Ozzie convinced he'd get another job if fired

caulfield12

TORONTO — Ozzie Guillen's contract expires after next season and White Sox- Twitter controversy involving his son this spring didn't bolster relations with general manager Ken Williams.

Regardless, Guillen believes he would get another shot to manage if the Sox were to fire him.

"There are a lot of horse(bleep) managers out there that were given two and three shots to manage in the big leagues," Guillen said. "I don't see why not me.''

Guillen reluctantly mentioned Manny Acta, who was fired after 2 1/2 losing seasons with the Nationals but had two offers to manage teams last winter before selecting the Indians.

"Why can't I get another chance with another team?" Guillen said. "Am I going to keep on doing it? Well, I have to see what is going on."

Guillen said he could perform any duty in baseball except GM. He added that his television duties at the 2009 World Series enhanced his opportunities.

"If I get fired, I will tell (Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf) to fire Steve Stone, Farmio (Ed Farmer) or D.J. (Darrin Jackson)," Guillen said. "I want that job."

mark gonzales/trib

What I find annoying is that we're about to play the Indians on the road this weekend...the Indians have been playing like absolute horse manure since they left our park and here we are giving them bulletin board material by picking on their manager who pretty much out-managed Ozzie in Games 2/3 of the season.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, of course, 2 games doesn't make a career...obviously.

However, seems kind of silly to pick on the new manager in your division, simply because he had the bad luck of trying to manage the Nationals.

I mean, Ozzie more than anybody is the first to acknowledge that great players make great managers and bad managers usually are the result of a lack of talent. Just because somebody's had a job before and they failed once isn't really indicative of anything. Look at how bad Bill Belichick was when he had his first job with the Browns. Joe Torre was never considered a good manager before the Yankees, same with Francona and the Red Sox. I don't even think Ron Gardenhire is capable of getting his teams to play 10 games above their talent level...in fact, by pythagorean analysis (very simple, but it does say something) Ozzie has always been better or at least the equal of Gardy.

I also don't think you can judge Acta very well when he has one of the most worse offenses in baseball and clearly one of the 2-3 worst bullpens overall in baseball.

It seems equally as silly to put this article up in a thread and insinuate that it is surprising that Ozzie thinks he may get another job if he loses his current job. Despite what we think as fans, Ozzie has been a good manager(not great) and I have no doubt in my mind that he would get another job.

Maybe he shouldnt of called out Acta, but then again we havent seen his quote in context to the question. I wouldnt put it past any writer to move around quotes to make it seem like Ozzie was calling Acta a horse(bleep) manager who got another shot to manage a team.

I'm not the one who wrote the article...it was also a story in the Sun-Times.

Of course, any manager worth anything is going to have confidence in his abilities...whether it's silly or not, I'll let someone else be the judge. I'm sure Jerry Manuel, who everyone was ready to run out of town, had the same quotes back in 2003. But I'm also pretty sure the sports editors didn't think that was an interesting enough story to merit column inches.

Well, maybe Bevington never proclaimed he was sure to get another job somewhere.

I would be curious which posters here would go out and be willing to say they'd hire Guillen NOW over all the available options if they were running a franchise...I don't think Ozzie's a great fit for many other organizations, there are a few, though.

But I definitely wouldn't prefer Cora over Guillen...nor would I want Cora to manage the Sox. I can honestly say I'd rather have either Walker or Cooper as manager over Cora, and probably neither of those guys would be interested, well...maybe Walker, but he wouldn't take it under the condition that he would be replacing Ozzie, no way.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't think you would see anyone complain (initially) if cooper were to one day become the sox manager. Once the season starts though, it's fair game, and he would get ripped to shreds just like every other coach/manager in sports. It's just how sports work. In the eyes of the average sports fan... there is no good coach/manager. You can go to any forum out there and people are calling for every coach/managers heads... even the best of teams. Red sox fans f***ing hate francona and he was apart of two world series. Whenever i need a good laugh or two i check out sons of sam horn... i recommend it to anyone.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
I don't think you would see anyone complain (initially) if cooper were to one day become the sox manager.

There's a big difference between being a great pitching coach and a great manager. There's a reason why very few people go that route. Pitching coaching is all about knowing technique, throwing schedules, forms, etc. Managers on the other hand are handling personalities.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)
There's a big difference between being a great pitching coach and a great manager. There's a reason why very few people go that route. Pitching coaching is all about knowing technique, throwing schedules, forms, etc. Managers on the other hand are handling personalities.

Yes. I realize this. Common sense.

It's not unheard of for a person who was at one point a pitching coach to become a manager. It can happen... and it does. If it bothers you that much then cooper's name can be switched with anyone else in the world... and the point i made still stands. Fans are just not satisfied with anyone, no matter how qualified they are.

Thought he said when he got hired that he didn't want another job in baseball if he got let go from this position.

It's almost as if the writing is on the wall if this team doesn't perform this season.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
Thought he said when he got hired that he didn't want another job in baseball if he got let go from this position.

It's almost as if the writing is on the wall if this team doesn't perform this season.

I'd be shocked if simply missing the playoffs was enough to get him fired this season. Coming in dead last in baseball might be enough, but other than that, I think it'd take quite an impressive rant for it to happen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
TORONTO — Ozzie Guillen's contract expires after next season and White Sox- Twitter controversy involving his son this spring didn't bolster relations with general manager Ken Williams.

Regardless, Guillen believes he would get another shot to manage if the Sox were to fire him.

"There are a lot of horse(bleep) managers out there that were given two and three shots to manage in the big leagues," Guillen said. "I don't see why not me.''

Guillen reluctantly mentioned Manny Acta, who was fired after 2 1/2 losing seasons with the Nationals but had two offers to manage teams last winter before selecting the Indians.

"Why can't I get another chance with another team?" Guillen said. "Am I going to keep on doing it? Well, I have to see what is going on."

Guillen said he could perform any duty in baseball except GM. He added that his television duties at the 2009 World Series enhanced his opportunities.

"If I get fired, I will tell (Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf) to fire Steve Stone, Farmio (Ed Farmer) or D.J. (Darrin Jackson)," Guillen said. "I want that job."

mark gonzales/trib

What I find annoying is that we're about to play the Indians on the road this weekend...the Indians have been playing like absolute horse manure since they left our park and here we are giving them bulletin board material by picking on their manager who pretty much out-managed Ozzie in Games 2/3 of the season.

Why does Ozzie insist on always talking about getting fired? I find this annoying. Maybe it's ego or something?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
Why does Ozzie insist on always talking about getting fired? I find this annoying. Maybe it's ego or something?

I think Ozzie knows this is one way that he can keep the press focused on him rather than on the team.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 06:01 AM)
I don't think you would see anyone complain (initially) if cooper were to one day become the sox manager.

Not sure I'd be too hot on the idea. And not because I have doubts about Cooper's ability to manage, but simply because he'd no longer be the pitching coach. I'd rather pay him a manager's salary to stay as the pitching coach.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)

mark gonzales/trib

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)

First of all, he's not picking on Acta. He used him as an example of guys that get fired and quickly find work. Second, the topic came up when reporters before the game were talking to Ozzie about Gaston and one of the reporters asked him what he thought would happen to him if he were let go by the Sox. He didn't bring it up, he didn't start the conversation. He just answered a question. He also basically said that he wasn't sure if that next job would be a managerial job, but he thought it would be something.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
I don't think you would see anyone complain (initially) if cooper were to one day become the sox manager. Once the season starts though, it's fair game, and he would get ripped to shreds just like every other coach/manager in sports. It's just how sports work. In the eyes of the average sports fan... there is no good coach/manager. You can go to any forum out there and people are calling for every coach/managers heads... even the best of teams. Red sox fans f***ing hate francona and he was apart of two world series. Whenever i need a good laugh or two i check out sons of sam horn... i recommend it to anyone.

Message board mentality is certainly fascinating.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)

I remember him saying such also.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
Message board mentality is certainly fascinating.

As is the radio.

Ozzie talks. He talked as a player (although at the time, no one understood him)...and he talks as a manager. He's a good manager. We won't know how good until he is long gone from the game. Are there any great current managers? There are arguments for some, but none would be mentioned with the Connie Mack's or the Leo Durocher's of baseball. Seriously, managers are like Presidents...you never know how good they are until they've been gone for years.