Teahen was something special last night

chw42

Article

Mark Teahen's 3-5 game last night yielded a WPA (win percentage added) of .765, which is insane considering an entire team only needs a WPA of .500 to win a game (this just means the rest of our team sucked a lot though, most likely the pitching part).

To quote Jack Moore, "Teahen came up huge in big spots for Chicago. To do so once can make you a hero. To do so three times in the same game? That’s simply amazing."

Looks like this game meant a lot more than some of us thought for Teahen.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Article

Mark Teahen's 3-5 game last night yielded a WPA (win percentage added) of .765, which is insane considering an entire team only needs a WPA of .500 to win a game (this just means the rest of our team sucked a lot though, most likely the pitching part).

To quote Jack Moore, "Teahen came up huge in big spots for Chicago. To do so once can make you a hero. To do so three times in the same game? That’s simply amazing."

Looks like this game meant a lot more than some of us thought for Teahen.

So did Jones.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
Interesting article, but I am still not sure that Teahen was more valuable/heroic than Jones was.

?? don't see how you can say Jones was MORE valuable - his hits came while there was still game left to be played.

Teahen's HR and then his triple tied the game then put us ahead. Just doesn't get more valuable than that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
?? don't see how you can say Jones was MORE valuable - his hits came while there was still game left to be played.

Teahen's HR and then his triple tied the game then put us ahead. Just doesn't get more valuable than that.

I don't see how you can say Jones was LESS valuable. Without Jones hits, Teahen's hit's were useless. But let's not think about it that way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
If Teahen did anything in his earlier ABs there might not have been a need for late inning heroics.

He did hit a single to tie the game up in the middle of the game though...

I don't know if he really could have done anything more until that point.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
I don't see how you can say Jones was LESS valuable. Without Jones hits, Teahen's hit's were useless. But let's not think about it that way.

Teahen can't control that.

Teahen's hits came in more crucial situations, that's the thing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
If Teahen did anything in his earlier ABs there might not have been a need for late inning heroics.

Are you serious? He was 3-5, box score says he left one man on base. Is this just proof that a White Sox fan can never be satisfied? Peavy gave up 7 ER, btw.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Very true, it most likely won't carry over. Because he's now sporting a .901 OPS on the season.

If he can post a .801, I think many of us will be VERY happy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Very true, it most likely won't carry over. Because he's now sporting a .901 OPS on the season.

I'll gladly take Teahan's hot streak now. We need to be right next to the twins.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
Are you serious? He was 3-5, box score says he left one man on base. Is this just proof that a White Sox fan can never be satisfied? Peavy gave up 7 ER, btw.

If Peavy doesn't give up 7 ER, Teahen doesn't have the chance to be a hero.

Peavy's suckiness was something special last night.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Don't forget complaining b/c the man who drove in the tying & winning runs was hitless in his first 2 ABs.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is who cares when he gets those 3 hits? If he went 3 for 3 to start the game and then went 0-2 it would be the same end result. I'm not b****ing about him at all.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is who cares when he gets those 3 hits? If he went 3 for 3 to start the game and then went 0-2 it would be the same end result. I'm not b****ing about him at all.

OK, misunderstood.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)

If he got three hits with nobody on, the end result won't be the same.

In this context, the situation in which he gets the hits does matter.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
He did hit a single to tie the game up in the middle of the game though...

I don't know if he really could have done anything more until that point.

He also hit a 400-ft shot to the only part of the park it wouldn't be a home run. He was on last night

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
If Peavy doesn't give up 7 ER, Teahen doesn't have the chance to be a hero.

Peavy's suckiness was something special last night.

Yea but dont say anything about that guy. Welcome to the AL Jake.