Racist T-Shirts Around Wrigley?

jasonxctf

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
It's sadder with me personally. A few Cubs fans I know love USCF cause our field/ballpark is "nice." They actually go to the games too and just try and either heckle people, or wear Cubs gear like they are some kind of rebel... without a cause. They hate everything else about us though.

i hate seeing that, people wearing opposing teams gear just to be overtly obnoxious at our games. Although i dont condone this type of behavior, one of the supposed twins fans at the game on friday got his head split open by a huge sox fan that apparently had enough of him screaming obnoxiously and cheering wildly after every single white sox out for the entire game (which went into extra innings). I think if you plan on going to a game dressed as a fan of the opposing team, thats fine, but you cross the line when you overtly taunt the home team and annoy every fan around you. There are people in this world that wont grin and bear it, and there are other people that dont believe in calling security and take matters into their own hands..

I like going to cubs games. I don't get to see NL players very often. I'm going on Sunday, in fact. Wrigley field is old, but it does look nice in that neighborhood. I wish they had integrated Comiskey into bridgeport the same way, and hadn't encouraged so many people to drive there.

I'm going to Wrigley next sunday, I'll probably just wear normal clothes and a Sox hat. I certainly am not going to look for fights or anything. I just wear Sox hats alot. People that go all out and wear other teams jerseys and are trying to call attention to themselves is something different entirely though.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
And they say in a stupid voice "Nobody even remembers what happened in 2005 - nobody was watching heh heh heh heh..."

Doytch bags.

Nobody remembers what happened in 1908, because you couldn't watch if you wanted to...

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
I'm going to Wrigley next sunday, I'll probably just wear normal clothes and a Sox hat. I certainly am not going to look for fights or anything. I just wear Sox hats alot. People that go all out and wear other teams jerseys and are trying to call attention to themselves is something different entirely though.

nice, i'll be there too, got a free ticket. I'll just wear some neutral colors. Should be a beautiful day.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
For real. Talk about bumbling a potential goldmine of an opportunity.

We really must've hired the world's dumbest architects. They got completely trumped by Camden Yards at the time, and instead of building it in a place encouraging mass transit they invite a gridlock to the neighborhood. Those were the times though. Efficient urban planning has a lot more street cred now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
We really must've hired the world's dumbest architects. They got completely trumped by Camden Yards at the time, and instead of building it in a place encouraging mass transit they invite a gridlock to the neighborhood. Those were the times though. Efficient urban planning has a lot more street cred now.

Being able to drive is one of the nicer things IMO. I like being able to tailgate outside the park.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Being able to drive is one of the nicer things IMO. I like being able to tailgate outside the park.

I understand that people from the suburbs like that they can drive, but encouraging congestion and pollution into a city is just silly when we already have the infrastructure to support the alternative.

You could have a surrounding park, lots more bars...but whatever, lost opportunity.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
I remember last year Ozzie bought one of the "Ozzie mows Wrigley Field" t-shirts and wore it around the clubhouse. He told the media something like " I may mow lawns, but I'm not the one standing outside in the rain selling t-shirts"

Ozzie needs to go on a comedy tour.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)

This conversation deserves it's own thread but they tried making a small town suburban layout for a ballpark in Chicago. It's no wonder it's not a destination place for out of towners. If they did it right they could be in the same conversation as Wrigley, Camden, Fenway, etc. The potential revenue lost from doing it the way they did is mindboggling, regardless of how many beer tents they throw in the parking lot on weekend nights in the summer.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
those shirts are beyond awful and sooo lame. i also hate this shirt i always see in those white vending carts outside u.s. cellular field that says in big letters "beat the cubs" and i think its actually a licensed shirt

The shirt that calls U.S. Cellular Field the "World's Largest Ghetto" deserves a special place in t-shirt hell. There's lots wrong with it, but at the top of the list is the fact that it doesn't remotely make sense. U.S. Cellular Field is a single building - wouldn't it be the world's "smallest ghetto"? Assuming the wearer of the shirt thinks the neighborhood surrounding the ballpark is a "ghetto," wouldn't that very neighborhood be one particularly obvious example of a larger "ghetto?" For god's sake...

The ghetto by U.S. Cellular used to be across the expressway in Bronzeville and by Ida B. Wells projects (whichever ones they were, I forget) but that's not even really ghetto anymore (in fact I'm trying to open up a restaurant there)

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)

Read this: http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/a-new...tent?oid=872282

I am not sure if it is the same article I read a while back, but my understanding is the same firm (HOK?) that designed The Cell actually presented the idea for a retro park in the middle of a neighborhood to Reinsdorf and the Sox. The Sox turned them down cold and questioned the idea in general. HOK took the idea to Baltimore and Camden Yards opened the season after Comiskey II opened its doors.

As tough as that story is to stomach, it gets worse. My understanding is Reinsdorf was/is in love with Kauffman Stadium and the symmetrical ballpark style of the 60s and 70s. The design of the Cell originated with the team's potential move to Addison, which was voted down via referendum. He then flirted with Tampa/St. Pete, which built the stadium currently occupied by the Rays to try to lure the Sox south. Once the IL state legislature voted to save the Sox and keep them in the city, rather than pay for a new design, Reinsdorf insisted on using the Addison design with some minor tweaks. So, we got the last of the worst generation of stadiums (see Three Rivers, Riverfront, Shea, Kauffman, Exposition, etc.), designed for a suburban setting, and located in a virtual no-man's land considering its proximity to real neighborhoods and public transportation.

The place looks great now and I love the convenience of taking the Green Line there from my house but I still lament how much they bungled the whole thing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
I wish I could be seeing a more exciting team than Houston, but I suppose I'll get to see Lance Berkman before he becomes a White Sox - knock on wood.

If you're going this weekend you won't be able to see Berkman, he's not expected to come off the DL until next Tuesday - at the earliest. You will get to see the worst baseball team known to man, however.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
If you're going this weekend you won't be able to see Berkman, he's not expected to come off the DL until next Tuesday - at the earliest. You will get to see the worst baseball team known to man, however.

The cubs? zing!

Lets just say the Sox did design a park with a neighborhood plan similar to Camden Yards, Fenway, and Wrigley. What would the parking situation be like?

Would people have to park their cars farther away from the park than the do now? If so, then that would actually suck because I always drive to the Sox games from Orland Park and I never take public transportation to the Cell.

Maybe if they had put one big parking garage somewhere and created a little bar and shops neighborhood where parts of the current big parking lots are, then maybe that would work.

But I have to admit, I think there is some South Side charm to how the Cell and the area around the Cell is right now. I think the way how there's lots of dusty parking lots, train tracks nearby, a busy highway a block or so over, congested traffic, and rather desolation in terms of a lack of bars and restuarants, captures the essence of the South Side in a perfect way.

In fact, I like the grittiness, the slightly roughness, and socio-economic decay feel that the area gives, almost like a rust-belt city, and it has it's own charm. It captures the feel that I like of other South Side neighborhoods I like such as Wood Lawn and Hedgewisch in the far South Side. In those areas, a lot of architectural features such as old brick buildings, unkempt houses, and even railroad tracks and bridges, are very photogenic. :)

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
The shirt that calls U.S. Cellular Field the "World's Largest Ghetto" deserves a special place in t-shirt hell. There's lots wrong with it, but at the top of the list is the fact that it doesn't remotely make sense. U.S. Cellular Field is a single building - wouldn't it be the world's "smallest ghetto"? Assuming the wearer of the shirt thinks the neighborhood surrounding the ballpark is a "ghetto," wouldn't that very neighborhood be one particularly obvious example of a larger "ghetto?" For god's sake...

There is a TON more crime in wrigleyville as well as homelessness and drug problems. Bridgeport is much more family friendly and safe. Of course since 70 percent of fans at Wrigley Field come from out of the area, they would have no idea which neighborhood is which anyway.