

53 games he's hitting .290 with 17 sbs.

And he was great great great in April when we sucked. I still say KW should have stood pat over the pathetic acquisitions that helped turn our offense into slumberville.

I'm pretty happy that instead of having another 2 full seasons coming up where we're going to have holes that need to be filled in our lineup, we only have one more year of Pierre. It's gone pretty much unnoticed, but Pierre has been played pretty good ball for the last 30 games or so.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
I'm pretty happy that instead of having another 2 full seasons coming up where we're going to have holes that need to be filled in our lineup, we only have one more year of Pierre. It's gone pretty much unnoticed, but Pierre has been played pretty good ball for the last 30 games or so.

Because nobody's f***ing watching.