NBA playoffs thread

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
You seem to have convinced yourself that the bulls played like crap, when they were far from that.

No, not really. I don't think I said anywhere they "played like crap".

I said they have a bad roster, as a franchise declared this season matters not (smartly) by ridding themselves of Salmons, and stood no chance, and I was right.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
No, not really. I don't think I said anywhere they "played like crap".

I said they have a bad roster, as a franchise declared this season matters not (smartly) by ridding themselves of Salmons, and stood no chance, and I was right.

Ahh I read your post as played like crap and not are crap. Yes the bulls are crap, but why should that stop me from watching them and hoping they don't mess up this offseason after preparing for it for the last few years.

If LeBron is a douche, then so is Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant and a lot of other great players in other sports. In the case of greatness, it's all about that edge, that motivation that goes along with having as much God given talent and ability to work hard as any other player out there. If the Bulls don't want him chirping, they should do a better job guarding him (although nobody could have guarded him tonight.)

It was a cute little effort from the Bulls tonight, but it was also obvious they would have been better off not in the playoffs. This isn't like last year when the Bulls had a great opportunity to play a defending champion without it's best player and take advantage. Instead, they're playing a really good, healthy team who can always fall back on their all time great player even if the Bulls play well, such as was the case tonight. The Bulls could still win 1 game back here, but this is over in 5 tops.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Which is why scouts love guys like Rose, Durant, Duncan etc.. Guys who are the antithesis of a prima donna.

I've probably said this about 134,970 times now. I hate Kirk Hinrich. Him and his contract being traded alone, makes me happy... in the summer hopefully.

I'm sure the Bulls would love to dump his contract and sign a J.J Redick type of SG for the MLE in the off-season, but who's going to take Kirk's contract?

A lot of teams are going to put their eggs into the FA basket who have the cap room obviously.

The only teams I could possibly see interested are the Lakers (if they let Fisher and Farmar go), maybe Indiana if they did a swap for T.J Ford, and possibly Sacramento. That's about it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
If LeBron is a douche, then so is Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant and a lot of other great players in other sports.

I don't think Jordan or Kobe ever danced around on the court.. in live play. (or even on the bench for that matter) They are both too classy for that sort of thing. (OFF the court.. well that's another story) The only ways they would show you off is dropping 50 in your face. I got no problems with LeBron talking to the Bulls bench, the player(s) who is guarding him, etc.. That's part of the game, the competitiveness. But dancing on the court, taking pics, doin the two step, etc..? ...The f*** is that s***. Guys like Rodman probably fouls him very hard pulling that bulls*** when he drives to the lane, but this is the "new" NBA. It's really sad when a younger star (Durant) shows he's more mature than you are. But I guess it depends on the person. (not to mention going to college, even if it was for a year)

Edited by SoxAce

I wonder if the Cavs get knocked out of the playoffs as well, is he going to shake hands with the opposition this time unlike last year.

Wouldn't put it past him doing the classless thing all over again.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)
How?

Because an outside shot at 2008 esque lottery magic is better than getting crapped on by The King for a little over a week and going home.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:01 AM)
I don't think Jordan or Kobe ever danced around on the court.. in live play. (or even on the bench for that matter) They are both too classy for that sort of thing. (OFF the court.. well that's another story) The only ways they would show you off is dropping 50 in your face. I got no problems with LeBron talking to the Bulls bench, the player(s) who is guarding him, etc.. That's part of the game, the competitiveness. But dancing on the court, taking pics, doin the two step, etc..? ...The f*** is that s***. Guys like Rodman probably fouls him very hard pulling that bulls*** when he drives to the lane, but this is the "new" NBA. It's really sad when a younger star (Durant) shows he's more mature than you are. But I guess it depends on the person. (not to mention going to college, even if it was for a year)

Fair enough. The only point of contention I have with this is that the Rodman style hard fouling tactics would be iffy in terms of potential success on LeBron since he's so big.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Am I the only one that thinks that the Cleveland crowd has been rather lame? You have arguably the greatest player in the NBA at this time, why dont you act like it? There were times during the Michael Jordan/Ewing/Bird/Magic years that you could barely hear the announcers during the game because the Chicago/New York/Boston/LA crowds were so loud.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:59 AM)
I'm sure the Bulls would love to dump his contract and sign a J.J Redick type of SG for the MLE in the off-season, but who's going to take Kirk's contract?

A lot of teams are going to put their eggs into the FA basket who have the cap room obviously.

The only teams I could possibly see interested are the Lakers (if they let Fisher and Farmar go), maybe Indiana if they did a swap for T.J Ford, and possibly Sacramento. That's about it.

I've gotten the impression repeatedly over the past few years that there have been teams who would be willing to take on Hinrich's contract for nothing/expiring deals, but the Bulls genuinely still like him and aren't going to move him unless they get something of value in return.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks that the Cleveland crowd has been rather lame? You have arguably the greatest player in the NBA at this time, why dont you act like it? There were times during the Michael Jordan/Ewing/Bird/Magic years that you could barely hear the announcers during the game because the Chicago/New York/Boston/LA crowds were so loud.

I think this goes for the entire league. Maybe it's because tickets have become so expensive that the more hardcore fans cant afford to get low level playoff tickets.

I remember going to Magic games back in the Shaq and Penny days and the atmosphere would be insane for games in December. I have friends who go to Florida Gator football games (trust me, its loud at those games) and they say the loudest noise they've ever experienced was when Nick Anderson stole the ball from Jordan back in the 1995 playoffs. Just seems like these days fans at basketball games dont know how to get loud. I blame the thundersticks.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
I think this goes for the entire league. Maybe it's because tickets have become so expensive that the more hardcore fans cant afford to get low level playoff tickets.

I remember going to Magic games back in the Shaq and Penny days and the atmosphere would be insane for games in December. I have friends who go to Florida Gator football games (trust me, its loud at those games) and they say the loudest noise they've ever experienced was when Nick Anderson stole the ball from Jordan back in the 1995 playoffs. Just seems like these days fans at basketball games dont know how to get loud. I blame the thundersticks.

I agree with that. A few crowds are still pretty good, though. Jazz fans still seem to get as into as they always have, Warriors fans helped them beat Nowitzki & co. a few years ago, Simmons always mentions the Blazers crowds this year. But for the most part, yeah, NBA crowds definitely have lost some edge and have no idea when/why to cheer.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)

Today you can blame kraft macaroni and cheese, lol

Maybe it is the constant music/sound effects in the background, maybe it is the better production quality of the networks being able to lower the volume of the crowd in favor of the sounds on the court and announcers, but I really thought the only time the Cavs fans could be heard was for a minute or so after Lebron posterized JJ and when Moon hit the three at the end. Really disappointing

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)
Because an outside shot at 2008 esque lottery magic is better than getting crapped on by The King for a little over a week and going home.

THe Bulls have a pick swap with the Bucks. So, unless they defied the odds and some how get into the lottery, that pick was going to go the the Bucks. So, instead of giving them the 11th pick, which they'd likely have gotten had they missed the playoffs, they instead gave the Bucks the 15th pick in exchange for the 17th. By making the playoffs we've given James Johnson and Taj Gibson some runs in the big show, and given the core kids a chance to shock the world. I don't think we should be complaining about losing to the best.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
THe Bulls have a pick swap with the Bucks. So, unless they defied the odds and some how get into the lottery, that pick was going to go the the Bucks. So, instead of giving them the 11th pick, which they'd likely have gotten had they missed the playoffs, they instead gave the Bucks the 15th pick in exchange for the 17th. By making the playoffs we've given James Johnson and Taj Gibson some runs in the big show, and given the core kids a chance to shock the world. I don't think we should be complaining about losing to the best.

Well yeah, that's what I had in mind....the miracle being they maybe move into the top 10, as it has happened recently against the odds. I don't think James Johnson getting dunked on by LeBron a few times and seeing Taj Gibson put up his typical workmanlike effort 4 or 5 times in a playoff atmosphere before going home is worth losing that chance.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
Well yeah, that's what I had in mind....the miracle being they maybe move into the top 10, as it has happened recently against the odds. I don't think James Johnson getting dunked on by LeBron a few times and seeing Taj Gibson put up his typical workmanlike effort 4 or 5 times in a playoff atmosphere before going home is worth losing that chance.

The math is not in the Bulls favor. I don't think the front office likes to wager on miracles. And besides there's still a decent chance that the Bulls come out of the draft with a guy like Xavier Henry. All they've done is given themselves a national stage on which to impress the likes of Chris Bosh.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
I've gotten the impression repeatedly over the past few years that there have been teams who would be willing to take on Hinrich's contract for nothing/expiring deals, but the Bulls genuinely still like him and aren't going to move him unless they get something of value in return.

May have been the case then, not sure it will be the same right now because of the factors I've mentioned.

One team such as Minnesota who had interest in him in the past now has Sessions, Rubio and Flynn as PG's for example.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
May have been the case then, not sure it will be the same right now because of the factors I've mentioned.

One team such as Minnesota who had interest in him in the past now has Sessions, Rubio and Flynn as PG's for example.

Every year it's a different team rumored to be interested. Portland was on the list for a year or two and then went for Miller instead. The Lakers, the Heat have been loci of rumors in recent years. The Bulls just don't want to turn him into cap space alone.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)

It sure worked for Joakim and Rose last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
He's right there. But for my money, give me Steve Nash. He's a marvel to watch.

They are both great, and so is Chris Paul. To me, it's to hard to pick one over the other two, so I would have a top 3 of D-Will, Nash and Paul. Rose is close to those guys level though, but I don't consider him a true point guard like them, he is more like a Dwyane Wade. Rose won't ever be a 20/10 guy IMO, but rather a 26-28/8 guy just like Wade. And really that is equal production.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 07:08 AM)
D-Will = best point guard in the league

I would usually say give me Chris Paul 9/10 times. But since he was injured last year, and the continued progression from D-Will he is right there, if not the best. Paul, Nash, Kidd (dude is still killin it at the age of 36) and Rondo are close as well.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
Rose is close to those guys level though, but I don't consider him a true point guard like them, he is more like a Dwyane Wade. Rose won't ever be a 20/10 guy IMO, but rather a 26-28/8 guy just like Wade. And really that is equal production.

I'll reserve judgment on Rose until he gets another all-star next year as he plays with noone of all-star level. All the PGs people named have had an all-star to help them. (Boozer, West, Amar'e, Garnett, Pierce, Dirk) Even a young guy like Westbrook has Durant which can only help his development. Rose does not have that luxury yet. Give him a Bosh/Wade/Amar'e and say some 3 point snipers (guys like Morrow, Reddick, Allen etc.. would be ideal) since his game is mostly drive and kick and we'll have a better grasp if his potential is 7-8 assist or 9-10 (which I see him as personally)

Edited by SoxAce