Ozzie convinced he'd get another job if fired

caulfield12

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that worked up about a lot of this. This is Ozzie being Ozzie. Let him have his say, let him manage the ballclub, and we'll see how things work out at the end of the year. I do find it more then questionable that he called out Manny Acta. That's not cool, you don't do that to another manager, especially one managing in division.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm not that worked up about a lot of this. This is Ozzie being Ozzie. Let him have his say, let him manage the ballclub, and we'll see how things work out at the end of the year. I do find it more then questionable that he called out Manny Acta. That's not cool, you don't do that to another manager, especially one managing in division.

Even the reporter, who presumably goaded a name out of Ozzie, noted that he brought up Acta's name "reluctantly". He didn't attack Acta, it's pretty clear if you read the whole article, but that will be the spin on it.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Even the reporter, who presumably goaded a name out of Ozzie, noted that he brought up Acta's name "reluctantly". He didn't attack Acta, it's pretty clear if you read the whole article, but that will be the spin on it.

Point is, is that he shouldn't have brought up a name up at all. Ozzie has a job, he's decent at it, he has no reason to give any justification for having that job other then pointing to his World Series Ring, and telling the reporter to shut the hell up. What Ozzie has instead done is create a circumstance that requires Manny Acta to defend himself and deal with an unneeded distraction for another week.

Edit: I just heard the clip, and Ozzie brought up Acta on his own. He wasn't coerced, it wasn't reluctant. He coupled his comments as, "Take Manny Acta, Now i don't wanna say anything bad about Manny Acta, But-" This was just Ozzie running his mouth.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Of course he'd get another job. He's actually not a bad manager, with the exception of the fetish he has for fast guys and with one bad player per season who shouldn't be playing (it appears Omar Vizquel will be that man in 2010). The key with Ozzie is don't give him what he wants in a lineup (outside of a good, fast top of the order if you can acquire it, which isn't easy) because his idea of a lineup isn't going to score a lot of runs.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I've always liked Ozzie.

I know being vocal is who he is and who he has always been.

As a manager he has had his up's and down's and I won't get into the debate on whether he's a good manager or not. You can probably make a case for both sides and you can probably do that for a lot of managers.

But I'm really getting tired of hearing him talk. The firing things bothers me, almost like he is asking for it. Actually most of the stuff he talks about I'm not a fan of. Not entirely his fault though since reporters know they have a shot at getting a good controversial quote from him so they goad him into it.

I just think that just because the organization lets you be who you are, doesn't mean you should talk about every topic under the sun.

Since I work with all Cubs fans I have to vent here I guess.

I would only hire Ozzie if my team is full of sluggers who can't bunt, has a bullpen with more than two quality left handed relief pitchers, and a really good bench.

This way, Ozzie can't ever play his favorite sucky bench players or throw Randy Williams into the fire every time he has a chance to.

I don't have many problems with Ozzie off the field. In fact, I think he does a good job of keeping the team loose and letting the guys be who they are. But when it comes to in-game decisions, yuck.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Can't imagine Gardenhire or Francona or Scioscia even talking about something like this.

dumb.

just manage the team and play the games.

With some of the crap he's pulled this season, just wonder if he would like to get fired.

The reporter asked Ozzie this, not the other way around.

Of course he would immediately get another job. He won the damn World Series.

He feels comfortable in Chicago. He'd shut the f*** up if he was the skipper of the Marlins or somebody.

He's Ozzie in Chicago; like Ditka. He is comfortable here after being with this organization so long and a fixture in the city. There's a big time comfort level with the owner and media.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Of course he'd get another job. He's actually not a bad manager, with the exception of the fetish he has for fast guys and with one bad player per season who shouldn't be playing (it appears Omar Vizquel will be that man in 2010). The key with Ozzie is don't give him what he wants in a lineup (outside of a good, fast top of the order if you can acquire it, which isn't easy) because his idea of a lineup isn't going to score a lot of runs.

Atleast Omar Vizquel is still fantastic defensively. So long as Vizquel doesn't DH, he won't be a bad player, just a bad hitter.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
Of course he would immediately get another job. He won the damn World Series.

He feels comfortable in Chicago. He'd shut the f*** up if he was the skipper of the Marlins or somebody.

He's Ozzie in Chicago; like Ditka. He is comfortable here after being with this organization so long and a fixture in the city. There's a big time comfort level with the owner and media.

I think a lot of guys could have managed that team to a WS.