Breaking News...Sox Trade

whitesox247

Guest hotsoxchick1
Let me be the first to say I think we will regret this deal.

let me be the next to say it 2 k... which pitchers are we giving up??? from what i saw last weekend we only have one whos worth a s*** in trip a, and from what i hear theres not much sitting in double a either.....and if we lose any of the very few good ones we have left what do we have to replace it??.. absoultely nothing.. the minor leagues has been depleated enough of pitching and its not getting replaced.... im thinking this one is gonna come back around to bite us in the ass..........i dont see "schow" being with our club long term.........he just doesnt fit.......of course we couldnt pay anyone to take botch off our hands huh.. :rolleyes:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cbs thoughts on the tade

>>>>>>..

Schoeneweis didn't stick in the Angels' rotation in 2002, but he lands in Chicago with something to prove and may get another chance to start with the White Sox. You don't find many teams willing to give up on left-handed pitchers, and it isn't as if Glover has a high ceiling, but the Angels liked the two minor-leaguers, too. Short-term, this is a good move for the White Sox.

ba look at the trade

Angels, White Sox swap five relievers

By Jim Callis

July 29, 2003

The Angels and White Sox altered their bullpens of the present and possibly the future Tuesday by exchanging five relievers. Chicago, which is surging into playoff contention, picked up Scott Schoeneweis and Triple-A righthander Doug Nickle. Anaheim, which is fading fast, acquired Gary Glover, Double-A righthander Scott Dunn and high Class A lefty Tim Bittner.

Schoeneweis, 29, gives the White Sox a third bullpen lefty to go with Damaso Marte and Kelly Wunsch. He throws mainly sinkers and fastballs, though Chicago may give him a chance to develop a third pitch and become a starter next spring. He's highly effective against lefthanders, holding them to a .490 on-base plus slugging percentage this year (compared to a .819 OPS against righties). He has a 1-1, 3.96 record in 39 appearances, with a 29-10 strikeout-walk ratio and .250 opponent average in 39 innings. In his five-year career, he has gone 28-31, 5.10 in 183 games. Schoenweis is making $1.425 million this season and will be eligible for arbitration afterward.

Glover, a 26-year-old righthander, had been buried in the White Sox bullpen after a mediocre season. He was 1-0, 4.54 in 24 outings, making just eight appearances since May. He had a 23-14 K-BB ratio and a .305 opponent average in 36 innings. Like Schoeneweis, Glover has a huge platoon split this year (.697 OPS versus righthanders, 1.078 versus lefties). Glover works mainly with a low-90s fastball and a slider, and his inability to develop a consistent changeup has hampered him as a starter (9-11, 5.72 in 33 career starts). He's 13-13, 5.00 in 112 appearances over four big league seasons. Glover makes $330,000 this year and could become arbitration-eligible as a two-plus-year player this offseason.

This is the third trade for the 28-year-old Nickle, who previously was included in deals for Gregg Jefferies in August 1998 and Scott Rolen last July. Drafted by the Angels in 1997's 13th round out of the University of California, Nickle went 1-0, 7.84 in 20 big league games with the Phillies and Padres from 2000-02. Rejoining Anaheim via a minor league contract in the offseason, he has spent 2003 at Triple-A Salt Lake. He was 2-2, 1.48 with four saves in 34 games, including a 23-18 K-BB ratio and .226 opponent average in 49 innings. Nickle's best pitch is his low-90s fastball, and he also has a knuckle-curve and slider.

Dunn, 25, was traded just three weeks earlier by the Reds when they picked up D'Angelo Jimenez from the White Sox. A Cincinnati 10th-round pick in 1999 from the University of Texas, Dunn hasn't gotten much attention despite having a low-90s fastball and averaging more than a strikeout per inning as a pro. He also throws a curveball, changeup and occasional knuckleball. In 39 Double-A games this year, Dunn has gone 6-3, 3.35 with nine saves. He continues to overmatch hitters, with a 68-21 K-BB ratio and .212 opponent average in 51 innings.

Bittner, 23, began his college career at Marist as an outfielder before moving to the mound and getting drafted in the 10th round by the White Sox in 2001. He opened this season as a starter at low Class A Kannapolis (4-4, 3.40 in 10 starts) before moving to the bullpen at high Class A Winston-Salem (3-3, 3.60 in 17 outings). In 80 innings between the two stops, he had 68-38 K-BB ratio and held hitters to a .219 average. His best pitch is an average slider that has the potential to be a plus pitch, and he throws his fastball in the high 80s.

let me be the next to say it 2 k... which pitchers are we giving up??? from what i saw last weekend we only have one whos worth a s***  in trip a, and from what i hear theres not much sitting in double a either.....and if we lose any of the very few good ones we have left what do we have to replace it??.. absoultely nothing.. the minor leagues has been depleated enough of pitching and its not getting replaced.... im thinking this one is gonna come back around to bite us in the ass..........i dont see "schow" being with our club long term.........he just doesnt fit.......of course we couldnt pay anyone to take botch off our hands huh.. :rolleyes:

Sox pitching being depleted in the minor leagues?

I beg to differ.

First off, they gave up zero to get Jimenez from San Diego. They dumped him when it didn't work out, got Scott Dunn ... and turned around and got Schoenweiss. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Here's a list of Sox pitching prospects who are having at least a decent year:

AAA - Adkins (I don't count Wright, Sanders, Diaz, or Rauch, all of whom, at the minimum, have ML potential)

AA - An (acquired last year for Howry, whose career is now in doubt), Bajenaru, Cotts (recently brought in), Wylie, and Pacheco (also acquired last year)

High A - Josh Fields, Honel, Hummel, and Ryan Wing

Low A - Deinenger, Larson, Reynoso

Bristol - Fabio Castro, Orionny Lopez, and Suarez

GF - McCarthy, Rylan Reed, Randy Surratt (Left hander just signed as a free agent)

They continue to draft a lot of pitchers each summer, and within the last 12 months they've added at least 3 pitchers in "dump off" trades, namely An, Pacheco, and Diaz. All three of these can at the very least be considered mid-level prospects.

You can never have enough pitching, but the Sox have a lot of it at lower levels. They're dealing from strength. To say the system is being depleted with no one coming in to replenish it is inaccurate.

Sox pitching being depleted in the minor leagues?

I beg to differ.

First off, they gave up zero to get Jimenez from San Diego.  They dumped him when it didn't work out, got Scott Dunn ... and turned around and got Schoenweiss.  Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Here's a list of Sox pitching prospects who are having at least a decent year:

AAA - Adkins (I don't count Wright, Sanders, Diaz, or Rauch, all of whom, at the minimum, have ML potential)

AA - An (acquired last year for Howry, whose career is now in doubt), Bajenaru, Cotts (recently brought in), Wylie, and Pacheco (also acquired last year)

High A - Josh Fields, Honel, Hummel, and Ryan Wing

Low A - Deinenger, Larson, Reynoso

Bristol - Fabio Castro, Orionny Lopez, and Suarez

GF - McCarthy, Rylan Reed, Randy Surratt (Left hander just signed as a free agent)

They continue to draft a lot of pitchers each summer, and within the last 12 months they've added at least 3 pitchers in "dump off" trades, namely An, Pacheco, and Diaz.  All three of these can at the very least be considered mid-level prospects.

You can never have enough pitching, but the Sox have a lot of it at lower levels.  They're dealing from strength.  To say the system is being depleted with no one coming in to replenish it is inaccurate.

adkins has major league potential?

cmon now, how are you kidding, none of those players may help us out now, well maybe wright and ginter.

What I said was Adkins is having a decent year at AAA.

I said Wright, Sanders, Diaz and Rauch have ML potential.

I happen to think Adkins does too, and BA has had him listed as a prospect both for Oakland and the White Sox. I think BA's assessment is a reasonable indicator of potential, certainly more than yours or mine.