April Catch All White Sox Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that is some encouraging information with the run differentials. I imagine we'll all feel a lot better if the Sox win the next two series. I know that doesn't seem likely considering how they are playing. But, if Ozzie pulls his head out of his ass with reagrds to the lineup, and the starters get out of their slump, and a few guys start hitting, anything can happen.

On the flip side, if this home stand ends up 2-4 or worse...I shudder to think what will happen.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
I believe the Twins to be the best team in baseball.

I think they're the best in the AL Central, but not the best in baseball, although they are playing some great ball now.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
On the flip side, if this home stand ends up 2-4 or worse...I shudder to think what will happen.

Aside from a few more "Boo"s in the ballpark, nothing. The fan sites are already freaking out like crazy, there's still every statistical reason to believe it's just a crappy start that will correct, and any GM or owner who makes a drastic change in late April based on panic over a few slow weeks deserves to wind up with a decade of losing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Aside from a few more "Boo"s in the ballpark, nothing. The fan sites are already freaking out like crazy, there's still every statistical reason to believe it's just a crappy start that will correct, and any GM or owner who makes a drastic change in late April based on panic over a few slow weeks deserves to wind up with a decade of losing.

I agree that no major change would occur. I was alluding to the fact that there would be "boos" and much internet and newspaper callings for the heads of those responsible. But imagine heading off on a road trip to Texas and New York with a record of 6-13. Ugh.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

White Sox are 25th, still ahead of the Royals, who outscored opponents 50-35 but only went 3-3. They need the "real" Zach Greinke back.

See notes on A's (Sweeney highlight), Rays (winners of 8 in a row on the road now, dating back to last season) and Mariners (4 game winning streak). The "perfect storm" is hitting USCF this week. What will happen?

The guy with the White Sox comments pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Lance Berkman comes off the DL this week, by the way.

Are the Twins better than the Yankees or Rays? Probably not. Which is scary, because they're clearly better than us and DET.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
I agree that no major change would occur. I was alluding to the fact that there would be "boos" and much internet and newspaper callings for the heads of those responsible. But imagine heading off on a road trip to Texas and New York with a record of 6-13. Ugh.

Our new offensively-challenged team is not built to compete at either of those 2 stadiums.

The pitching HAS no other choice but to kick it into gear and carry this team for a month, like coming out of the gates in 2008.

Otherwise we're cooked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)

I agree that a GM should not make drastic changes in April. The difference I see is that the Red Sox actually have a good offensive team that is starting slow. The White Sox have a bad offensive team that is starting slow and any drastic change would be good and something that should have been done before the season started. If you compare the teams its not even close.

C - Victor >> AJ

1b - Youk >> PK

2b - Pedroia > Beckham.

3b - Beltre > Teahan

ss - Scutaro = Ramirez, maybe a slight edge to Al.

LF - Elsbury >> Pierre

CF - Rios > Cameron

RF - Quentin = Drew. Both have health issues. Carlos has more upside.

DH - Ortiz > Kotsay. Both are terrible.

The only positions were we are better are CF and arguably RF. The Red Sox are significantly better at multiple positions. Thus, it would be dumb for them to panic. The White Sox, however, need to make changes to improve. I don't consider that a panic move.

The Red Sox and White Sox also have very good bullpens, certainly one of the strengths (more of an individual analysis of their arms/talent/ability rather than "pitching under pressure" in tie games or with 1 run leads/deficits, that's been a definite weakness).

Papelbon is walking a ton of batters so far, though.

What is curious is both teams have upper-echelon rotations and both have failed to show up quite a bit to start the season.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
I agree that a GM should not make drastic changes in April. The difference I see is that the Red Sox actually have a good offensive team that is starting slow. The White Sox have a bad offensive team that is starting slow and any drastic change would be good and something that should have been done before the season started. If you compare the teams its not even close.

C - Victor >> AJ

1b - Youk >> PK

2b - Pedroia > Beckham.

3b - Beltre > Teahan

ss - Scutaro = Ramirez, maybe a slight edge to Al.

LF - Elsbury >> Pierre

CF - Rios > Cameron

RF - Quentin = Drew. Both have health issues. Carlos has more upside.

DH - Ortiz > Kotsay. Both are terrible.

The only positions were we are better are CF and arguably RF. The Red Sox are significantly better at multiple positions. Thus, it would be dumb for them to panic. The White Sox, however, need to make changes to improve. I don't consider that a panic move.

Quentin is >> Drew and you leave Jones of of the equation for some reason. I will also say that I do not think elsbury is >> then Pierre. Jon Lackey was lit up today.

Ellsbury is most certainly better than Pierre.

Call up Epstein and offer Pierre for Ellsbury and it will be as ridiculous as them asking for Mark Buehrle in previous seasons for Manny Del Carmen.

You can forget about David Ortiz soon. He will be replaced by Adrian Gonzalez. It's inevitable that Epstein has to act to, and soon.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Are the Twins better than the Yankees or Rays? Probably not. Which is scary, because they're clearly better than us and DET.

Do you think the Twins at the end of the season will have the 2nd best pitching staff in the AL?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Do you think the Twins at the end of the season will have the 2nd best pitching staff in the AL?

No, but it could be top 4-7. They have a good back end of the pen and a very solid rotation with lots of talent. The Twins are very good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)

Maybe...

If Liriano is back again, at anything close to 2006 form, it's over. Baker is a solid/underappreciated 2, same with Blackburn and Slowey, those guys are like Sonnanstine/Shields.

The big question surrounds Carl Pavano, and who he really is and turns out to be.

Their pen is very good if Crain and Guerrier can get it back together, obviously Rauch could be an issue over time. Mijares basically took the place of D. Reyes in plaguing the Sox.

Then you have Perkins/Swarzak/Duensing, etc., for depth. Not as good as our rotation SHOULD be on paper, but we all know how many division titles the White Sox should have on paper, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Maybe...

If Liriano is back again, at anything close to 2006 form, it's over. Baker is a solid/underappreciated 2, same with Blackburn and Slowey, those guys are like Sonnanstine/Shields.

The big question surrounds Carl Pavano, and who he really is and turns out to be.

Their pen is very good if Crain and Guerrier can get it back together, obviously Rauch could be an issue over time. Mijares basically took the place of D. Reyes in plaguing the Sox.

Then you have Perkins/Swarzak/Duensing, etc., for depth. Not as good as our rotation SHOULD be on paper, but we all know how many division titles the White Sox should have on paper, right?

The Twins pitching staff is not the 2nd best staff in the league. It would take a minor miracle for them to put up the 2nd best ERA in the league.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Quentin is >> Drew and you leave Jones of of the equation for some reason. I will also say that I do not think elsbury is >> then Pierre. Jon Lackey was lit up today.

JD Drew has put up .900+ OPS's each of the past 2 seasons, and an .890+ OPS in 3 out of the past 4 seasons and an 8.1 UZR/150 over the past 3 years. He's consistently banged up (137+ GP in 3 of the past 4 years isn't too bad) but he's one hell of a baseball player. I'd say he's better than Quentin given just how much Quentin has to prove and what JD Drew has produced over the course of his career.

Ellsbury put up a .350 OBP, .770 OPS and 70 SB with an 85% SB% last year in the AL EAST at the age of 25. Those are awesome numbers. The last time Juan Pierre had anything near a .355+ OBP in a full season's worth of PA? 2004. A .770+ OPS? 2004. 70 SB? He had 64 in 2007 with an 81% SB% but he holds a career 75% SB% compared to Ellsbury's 85%, Juan is consistently in the mid 70's, there's a huge difference between that and mid 80's. Now Juan is 32 and has put up a .289/.334/.364/.698 line over the past 5 seasons (and that's including his obviously anomalous 2009 season) Pierre just can't compete with the likes of Jacoby Ellsbury who is a significantly more valuable offensive ballplayer.

True, earthshiner, but at 4-9 a day off wouldn't hurt.

The team better gets its head out of its collective butt soon. Teams like the Royals and O's regularly get buried by mid May.

4-9 ain't gonna cut it.

I plead with the Sox to get it together and start winning games.