AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

Mark Teahen gets some well-deserved pimpage from Fangraphs after carrying the Sox last night.

"The winning team, as a whole, will only have a +.500 WPA. Teahen shouldered the entire load and some more for the White Sox on Monday night in what could be one of the biggest, in terms of clutch hitting and value to the team, performances of the entire year. In his final 3 PAs, in which he went 3-3 with a 3B, a HR, and 3 RBIs, the run he knocked in either tied the game or gave the White Sox the lead. The leverage index of these three plays were 1.86, 2.90, and 3.43, respectively. Teahen came up huge in big spots for Chicago. To do so once can make you a hero. To do so three times in the same game? That’s simply amazing."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/t...rries-white-sox

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Mark Teahen gets some well-deserved pimpage from Fangraphs after carrying the Sox last night.

"The winning team, as a whole, will only have a +.500 WPA. Teahen shouldered the entire load and some more for the White Sox on Monday night in what could be one of the biggest, in terms of clutch hitting and value to the team, performances of the entire year. In his final 3 PAs, in which he went 3-3 with a 3B, a HR, and 3 RBIs, the run he knocked in either tied the game or gave the White Sox the lead. The leverage index of these three plays were 1.86, 2.90, and 3.43, respectively. Teahen came up huge in big spots for Chicago. To do so once can make you a hero. To do so three times in the same game? That’s simply amazing."

Word. Jones kept puttin us ahead...Teahan caught us up. and Ahead. Teahan and Jones...whodathunkit.

BTW was there anyone else who thought we should have put the squeeze play on with Teahen at 3rd and Pierre at bat in the 11th? He's the best bunter we have, and he's not likely to lift the ball far enough to score Teahen on a sac fly. And he's more likely to successfully squeeze than Pierre is to get an outright single. And Teahen's not terribly slow. Just seemed like an Ozzie-type move, and a logical one, I was surprised it didn't happen. Is it just because there were 0 out?

EDIT: I guess they didn't show the defense, either. If Encarnacion was playing halfway to home plate or something I guess you pretty much have to let Pierre swing away. I'm pretty sure that was not the case though.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
BTW was there anyone else who thought we should have put the squeeze play on with Teahen at 3rd and Pierre at bat in the 11th? He's the best bunter we have, and he's not likely to lift the ball far enough to score Teahen on a sac fly. And he's more likely to successfully squeeze than Pierre is to get an outright single. And Teahen's not terribly slow. Just seemed like an Ozzie-type move, and a logical one, I was surprised it didn't happen. Is it just because there were 0 out?

Yeah I was surprised as well. BUt also, not getting Teahan in from 3rd with 0 out is, like, not remembered at all right? Since we won?

It's really important to have people on base a lot in a game. You aren't going to knock them in every opportunity, so you need as many as possible.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)

Damn it, you beat me to it. -_-

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
Perhaps, but that doesn't have much to do with his recent "struggles". He walked two batters last night because of mild struggles with command, not because of the type of pitcher he is. If he was a two-pitch pitcher with higher velocity, he still would not have hit the strike zone.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but when Bobby retired all those batters in a row, he was beginning his change to a more versatile style of pitcher, right?

There's no telling what kind of pitcher Bobby would be today had he not changed his style. Hell, he might have burnt himself out. Who knows. I see your point, but I wonder if his struggles would be as mighty if he was still the fireballer/wicked curve pitcher.