Nats likely to take Harper with No. 1 pick

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
I forgot where I read the comparison, but Josh Hamilton is a really good comparison. I envision something similar to Hamilton's 08 for Harper except more K's, more power, less average, and more of a pull hitter. Kind of like if Ryan Howard and Josh Hamilton had a son.

If he is anything like Hamilton and Howard (or a cross mix) he will be an all-star, especially if he sticks at catcher.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
Harper was ejected from a game at the JUCO world series yesterday for arguing a strike call. Juco rules state that if a player is ejected twice during a season, he's suspended for two games. Since Harper was ejected earlier this year, he sits two games, and his juco career might be over.

If there is one down side to Harper since high school, it has always been his temper. Hopefully for the Nats sake he matures alot over the minor league level, cause he will get alot of calls (hitting and catching for his pitcher) that he will not like.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
If the Nats were smart, they'd draft Harper but have no intention of signing him. His bust factor is ridiculously high, IMO, and with the amount of money he wants, they might be better off waiting till next year, get their pick back (now, would they get the no. 1 or no. 2 pick next year?), and be able to pick the player they want.

From what I've seen, heard, and read about Harper, he will become a MLB player, but I doubt he becomes a superstar. I forgot where I read the comparison, but Josh Hamilton is a really good comparison. I envision something similar to Hamilton's 08 for Harper except more K's, more power, less average, and more of a pull hitter. Kind of like if Ryan Howard and Josh Hamilton had a son.

If that is the case then it would be very stupid not to pay for him.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
If that is the case then it would be very stupid not to pay for him.

I think thats his upside, and considering even the best prospects only have a 10-20% chance of reaching their potential, I don't think its worth the money, especially when you take into account his clear and present ego issues.

If I thought his upside was that of Mauer, Morneau, or Votto, yeah, I would pay him.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
Harper was ejected from a game at the JUCO world series yesterday for arguing a strike call. Juco rules state that if a player is ejected twice during a season, he's suspended for two games. Since Harper was ejected earlier this year, he sits two games, and his juco career might be over.

Yet another piece of evidence that this kid is going to have problems. I realize the talent level is ridiculous, but everything I've read about his head and his makeup is that he's going to hit some serious walls. He's still young enough to adjust and improve from there, but when I think of high talent draft picks and failure risk, this guy seems to have a high level of it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Yet another piece of evidence that this kid is going to have problems. I realize the talent level is ridiculous, but everything I've read about his head and his makeup is that he's going to hit some serious walls. He's still young enough to adjust and improve from there, but when I think of high talent draft picks and failure risk, this guy seems to have a high level of it.

Just curious, but did you (or anyone else using this incident as evidence) actually see what he did? Because it was hardly cause for ejection in that situation. It was dumb and juvenile and something that you'd expect out of a high schooler (shocking!) but in the grand scheme of things that incident would mean absolutely nothing to me when judging him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Just curious, but did you (or anyone else using this incident as evidence) actually see what he did? Because it was hardly cause for ejection in that situation. It was dumb and juvenile and something that you'd expect out of a high schooler (shocking!) but in the grand scheme of things that incident would mean absolutely nothing to me when judging him.

I'm saying, if you can't get through a short JUCO season without getting ejected twice, you may have an attitude problem.