Ex white sox who are good bullpen guys now

ozzfest

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
this isn't criticizing our bullpen, i was just talking with a friend about this,,....

I'll get it started....

Frank Fransisco

David Aardsma

Jon Rausch

Nick Masset

I wonder if other teams can make a similar list, often times BP guys are kind of fringe guys who flamed out or changed their style, and sometimes that takes a move to another org or two to pan out.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
I wonder if other teams can make a similar list, often times BP guys are kind of fringe guys who flamed out or changed their style, and sometimes that takes a move to another org or two to pan out.

Mariners.

1. Matt Thornton

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
I hated Mike MacDougal. How's he doing?

Was the full-time closer for the Nats last year. I actually brought my Dougy road Sox jearsey out to a game for him to sign last year when I lived there, figuring the 12 Nats fans there wouldn't even know him. He never even bothered to come out to the field. The Nationals have since released him, I don't know where he is now.

EDIT: Upon looking at my post, I should clarify: yes, I actually do have a Mike MacDougal jersey. I don't think his own mother even has one.

Edited by The Baconator

I wouldnt really want any of those guys right now. Sure they are alright, they get some outs, but really. Those guys are a bunch of "B" players and everyone knows it. They have roles sure, but come on, those are not ur sure thing bullpen guys at all.

Matt Guerrier, David Aardsma, Frank Francisco, Nick Masset, and Octavio Dotel are the only quality bp guys that were once part of the wsox organization currently pitching for other teams. Although Francisco, Masset, and Aardsma are all far from sure things to be succesful this season.

Forgot Rauch.

Edited by GoodAsGould

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 12:52 AM)
I wouldnt really want any of those guys right now. Sure they are alright, they get some outs, but really. Those guys are a bunch of "B" players and everyone knows it. They have roles sure, but come on, those are not ur sure thing bullpen guys at all.

And how many of those are there in baseball? Bullpen guys who you know are going to be good year in and year out.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
Nick Masset was always someone I wished the Sox had kept.

I'd actually go as far as to say that I'd prefer Masset over Linebrink at this point.

I'm sure you won't be alone in that regard. Younger, cheaper, better arm/stuff etc.. hard to argue though he does pitch in the NL now, so some of his stats are a bit deceiving. Still though...

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
Also, didn't the Sox trade a lefty reliever named Jose Lopez to Boston a while back for some guy?

How is Jose Lopez doing now? I thought he was decent when I saw him pitch for Boston.

I think I'd prefer having Lopez over Randy Williams.

It actually was Javier not Jose, not to far off, and he was listed pitching for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of the West Coastal Region of the United States on thebaseballcube.com, but on milb.com he was listed as pitching with the Red Sox, but I couldn't find accurate stats for him.

It's also pretty amazing that Marte, who was on the verge of being waived by the Pirates supposedly...became one of the 2-3 best lefties in baseball (along the lines of Thornton today, not quite THAT good, though) from 2002-2004.

Of course, Guerrier went on to have a very good career, too.

Is Gary Majewski still in baseball? Royce Ring? Broadway?

I remember way back when we traded Joe Valentine and some were convinced he was on track to become a lock-down closer.

Josh Fogg started out as a college reliever/closer at UF.

Chad Bradford was VERY good for a long time...not sure where he is these days.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
It actually was Javier not Jose, not to far off, and he was listed pitching for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of the West Coastal Region of the United States on thebaseballcube.com, but on milb.com he was listed as pitching with the Red Sox, but I couldn't find accurate stats for him.

They screwed up on baseball cube. The stats are correct under ''other pitching statistics'' but they should have him listed being on the pirates rather than the angels... lopez was in camp with the pirates all spring.

In 2007 lopez got hit hard by lefties .293/.366/.439 (93 plate appearances) compared to .176 /.300/.265 in 81 plate appearances. In 2008 it was an entirely different story. Lefties hit him to the tune of .182/.305/.282 (131 plate appearances) compared to .311/.365/.453 against righties in 116 plate appearances.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
Didn't he say "good" bullpen guys?

Haha come on this thread actually asked Caulfield to list ex-Sox players, he really never had a choice. This is the guy who finds a way to include a list of 7-10 ex-Sox in 75% of his posts.

I kid, I kid. Kinda.

Brendan Donnelly? Not ever on our big league roster IIRC but he's had a decent career.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
And how many of those are there in baseball? Bullpen guys who you know are going to be good year in and year out.

Well thats my point, thats why they were allowed to walk. Because of some sort of flaw or issue. If they were the Thornton or Scott Shields type it would be a different story, but those guys more similar to commodity type bullpen guys. You can find them in your farm system or on the market year in and year out. Hence, no love lost.