NBA playoffs thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
Also, to me if the Bulls are put in the dream situation where they have their pick of Lebron or Wade it's Lebron everyday and twice on Sunday, he's the best player in the NBA

BTW, I should re-state this. The right move for the Bulls is not to prioritize. The right move for the Bulls is to call up the agent of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh the second you're allowed to make an offer and offer a max deal to each one of them.

Start the recruiting process after that. But if Chris Bosh is ready to sign with you 10 seconds into the FA period, and Lebron wants to take 4 weeks to make his decision...you sign Bosh and you walk away 100% content. Ditto Wade. You do not wait and risk walking away with nothing.

Interestingly enough: The Bulls have been gearing for this year... or any year with big free agents... for a long time. The thought of bringing Lebron to the Bulls was mouth watering. Then Rose dropped into their laps. And without Rose, I dont think Chicago is in Lebron's top 5.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
BTW, I should re-state this. The right move for the Bulls is not to prioritize. The right move for the Bulls is to call up the agent of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh the second you're allowed to make an offer and offer a max deal to each one of them.

Start the recruiting process after that. But if Chris Bosh is ready to sign with you 10 seconds into the FA period, and Lebron wants to take 4 weeks to make his decision...you sign Bosh and you walk away 100% content. Ditto Wade. You do not wait and risk walking away with nothing.

I'd hate to pass on Lebron, but you are right.

I would add this: Do more than offer max deals, have $$$ quotes from companies willing to endorse them of they come to Chicago.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 12, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Interestingly enough: The Bulls have been gearing for this year... or any year with big free agents... for a long time. The thought of bringing Lebron to the Bulls was mouth watering. Then Rose dropped into their laps. And without Rose, I dont think Chicago is in Lebron's top 5.

They may have looked longingly towards 2010, but the moves that made them under the cap this year really started after they had Rose, when they moved Nocioni's contract for Miller and then let Gordon walk for nothing.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 12, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
I'd hate to pass on Lebron, but you are right.

I would add this: Do more than offer max deals, have $$$ quotes from companies willing to endorse them of they come to Chicago.

Hell, do everything you can legally do if courtship is required...but I don't care if Wade or Bosh is 3rd on your list of ideals, if they're willing to sign first, you sign that MF that instant.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
They may have looked longingly towards 2010, but the moves that made them under the cap this year really started after they had Rose, when they moved Nocioni's contract for Miller and then let Gordon walk for nothing.

oh obviously. but there is only so much you can do for 3 years from now. You make the moves when you can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)

Forget that. All of the players on the team should be calling these guys today. With the way that the NBA is set up today, the players are the ones who run the league. If Taj is LeBron's buddy, he should be on the phone non-stop trying to convince him to come here. Guys like Rose and Noah should be recruiting their asses off as well. They should realize that their futures are on the line as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Forget that. All of the players on the team should be calling these guys today. With the way that the NBA is set up today, the players are the ones who run the league. If Taj is LeBron's buddy, he should be on the phone non-stop trying to convince him to come here. Guys like Rose and Noah should be recruiting their asses off as well. They should realize that their futures are on the line as well.

I'm not sure whether Noah was doing an awesome recruiting job or a horrendous recruiting job while we were in Cleveland. It was one of the two.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
If the Bulls did a sign and trade for Bosh, would they still have cap room to make a max offer to LeBron?

It depends on the salary differences. If they can trade away the same amount of salary that they sign Bosh to, they would be OK. Because the Bulls are under the cap, they don't necessarily have to do that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
If the Bulls did a sign and trade for Bosh, would they still have cap room to make a max offer to LeBron?

Depends on what they gave up in the sign and trade and where the cap actually winds up sitting.

If it's a $56 million cap and they were able to move Deng, then yes. They could also possibly pull it off at this level by moving Hinrich or Hinrich + Johnson.

If it's a $52 million cap, then if they moved Deng, Gibson, and Johnson, probably yes.

If it's a $50 million cap, then no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
Depends on what they gave up in the sign and trade and where the cap actually winds up sitting.

If it's a $56 million cap and they were able to move Deng, then yes. They could also possibly pull it off at this level by moving Hinrich or Hinrich + Johnson.

If it's a $52 million cap, then if they moved Deng, Gibson, and Johnson, probably yes.

If it's a $50 million cap, then no.

If the Bulls do a sign and trade, they will almost for sure do the sign and trade after having signed one player to a max contract.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
If the Bulls do a sign and trade, they will almost for sure do the sign and trade after having signed one player to a max contract.

The math doesn't change. If the cap is at around $56, then the Bulls can sign a guy to a max deal and be sitting at around $49 million or so, leaving them $6-7 million or that they could take on in a sign and trade deal. If the cap is lower, then they have less free space, and they have to match a higher percentage of the contract in the sign and trade. If the cap is at $50 million, then the Bulls either have to match the full contract (i.e. they have to package Rose and Deng) or they have to sign one of the guys they currently have (i.e. Warrick) to a $5 million deal and include him in the trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
The math doesn't change. If the cap is at around $56, then the Bulls can sign a guy to a max deal and be sitting at around $49 million or so, leaving them $6-7 million or that they could take on in a sign and trade deal. If the cap is lower, then they have less free space, and they have to match a higher percentage of the contract in the sign and trade. If the cap is at $50 million, then the Bulls either have to match the full contract (i.e. they have to package Rose and Deng) or they have to sign one of the guys they currently have (i.e. Warrick) to a $5 million deal and include him in the trade.

The key is, who the Bulls feel they should trade is going to be heavily based upon who the first target is. The only team that appears to be potentially open to a sign and trade are Phoenix & Toronto (Amare & Bosh). And I think the Bulls #1 target is LBJ so you wouldn't want to trade someone Lebron feels would be a good fit.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
The key is, who the Bulls feel they should trade is going to be heavily based upon who the first target is. The only team that appears to be potentially open to a sign and trade are Phoenix & Toronto (Amare & Bosh). And I think the Bulls #1 target is LBJ so you wouldn't want to trade someone Lebron feels would be a good fit.

If Lebron really wants to play with Deng...then he can sign here and then tell the ownership he doesn't want to have Deng traded. Deng is literally the only guy that really matters in that talk. Hinrich is a remote, remote possibility if the cap is high enough, but really, it's 95% got to be Deng.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)

How sick would the Bulls be if they got Lebron and one of Bosh/Amare. That could very well be the start of a new dynasty, with the chance of being better than our last one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
If Lebron really wants to play with Deng...then he can sign here and then tell the ownership he doesn't want to have Deng traded. Deng is literally the only guy that really matters in that talk. Hinrich is a remote, remote possibility if the cap is high enough, but really, it's 95% got to be Deng.

It sounds like it might be Hinrich though. And it is quite possible that if we got LBJ, the 2nd signing would not necessarily be a max guy. It could be Bosh taking a small discount, it could be the Bulls putting together a trade for Jefferson, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
It sounds like it might be Hinrich though. And it is quite possible that if we got LBJ, the 2nd signing would not necessarily be a max guy. It could be Bosh taking a small discount, it could be the Bulls putting together a trade for Jefferson, etc.

If Bosh and Lebron want to make a deal to play together, they can do so in NY without either having to lose money.