Lets discuss DH platooning

Princess Dye

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
if it was a video game i'd put CQ at DH and pierre in LF. But since I have legitimate concerns about TCQs mental makeup 100% on the bench,

What differs in TCQ's mental approach to the game when he's the DH, instead of playing the field? The DH might actually be beneficial to Carlos in that he can go back to the clubhouse to watch tape or to the cages to work out some kinks, immediately upon failure, rather than after the game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:14 AM)
And DH Juan Pierre?

He might be the WORST full-time DH ever then, lol.

I mean seriously DH = designated hitter.

Isn't it kind of ironic that we would have a guy who can't hit, but does nothing but go up to bat as our DH?

It does SEEM ironic, but your lineup will hit in exactly the same order regardless of defensive placement. Hell, if Pierre is our worst outfielder, I think that's a pretty good sign!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
What differs in TCQ's mental approach to the game when he's the DH, instead of playing the field? The DH might actually be beneficial to Carlos in that he can go back to the clubhouse to watch tape or to the cages to work out some kinks, immediately upon failure, rather than after the game.

I understand that, but everyone keeps talking about how he'll just sit there and stew about how he sucked his last at bat. And perhaps it's groupthink...but if enough people think it i tend to believe it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 02:14 AM)
And DH Juan Pierre?

He might be the WORST full-time DH ever then, lol.

I mean seriously DH = designated hitter.

Isn't it kind of ironic that we would have a guy who can't hit, but does nothing but go up to bat as our DH?

At this point in the season, it's irrelevent if Juan Pierre is our DH. Guillen is going to bat him leadoff everyday for the near future. If another player, i.e. Jones, gives you better defense then he should be getting the playing time in the outfield.

IMO, the DH spot should be rotated between Pierre, Quentin, Jones, and Konerko predominantly. Against really tough righties, I'd DH Konerko and play Kotsay at 1B. For those games, Jones would sit on the bench. Otherwise, I'd DH Pierre and Quentin each once or twice a week and let Jones fill in at their respective spot in the OF. I don't like the idea of moving Carlos around between LF and RF. I'd probably DH Jones once a week as well to give him a little rest.

I do not want to see Kotsay DHing ever. His value to the team is being our left-handed pinch hitter. When he is in the starting lineup, the only other sort-of option we have is Vizquel and I don't like that. I'm fine with Kotsay starting once a week at 1B, but otherwise, he should be sitting on the bench and available to PH in the late innings like we saw last night.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 02:25 AM)
Besides, Jones is arguably a better outfielder than Pierre. He may not be as quick, but he has better instincts and a better arm.

Pierre still has solid baseball instincts and still has great range.

At the end of the day, if Jones is going to be playing the field, you aren't comparing him to Pierre or him to Quentin; you are comparing Pierre to Quentin defensively, because one of Jones or Rios would cover the spot vacated by one of those two and they would be fully capable of handling it. So, on any given particular day, will you want the extra range or the extra arm in the outfield?

What I think will almost certainly happen as the season progresses is that those 4 will play most days with one of them DHing, and Kotsay and Konerko will get a few days in there too.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Kotsay is a great bench player and occasional spot starter. Unfortunately I don't think Ozzie realizes this.

Never use facts to argue with Ozzie's opinions

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
It does SEEM ironic, but your lineup will hit in exactly the same order regardless of defensive placement. Hell, if Pierre is our worst outfielder, I think that's a pretty good sign!

The thing is, Pierre isn't our worst fielder, Quentin is.

That just means you're taking away defensive value if you DH him most of the time.

Edited by chw42