April Catch All White Sox Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
Nice article about Buehrle and his chances at the Hall of Fame. If he sticks around, it's definitely possible.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/m...f-fame#comments

He has 137 wins and has indicated he prolly isn't gonna stick around for too much longer.. I love Buehrle but im not seeing him making the Hall of Fame..

Its a shame he has been on some pretty mediocre teams or those numbers could be a lot better too..

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 04:48 AM)
He has 137 wins and has indicated he prolly isn't gonna stick around for too much longer.. I love Buehrle but im not seeing him making the Hall of Fame..

Its a shame he has been on some pretty mediocre teams or those numbers could be a lot better too..

I hope Jamie is right and that he's bluffing about retiring so soon, because if he pitches till he's 40, I think he's a HOFer.

If you want to talk about pitchers who were on bad or mediocre teams, you'd have to include the likes of Blyleven, Nolan Ryan, Kaat, etc.

The White Sox since 1990 have the 4th highest overall winning percentage in baseball behind the Yankees/Braves/Red Sox...something like that. But when they look at Mark's career, nobody is going to say he had really bad luck to pitch with some bad White Sox teams.

The only teams we had that were "bad" were 2001 (and we ended up the season very well after being 15 games under .500) and 2007. Plus, they'll remember the World Series heroics and the fact that he has played on 2 other playoff teams.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 04:48 AM)

The criteria for HOF caliber pitchers is going to change considerably, IMO. The game is totally different now than it was back in the day. Will probably die before we see another 300-game winner. Hell, even a 200-game winner will be the exception, not the rule.

There's a "It's Black And White" radio ad that lists a bunch of stats and then says that the only stat that matters is wins.

One of the stats they list is "unforced errors." There is no such baseball stat. That's a tennis term. Errors in baseball are pretty much unforced by definition. That bugs me.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
There's a "It's Black And White" radio ad that lists a bunch of stats and then says that the only stat that matters is wins.

One of the stats they list is "unforced errors." There is no such baseball stat. That's a tennis term. Errors in baseball are pretty much unforced by definition. That bugs me.

Ozzie was behind this commercial.

Where was Guillen when Rios connected? Well, he was in his clubhouse office, watching soap operas from Telemundo. Guillen had been ejected in the top of the ninth after arguing a call by third-base umpire Fieldin Culbreth, allowing two runs to score on Casey Kotchman's ground-rule double off of Bobby Jenks (1-0).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
It's a bit odd that Ozzie didn't even bother watching the rest of the game. Hell, in my experience a lot of managers still manage to refer all their instructions to the Bench coach from the dugout.

He's proably lying to the media in a humorous way.

I'd bet that he was watching/communicating from somewhere that he shouldn't have.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
Does anyone have any trouble viewing videos on mlb.com or whitesox.com on Firefox? For the most part, Firefox never plays them for me.

Do you have the adblock extension?

Is it better for us if SD decides to trade Adrian Gonzalez soon? or later in the year?

I would think later. If SD keeps winning that allows (1) Boston to have to turn elsewhere before their season goes to pot (2) allows Jared Mitchell perhaps to get healthy by the very end of the year and prove his value to teams once again (3) allows another Sox prospect to potentially step up his value and get into the trade conversation(Morel?)

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Is it better for us if SD decides to trade Adrian Gonzalez soon? or later in the year?

I would think later. If SD keeps winning that allows (1) Boston to have to turn elsewhere before their season goes to pot (2) allows Jared Mitchell perhaps to get healthy by the very end of the year and prove his value to teams once again (3) allows another Sox prospect to potentially step up his value and get into the trade conversation(Morel?)

It would better later in the year simply because it might put other potential suitors, such as the Mariners and Athletics, out of the picture. If it came down to any type of bidding war between the Sox and virtually anyone else, the Sox will lose. I really don't think it matters because I don't think the Sox will be making to look a splash quite that big.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Nope

I use Firefox and have no problem with videos.

Make sure you have all the appropriate plugins...

And that if you use a scriptblocker like noscript that you're not blocking tools mlb.com uses for videos.... like Silverlight.

Edited by scenario

i heard a guy on mlb radio hypothesizing about a potential floyd plus prospects for adrian gonzalez. Im pretty sure he made it up himself but i was wondering if anybody thought there was any credence to this and what people thought about that deal.

i dont hate it although it would cut into our biggest strength to help our biggest weakness. We could probably count on hudson as a fifth starter but im not sure if we can count on freddie as the fourth guy since hes seems to be inconsistent.

How is it that Andruw Jones, Paul Konerko, Mark Teahen, and Alex Rios (probably the 4 most important guys in our lineup heading into the season according to many, me not excluded) are all doing very well offensively, and we're STILL not even in the top 10 in the AL in runs? Dear A.J. Pierzynski, Carlos Quentin, Gordon Beckham, Juan Pierre, and Alexei Ramirez (especially the first 3, I expected Pierre to suck and Ramirez is always awful in the cold/April): please remove your heads from your asses.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)

Forget about Mitchell for now. They are not going to push this kid back to play after the injury he had. Even if he can get back to playing, he isn't going to have value to another organization until he proves healthy for a significant period of time.