April Catch All White Sox Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
1. Astros Fans.

2. Expos fans.

3. Puerto Rico fans.

4. Baltimore fans.

5. Elijah Dukes.

hahaha

elijah hates a lot of people i bet

Ozzie decision to bunt in the 7th inning with 0 outs and men on 1st and 2nd was almost unanimously panned in the game thread due to the fact that Pierre was the next batter. Alexei successfully bunted both runners into scoring position. Pierre promptly popped out but both runners eventually scored on a wild pitch plus wild throw into the dugout by the Ranger catcher.

I saw one poster admit it was the right call for anyone but Pierre. It was probably the right call regardless of who was batting. A successful bunt puts 2 men in scoring position with just 1 out and kept us out of the DP which we have hit into many times.

Some would say that Ozzie lucked into the 2 runs but as Branch Rickey once said " luck is the residue of design" and clearly the design was better with men at 2nd and 3rd with one out than to risk a DP.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
Ozzie decision to bunt in the 7th inning with 0 outs and men on 1st and 2nd was almost unanimously panned in the game thread due to the fact that Pierre was the next batter. Alexei successfully bunted both runners into scoring position. Pierre promptly popped out but both runners eventually scored on a wild pitch plus wild throw into the dugout by the Ranger catcher.

I saw one poster admit it was the right call for anyone but Pierre. It was probably the right call regardless of who was batting. A successful bunt puts 2 men in scoring position with just 1 out and kept us out of the DP which we have hit into many times.

Some would say that Ozzie lucked into the 2 runs but as Branch Rickey once said " luck is the residue of design" and clearly the design was better with men at 2nd and 3rd with one out than to risk a DP.

That was me.

With the way we have been hitting, putting a runner at 3rd with less than 2 outs seemed to be a more likely scenario to score him as a SF would have gotten the job done. However, since Pierre has about the same power as this guy, I would not have done it there and just hoped Alexei didnt bounce into a DP. I know this is the AL and not the NL, but in the 7th or later and you have a chance to tie the game like that I think you take it, especially when we have been struggling to get hits in general.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
The difference with the Yankees is probably that there are a lot of people who like them.

Right, but almost all of New England hates them, a third of the NY metro area hates them and a good portion of the rest of the country hates them. Any list that doesn't have them and the Red Sox at 1-2 (or 2-1) is a flawed list IMO.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Right, but almost all of New England hates them, a third of the NY metro area hates them and a good portion of the rest of the country hates them. Any list that doesn't have them and the Red Sox at 1-2 (or 2-1) is a flawed list IMO.

There's 2 ways to do the questioning though...it could be Amount that like them minus the amount that h ate them, or it could be total raw amount that hate them.

IF you do the former...you're going to possibly get teams like the Astros or Indians up near the top...because, thanks to repeated dismantlings and poor management...their hometown people don't like them.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 08:15 AM)

Yeah, but 2/3 of the NY metro area loves them, and that alone is bigger than any other team's local fan base. Add in all the random people across the country that like them because they are the Yankees, and I think the hatred gets somewhat cancelled out.

So, I think that stat is wrong at least how its phrased. Paul Konerko has 18 RBI, the Sox have scored 88 runs. That means Konerko has driven in 20.4% of our runs. He has a larger percentage of our RBI, however. The Tigers have 100 RBI and Miguel Cabrera has 25 of them, so he has to be the one PK14 is "Behind", but the Tigers have also scored 110 runs, so when you do the math that way, they're both basically at 22.7% of the team's total runs scored.