NBA playoffs thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheeks has grown on me as well in the last week or so after seeing his credential. I'be become a fan of Calipari as well. My top 5 would probably be Cheeks, Calipari, Thibodeau, Mitchell, Collins/Scott.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 5, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
I'm a huge Calipari fan. He's a bit of a slime ball but he runs a pro-style offense (Driibble drive is very similiar to the Dantoni Suns offense), is like a father to D-Rose, and has connections with all the boat load free agents.

How on earth is Cal's offense anything like the Suns offense? The Suns run an incredibly high number of pick and rolls and have stressed the importance of driving to then kick it out for open 3's. I haven't seen any of that be an emphasis in Cal's offense. Bottom line is I want nothing to do with Calipari unless he guarantees the Bulls LeBron.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
How on earth is Cal's offense anything like the Suns offense? The Suns run an incredibly high number of pick and rolls and have stressed the importance of driving to then kick it out for open 3's. I haven't seen any of that be an emphasis in Cal's offense. Bottom line is I want nothing to do with Calipari unless he guarantees the Bulls LeBron.

The dribble drive spaces out four members of the offense, allowing the point guard to either drive or dish out to the perimeter. It requires a dynamic guard like Rose, Wall, Evans or Steve Nash to break the defense inwards and allow the ball to be cleared out. They’re not identical strageies, but they are similar. Mostly both are about attacking the basket constantly. It’s an up-tempo style that’s eek to maximize offensive efficiently.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 5, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
The dribble drive spaces out four members of the offense, allowing the point guard to either drive or dish out to the perimeter. It requires a dynamic guard like Rose, Wall, Evans or Steve Nash to break the defense inwards and allow the ball to be cleared out. They’re not identical strageies, but they are similar. Mostly both are about attacking the basket constantly. It’s an up-tempo style that’s eek to maximize offensive efficiently.

Spacing the floor and having a dynamic guard attack the basket doesn't make an offensive system similar. Almost all offenses do that when they have a playmaker like the ones you listed. Hell, the Cavs space the floor with Jamison, Williams, and Parker and then have LeBron attack. Is that offense similar to D'Antoni's? Also, Calipari's teams have never played that fast of pace. They play faster than the majority of college basketball teams but they don't play appreciably faster than the average college team and are well behind teams such as Carolina that really play up tempo basketball.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Spacing the floor and having a dynamic guard attack the basket doesn't make an offensive system similar. Almost all offenses do that when they have a playmaker like the ones you listed. Hell, the Cavs space the floor with Jamison, Williams, and Parker and then have LeBron attack. Is that offense similar to D'Antoni's? Also, Calipari's teams have never played that fast of pace. They play faster than the majority of college basketball teams but they don't play appreciably faster than the average college team and are well behind teams such as Carolina that really play up tempo basketball.

Never said it's the same, but it's similiar. It's closer to Princeton then it is D'Antoni, but it has a lot of the same elements and pace. Ultimatley, most offensive basketball strategies do.

"Memphis' coach talks Suns

Is Memphis' up-tempo offense similar to what the Suns run? Tigers coach John Calipari was asked that during Sunday's media session for the NCAA championship game in San Antonio. Here's his answer:

"If I had Steve Nash, we'd be playing like the Phoenix Suns.

"The offense is geared to all four perimeter guys being able to start the offense, and some of it is scripted. That's why I say it's like Princeton on steroids. It's just faster. . . . We pitch, we drive, boom, we stop in a certain area - that means he's going to the basket. I know Princeton does it with a spin. We just do it different, but it's the same."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/a...406ncaaadv.html

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 5, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
Never said it's the same, but it's similiar. It's closer to Princeton then it is D'Antoni, but it has a lot of the same elements and pace. Ultimatley, most offensive basketball strategies do.

"Memphis' coach talks Suns

Is Memphis' up-tempo offense similar to what the Suns run? Tigers coach John Calipari was asked that during Sunday's media session for the NCAA championship game in San Antonio. Here's his answer:

"If I had Steve Nash, we'd be playing like the Phoenix Suns.

"The offense is geared to all four perimeter guys being able to start the offense, and some of it is scripted. That's why I say it's like Princeton on steroids. It's just faster. . . . We pitch, we drive, boom, we stop in a certain area - that means he's going to the basket. I know Princeton does it with a spin. We just do it different, but it's the same."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/a...406ncaaadv.html

But it isn't similar in pace. Calipari's teams have consistently been slightly above average in terms of possessions per game whereas the Suns have consistently played at one of the highest possessions per game in the NBA. And nothing Calipari says in that entire answer makes any sense. The Princeton offense is based on spacing, back door cuts, and using passing to get open shots. Calipari's system is based on the dribble drive and guys attacking one on one.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)

The question I care about is...what happens in his offense if you have both a play-making point guard and 2 guys who need to play down low (i.e. Bosh and Noah) or if you have 2 guys who are dynamic in attacking the basket (i.e. Rose/Wade or Rose/James).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
The question I care about is...what happens in his offense if you have both a play-making point guard and 2 guys who need to play down low (i.e. Bosh and Noah) or if you have 2 guys who are dynamic in attacking the basket (i.e. Rose/Wade or Rose/James).

That's where having a big with a jumpshot comes in handy. Ideally, you leave Noah around the rim, and you have Bosh cleared out a bit. The good news about both of those guys is that they're good enough handling the ball that they can drive.

Yeah, the dribble drive offense is nothing like Phoenix's offensively actually. I don't know where Cal got that. It's more like Boston's. In fact, Boston runs a tangent of it IIRC. Basically, you don't need an awesome PG, you just need guys quicker than the defense who can get into the lane. The way it works is, Derrick has the ball, everyone basically clears out and he drives, once he gets right outside the lane, he has to make a decision. If he has his man beat, and no help is coming over, he goes to the basket. If the help comes, he dumps it off to the guy the defender was supposed to be guarding for an easy bucket. If everyone stays at home and Rose is unable to get into the lane, he can either spot up for the jumper if he likes it, or pass and they proceed to do the same. It works for big men that have speed(good for Noah and Tyrus, maybe for Taj; bad for Deng).

That's the reason why there aren't high assist numbers in the offense. You are basically going one on one and passing it out if you are unable to make it past your defender and then they go one on one. Boston has a great setup for it though. They have a deadly shooter who will keep the other guard from cheating down, they have a PF who can beat most PF's nightly, they have a PG who's blazing fast, and they have another guy who can kind of do it all in Pierce. The only player who really doesn't fit that system is Perkins, but he's one of their defensive enforcers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)

Bosh really doesn't play downlow. He's a faceup guy who prefers the high post, but he knows how to drive.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
That's where having a big with a jumpshot comes in handy. Ideally, you leave Noah around the rim, and you have Bosh cleared out a bit. The good news about both of those guys is that they're good enough handling the ball that they can drive.

Bingo.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 8, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
goran dragic

I remember how much of a whipping boy he was when he first came over to Phoenix, and credit to him, he's really developed, and PHX actually have a viable PG when Nash eventually retires.