Fire Ozzie

shago

Omar 'I'm 42' Vizquel leading off for a MLB team?

Different line-ups every night (any other team you know have different line-ups like this night-to-night let alone year-to-year)?

The past-the-prime squad of stiffs and Kotsay in the 5-hole?

R/L/R/L/R/L/R/L/R/L/R/L/R/L/R/L/R/L

Beckham bunting

I'm smarter/cuter than the game -- so tired of his bullsh*t

Ricky Romero, like all the novice/rook pitchers in the 2nd half last year we made look brilliant are not because they have electric stuff, it's because we dont allow our players to play in a consistent line-up with a coherent/intelligent game plan.

Ozzie, like your idiot son, time to go ...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cowch @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
I agree that a lineup should be at least remotely established, but I don't think firing Ozzie will help anything. And really? 2 weeks into the season seems a bit premature for this.

Welcome to Soxtalk. I'm surprised these threads weren't popping up in the spring honestly.

QUOTE (Cowch @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
I agree that a lineup should be at least remotely established, but I don't think firing Ozzie will help anything. And really? 2 weeks into the season seems a bit premature for this.

Would agree it is early in the season, but he's been doing this for years. He's simply not a good manager... '05 won despite his antics not because of them.

I don't mind if he resigns, but that won't happen....nor will he be fired.

As Ozzie always says, Joe Torre suddenly became a really good manager when he took over the Yankees, Francona with the Red Sox, etc. It's pretty hard to expect him to beat the Twins when he has a gun with only one or two bullets and the Twins are fully-loaded, so to speak.

2008, it seems, we overachieved and last year we returned to norm, where we probably deserved to be, a .500 ballclub. Now maybe because KW misallocated some of our resources and our budget has been in the $95-105 million rnage, we perhaps EXPECTED to be better, but the overall talent is clearly just middle of the pack.

If you stack our everyday line-up up against Minnesota, the only players that would start for the Twins would be Beckham (over Hudson), possibly Ramirez (although Hardy would be the clear choice so far) and 3B is a toss-up. Otherwise, the Twins have a clear advantage at every position on the field, although you can once again argue Rios over Span or Quentin over D. Young.

Overall, the line-ups aren't even close because of how good Mauer and Morneau are, not to mention Cuddyer, Kubel and Span.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Would agree it is early in the season, but he's been doing this for years. He's simply not a good manager... '05 won despite his antics not because of them.

And you really think Jerry Manuel or Terry Bevington would have held that team together down the stretch when the Indians were closing fast?

That you would have gone to El Duque at just the exact perfect time in the post-season, or known exactly how/when to use Brandon McCarthy?

And those managers would have been able to go through 3 closers in one season?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
I don't mind if he resigns, but that won't happen....nor will he be fired.

As Ozzie always says, Joe Torre suddenly became a really good manager when he took over the Yankees, Francona with the Red Sox, etc. It's pretty hard to expect him to beat the Twins when he has a gun with only one or two bullets and the Twins are fully-loaded, so to speak.

2008, it seems, we overachieved and last year we returned to norm, where we probably deserved to be, a .500 ballclub. Now maybe because KW misallocated some of our resources and our budget has been in the $95-105 million rnage, we perhaps EXPECTED to be better, but the overall talent is clearly just middle of the pack.

If you stack our everyday line-up up against Minnesota, the only players that would start for the Twins would be Beckham (over Hudson), possibly Ramirez (although Hardy would be the clear choice so far) and 3B is a toss-up. Otherwise, the Twins have a clear advantage at every position on the field, although you can once again argue Rios over Span or Quentin over D. Young.

Overall, the line-ups aren't even close because of how good Mauer and Morneau are, not to mention Cuddyer, Kubel and Span.

TRUE

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Yes, but you can't blame then lineup without blaming Ozzie for the construction of it. It's too early to call for him to be fired, but if this lineup is a massive bust, changes need to be made at the end of this season.

That's why I don't like being committed to Pierre and Teahen over multiple seasons, not to mention Linebrink.

Jenks at his salary also isn't going to be a good fit for a team in our position.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)

Different line-ups every night (any other team you know have different line-ups like this night-to-night let alone year-to-year)?

Beckham bunting

Ricky Romero, like all the novice/rook pitchers in the 2nd half last year we made look brilliant are not because they have electric stuff, it's because we dont allow our players to play in a consistent line-up with a coherent/intelligent game plan.

this is a complete garbage argument. We had seven starters, one platoon player in Jones, and one bench player in the line up. That had nothing to do with it.

Ricky Romero is a first round draft pick and a pretty solid pitcher overall. He looked really good tonight and clearly there wasn't enough work done prepping for this game. That said, this isn't like getting shut out by Adam Eaton or anything.

I would like to see Rios lead off sometime soon. It seems silly to waste outs on Pierre when Alex is clearly swinging the hot bat.

Until we make some moves to improve the lineup, I've lowered my expectations for this team. I will be pleasantly surprised by anything good that we do.

It's been said a million times by people way smarter than me. We have a pretty horses*** lineup, especially if as you say, Beckham has to keep bunting all the time. I would agree, move Beckham to fifth or something and let somebody else do the bunting. Beckham actually has some pop in his bat.

I digress. Our lineup is very bad and there's no reason to think we can contend for anything meaningful with this lineup. I didn't think the Tigers would get off to a good start like this, but they may be better than we are, as well.

With all due respect to Ranger, my cop out is I am expecting little, hoping for a lot.

And yes, our pitching is fantastic.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)

Ok then, what did Ozzie do wrong in 2005 FWIW?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
Romero was damn good tonight, other than Vizquel leading off, you really can't blame Ozzie.

I get the feeling quite a few people around here have never heard of Romero. He wasn't taken 6th overall in the '05 draft for kicks. He's got a good FB, a plus change and a plus curve.

Is Lamarr Hoyt pissed because he got traded for Ozzie? Does he think he would be manager now if he wasn't?

There were 7 or 8 regular starters, depending on what you consider Jones, in the lineup tonight and they managed one hit. What was Ozzie thinking?

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)

Beckham bunting

We used 124 different lineups last year. The Angels used 123. The Twins used 129. The Tigers used 126. Texas used 123. The Rays used 123.