April Catch All White Sox Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
JD Drew has put up .900+ OPS's each of the past 2 seasons, and an .890+ OPS in 3 out of the past 4 seasons and an 8.1 UZR/150 over the past 3 years. He's consistently banged up (137+ GP in 3 of the past 4 years isn't too bad) but he's one hell of a baseball player. I'd say he's better than Quentin given just how much Quentin has to prove and what JD Drew has produced over the course of his career.

Ellsbury put up a .350 OBP, .770 OPS and 70 SB with an 85% SB% last year in the AL EAST at the age of 25. Those are awesome numbers. The last time Juan Pierre had anything near a .355+ OBP in a full season's worth of PA? 2004. A .770+ OPS? 2004. 70 SB? He had 64 in 2007 with an 81% SB% but he holds a career 75% SB% compared to Ellsbury's 85%, Juan is consistently in the mid 70's, there's a huge difference between that and mid 80's. Now Juan is 32 and has put up a .289/.334/.364/.698 line over the past 5 seasons (and that's including his obviously anomalous 2009 season) Pierre just can't compete with the likes of Jacoby Ellsbury who is a significantly more valuable offensive ballplayer.

Total agreement that there's no comparison between Pierre/Ellsbury right now. However, I don't think using career SB% as a point for Ellsbury applies considering the massive difference in sample size.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
Well, the Mariners have won 5 straight now (almost had a no-hitter) and the Rays have won 8 in a row on the road dating back to 2009.

YIKES is all you can say at this point.

I don't know how many different ways you're going to say the same thing. We know how good both teams are playing. Who cares? We've lost 5/6 to the Indians. The Sox need to play better. It's that simple. Doesn't matter who they're playing.

Yes, I wrote that before.

And then scenario wrote it again...so I was reiterating, since people don't seem to read through most threads, they just start at the back and sometimes work their way forwards.

And the last time I wrote it, Seattle hadn't played yet...or had a no-hitter almost.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
Total agreement that there's no comparison between Pierre/Ellsbury right now. However, I don't think using career SB% as a point for Ellsbury applies considering the massive difference in sample size.

I get that but if I'm forced to compare the 2 I don't have much of a sample size in any category. If you use the last 3 years Ellsbury (529 SB opportunities): 85%, Pierre (630 SB opportunities): 78%.

I don't know how many different ways you're going to say the same thing. We know how good both teams are playing. Who cares? We've lost 5/6 to the Indians. The Sox need to play better. It's that simple. Doesn't matter who they're playing.

I agree that the opposition doesn't matter a bit.

We have played like horses*** vs. the Central for a while now. We need to win a zillion games just like tonight's if we are gonna do anything. I don't think it matters who we play unless it's the opponents of that road trip from hell last year: at New York, boston and Minnie.

For those of you who thought A.J.'s defense sucked (myself included), Plus/Minus does not agree. According to the new FanGraphs WAR values that include catchers stolen base runs saved, A.J. was a +1 last season, although he was a -2 in 08. Overall, he's pretty average/slightly below average. I'm not completely sure how they calculate these things, but it appears that it's not A.J.'s fault that his SB% against is so bad.

How do they calculate that?

Taking into account the fact that pitchers like Contreras, Floyd, Vazquez, Garcia, Jenks, etc., did/do a pretty crappy job holding runners...not that AJ would be like Marson, Mauer or a Molina...I guess he's slightly below adequate, but better than V-Mart.

How can they calculate gamesmanship, pitch selection, game strategy/location of attacking opponent's hitting weaknesses...? Almost impossible to develop statistics (beyond CD/field percentage) to accurately reflect a catcher's value. Then you have the fact that many catchers don't even call their own games, it's all relayed from the bench.

The way Kenny put this team together has really made me appreciate Ted Thompson more. I used to not like him much, but he builds his team through solid drafting and scouting and not overpaying on free agents. So, thanks Kenny, for this!

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
The way Kenny put this team together has really made me appreciate Ted Thompson more. I used to not like him much, but he builds his team through solid drafting and scouting and not overpaying on free agents. So, thanks Kenny, for this!

What free agents has this team signed that they overpaid for? Jones?