April Catch All White Sox Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
I know this has nothing to do with the Sox, but what issues are you talking about?

From this article that Balta posted in another thread:

One big question mark is whether Ed Norton, who reportedly refused to promote 2008's "The Incredible Hulk" due to a dispute with producers, will return as the Hulk.

Didn't we have a thread a few weeks ago asking who the emergency 3rd catcher would be?

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Kotsay would be his emergency pitcher and Jayson Nix his third catcher if his roster got stretched out as the Cardinals' and the Mets' did during their 20-inning game Saturday. Kotsay was a standout outfielder and pitcher at Cal State Fullerton in the mid-1990s.

I won't start a new thread because there's been enough doom and gloom talk, but is anyone else REALLY concerned right now? If this keeps up, and I have a feeling it will, does Ozzie get fired? I'm thoroughly disgusted with the whole DH thing, and seeing Kotsay batting 3rd or 5th almost seemd like Ozzie just being an ass.

Am I over-reacting to suggest that the season is on the brink of being over....in April?

Being 5 games out with a bad offense, a starting rotation that is showing some inconsistentcy and having TB coming in, if something doesn't change quickly, this team is going to find itself 7 or 8 games back by the end of the month.

I know some will read this, and laugh, say I'm over-reacting, etc, but seasons have been lost before in April, and I'm not sure this team has the capability to play catchup beyond a certain point.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Am I over-reacting to suggest that the season is on the brink of being over....in April?

Being 5 games out with a bad offense, a starting rotation that is showing some inconsistentcy and having TB coming in, if something doesn't change quickly, this team is going to find itself 7 or 8 games back by the end of the month.

I know some will read this, and laugh, say I'm over-reacting, etc, but seasons have been lost before in April, and I'm not sure this team has the capability to play catchup beyond a certain point.

Well said.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)

Overreacting, yes - if you are saying the season is over.

If you are saying you are nervous and very concerned, then I'd agree.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
I won't start a new thread because there's been enough doom and gloom talk, but is anyone else REALLY concerned right now? If this keeps up, and I have a feeling it will, does Ozzie get fired? I'm thoroughly disgusted with the whole DH thing, and seeing Kotsay batting 3rd or 5th almost seemd like Ozzie just being an ass.

I am really concerned. Is it overreacting to say that the season is over? Sure. There is a lot of baseball left to be played. BUT if changes are not made soon I don't think its a stretch to believe that the season is slipping away. The current team does not hit enough to be a playoff team and I don't think that is going to change. It's pretty easy to see that we do not have enough good offensive players.

If I knew that this is the lineup we are going to play out the season with and Kotsay is going to start 100 games, hitting 3rd, 5th, or 9th, I would sadly say that yes the season is over.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
If I knew that this is the lineup we are going to play out the season with and Kotsay is going to start 100 games, hitting 3rd, 5th, or 9th, I would sadly say that yes the season is over.

It was pretty obvious by the end of the spring that Ozzie intended to give Kotsay the lion's share of AB's at the DH, which project out to be around 400 AB's, Ozzie even went so far as to say that he wanted to bat Kotsay third going into othe regular season. None of this is a shock.

Don´t think you are over-reacting. Another thing that has tobe addressed is whether Pierre is going to be our lead-off answer long term. His BA is terrible and his OBP not much better but it is early and he does have 6 stolen bases in 14 on base opportunites (10 hits/4 BB´s) which is very good. Hope his BA goes up to at least .270.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
It was pretty obvious by the end of the spring that Ozzie intended to give Kotsay the lion's share of AB's at the DH, which project out to be around 400 AB's, Ozzie even went so far as to say that he wanted to bat Kotsay third going into othe regular season. None of this is a shock.

No its not a shock. But it also shouldn't have been a shock this was a bad idea in the spring and its should be pretty obvious that its a horrible idea now.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Don´t think you are over-reacting. Another thing that has tobe addressed is whether Pierre is going to be our lead-off answer long term. His BA is terrible and his OBP not much better but it is early and he does have 6 stolen bases in 14 on base opportunites (10 hits/4 BB´s) which is very good. Hope his BA goes up to at least .270.

Juan Pierre is a .300 career hitter. It's always plausible he's finished completely...but he's actually moving on the base paths as shown by your SB numbers, so I see no reason to expect that he doesn't have his legs under him. What's more likely...he's forgotten how to hit completely, or he's in a slump to open the season and by the end of the year he'll be back up somewhere above .280?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
No its not a shock. But it also shouldn't have been a shock this was a bad idea in the spring and its should be pretty obvious that its a horrible idea now.

It's not a shock that he's trying it now. What's going to be a shock is if he insists on keeping it up.

I just noticed that Boston is 4-8.

They've scored 6 runs less than we have (they did play one less game, still, 6 runs is a decent amount in one game).

They have a run differential of -13, we have a differential of -2.

To be fair, Boston has played much better teams, but you have to imagine that the people in Boston are also freaking out.

They're also not hitting, just like us. So I guess we're not the only ones here that's really underachieving.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
Wait, that's it?

Considering we had a lead in almost every game so far, it's not that surprising.

The Pythagorean W-L% would have us at .500, most likely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
We've lost a lot of very close games, and won a few by large margins. So its possible.

If we're -2 runs with Quentin sporting a .727 OPS and Becksy <.700 and pierre hitting .208 starters with era>6...that's plenty of reason to stop panicking.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
If we're -2 runs with Quentin sporting a .727 OPS and Becksy <.700 and pierre hitting .208 starters with era>6...that's plenty of reason to stop panicking.

I agree. That's why I've been saying... nervous, yes. Panic/season over, no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)

Run diffs in the ALC:

MIN +22

DET -3

CLE -5

KAN -8

CHW -2

And just for fun... WAS is 6-6 right now, with a -17 run differential.