Sushi in Chicago

Cali

I'm not a big sushi fan myself, but a bunch of my friends are.

I've been told Macku Sushi in the DePaul/Lincoln Park area is really good.

Sunshine Cafe in the Andersonville neighborhood is a good choice, I've also heard good things about Lawrence Fish Market in Albany Park

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
I've been told Macku Sushi in the DePaul/Lincoln Park area is really good.

You sir are absolutely correct.. Macku sushi is definitely my favorite sushi place in Chicago, better than japonaise, sushi samba, coast, all that.. You cant go wrong when you have Chef Macku in the kitchen!! :headbang

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
I'm gonna be in the city next week, seeing if any of you fine classy people have any places to recommend...

There's this REALLY GOOD asian restaurant in Evergreen Park called Chi Tung. They are located near 97th and Kedzie, I believe.

They have a huge menu with different kinds of asian food, they have one section of the menu devoted to Japanese food, another devoted to Thai food, and I'm pretty sure they have sushi as well.

This is the type of place you can take a whole bunch of people to, cause they got something for everyone there.

Also, the restaurant itself looks very nice and classy, it also looks like the type of place where every dish would be about $30 bucks easily, except most dishes were in the $10 range. It's a great place to take a girl on a date. :)

Google it and check it out. Chi Tung. :)

there's a place on belmont and paulina called house of noodles or something that you pay 13 up front for a as many sushi plates as you can eat, but if you get more than you can eat you pay like $5 per piece. I like this place.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
there's a place on belmont and paulina called house of noodles or something that you pay 13 up front for a as many sushi plates as you can eat, but if you get more than you can eat you pay like $5 per piece. I like this place.

i like that place also.. it all depends on wat ur lookin for Cali, chicago is a pretty big city with tons of spots hidden in little nooks in random neighborhoods. Do you want a not so expensive place with tons of quantity and good sushi. Or are you lookin for a place where ull pay 12 bucks a roll and every piece you eat with your lil chopsticks is a masterpiece straight from the sushi Gods?

There area lot of great Sushi places -- but the more time goes on the more weary I am of eating it.

There are only "so many fish in the sea", as they say, and sushi grade fish is not the same as regular grade fish. The problem is, as the worldwide Sushi boom took effect -- and it has -- there are less and less deep sea sushi grade fish out there to catch, so they're moving into the shallower waters and harvesting those as the new sushi grade, only they're not. They're a cheaper grade/dirtier meat that's being passed off as the real deal.

Just like Red Snapper is fake in just about 95% of the restaurants that serve it -- INCLUDING big name/fancy/expensive places. When it comes to fish, you have to be really careful, especially when it's raw.

I think the risk of food borne illness from Sushi is rising, but still nothing I'd really worry about. Yet.

Story: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/379403,...sushi10.article

They took DNA samples from sushi restaurants around Chicago serving "red snapper", only it wasn't. What really stands out is that out of 14 restaurants tested...ZERO were serving the real deal...and they didn't even know it.

From article:

"The newspaper had DNA tests done on sushi described as red snapper or "Japanese red snapper" bought from 14 restaurants in the city and suburbs. Not a single one was really red snapper."

Far be it for me, but if I'm consuming something that's raw, and potentially dangerous -- I want to know what the f*** it is.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Far be it for me, but if I'm consuming something that's raw, and potentially dangerous -- I want to know what the f*** it is.

To be fair...if you're eating a normal, American, processed food diet...how many things you eat do you really know what they are?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
To be fair...if you're eating a normal, American, processed food diet...how many things you eat do you really know what they are?

That's not to be fair at all. In the case something is cooked versus raw, especially meat, I tend to care a lot more. And while you can print lies on a packaging, you can get sued for it. You can't sue a fish retailer who sold fake fish to a sushi restaurant and then fed it to you for 25x the price it should cost, since it's not real. Now take into considering it's raw, and some meat is UNSAFE to consume raw, including some species of fish. These are two very different things.

It's fair to say we will all eventually die, slowly or otherwise from our American diets -- despite the fact we live longer now than ever before. But that aside, eating something like raw fish can kill you, and kill you fast.

While I assume the greens I eat from my local market are indeed whatever they say they are -- it wouldn't be so safe if they were selling nightshade and calling it parsley to a person that doesn't know the difference. One may be loaded with pesticides which can kill you over a span of 80 years...the other will kill you that day.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
There area lot of great Sushi places -- but the more time goes on the more weary I am of eating it.

There are only "so many fish in the sea", as they say, and sushi grade fish is not the same as regular grade fish. The problem is, as the worldwide Sushi boom took effect -- and it has -- there are less and less deep sea sushi grade fish out there to catch, so they're moving into the shallower waters and harvesting those as the new sushi grade, only they're not. They're a cheaper grade/dirtier meat that's being passed off as the real deal.

Just like Red Snapper is fake in just about 95% of the restaurants that serve it -- INCLUDING big name/fancy/expensive places. When it comes to fish, you have to be really careful, especially when it's raw.

I think the risk of food borne illness from Sushi is rising, but still nothing I'd really worry about. Yet.

Story: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/379403,...sushi10.article

They took DNA samples from sushi restaurants around Chicago serving "red snapper", only it wasn't. What really stands out is that out of 14 restaurants tested...ZERO were serving the real deal...and they didn't even know it.

From article:

"The newspaper had DNA tests done on sushi described as red snapper or "Japanese red snapper" bought from 14 restaurants in the city and suburbs. Not a single one was really red snapper."

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
My parents are addicted to Chi Tung, and go there probably weekly when they're in Chicago and not snowbirding down here.

But that's not the calibre of sushi this thread was angling for.

I work in Lincoln Park on Clark street and there are literally two sushi joints on every block they all are good and Chi Tung is right with them. Chi Tung is always packed and for some reason they added a Hitachi Grill the place is good.

Hit Wonderburger again last night you are missing out.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
That Macku Place looks good.

I'm really only looking for some good, but not super-fancy overly priced sushi.

Macku is ur place then bro, its super high quality stuff without the super fancy price tag... Reservations can be made on the same day that ur planning on going. Unless you are willing to take a shot at an open seat at the sushi bar.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
That Macku Place looks good.

I'm really only looking for some good, but not super-fancy overly priced sushi.

my place was a good suggestion then. AND YOU CAN GET YOUR PICTURE ON THE WALL