The 'pen has been spectacular

Jordan4life_2007

Yes, I know. Sample size. Yadda, yadda, yadda. But through 10 games, there hasn't been a better bullpen in baseball.

White Sox bullpen rankings:

ERA: 1st (1.89)

BAA: 1st (.181)

WHIP: 3rd (1.17)

Total SO: 1st (48)

K/9: 1st (12.96)

What's really encouraging to me is that this is a "stuff" bullpen. Meaning the chances of it being top-notch all year are much greater than a smoke and mirrors 'pen. Even in 2005, I kept waiting for Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts and Dustin Hermanson to remember they were, um, Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts and Dustin Hermanson. Fortunately, their luck lasted all year. Other than Randy Williams and Scott Linebrink (the latter has looked real good of late), I feel pretty damn good about whoever Ozzie throws out there. Considering how volatile bullpens are, that's a very good feeling. It's early, but from top to bottom, the White Sox pitching staff is as good as it gets.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
:headbang: And it's amazing to watch Sergio Santos!

totally agree with you. i was very unsure about him going into this season but his stuff is fantastic and i feel pretty confident when they throw him out there.

btw, our bullpen had 12k's against the BJ's today, in 6IP, that's unreal.

This season will all come down to the offense if the bullpen keeps it up.

3 guys who could all close out games.

A rookie who looks like he is going to be a real special arm for the Sox, maybe the future closer.

Pena is looking good and not like a batting practice pitcher this year.

Who knows, Linebrink might be good all year due to his much smaller workload.

Randy Williams is a decent LOOGY, but I'd almost rather carry Torres as the long guy in case one of the Fab Five can't go 6 innings.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 06:07 AM)
Seems as if Tony Pena has finally found his groove in Chicago also, although it is very early obviously.

He was very good at the end of last season though IIRC.

Pena is looking like another guy who is showing that a spring with Cooper can really help, and that all changes can't be realized instantly.

I've been forced to watch the Canadian feed streaming online this series (go America :usa ), and I will say, even during Romero's gem, their analysts were still just talking about our bellpen. Game two of the series they spent 2 innings talking about Thornton, and how they were so impressed with him and hope to never face him again. That really says something about the respect our bullpen is getting when their own announcers are talking about our pitching while Romero is still on the mound throwing a no-hitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
Pena is looking like another guy who is showing that a spring with Cooper can really help, and that all changes can't be realized instantly.

Indeed. I had a good feeling about him going into this season.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
I've been forced to watch the Canadian feed streaming online this series (go America :usa ), and I will say, even during Romero's gem, their analysts were still just talking about our bellpen. Game two of the series they spent 2 innings talking about Thornton, and how they were so impressed with him and hope to never face him again. That really says something about the respect our bullpen is getting when their own announcers are talking about our pitching while Romero is still on the mound throwing a no-hitter.

Yes, but they were also mentioning Romero's K count about 15-20 times, even when their offense was up.