NBA playoffs thread

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ May 13, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
While I do believe he's probably the best player in the NBA, it is not "by a wide margin" when you consider some other comparable star players.

Kevin Durant?

Kobe Bryant?

Carmelo Anthony?

You think he is better than those guys by a wide margin?

Yes. He can score better than them and on top of it he's the best PG in the entire league. The guy is the best at every position on the floor except center and even than I think he could do it. The guy is ridiculous.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
if it was a one time instance, then yeah, whoopdedoo. but it isnt. Like I said, I want Lebron, but he earned his rep as a showboater

He can also do things no other player in the league can do. MJ had his tongue thing and did other stuff. Did he showboat as much as LBJ, hell no, but it was a different era and back than you'd lose your teeth if you showboated like that. Now a days it just happens.

If Chicago fans can learn to love Dennis Rodman and A.J. Pierzynski and ignore the fact that they tend to be pricks during games, they sure as heck can learn to do the same with LeBron James. All of this talk about such issues would be gone and never heard again the day LeBron signs here if it somehow happens.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
If Chicago fans can learn to love Dennis Rodman and A.J. Pierzynski and ignore the fact that they tend to be pricks during games, they sure as heck can learn to do the same with LeBron James. All of this talk about such issues would be gone and never heard again the day LeBron signs here if it somehow happens.

absolutely, I said this a few days ago. All is forgotten when you put on the jersey

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
As long as you win.

And in the playoffs.

Can you imagine seeing Noah Lebron and Rose streaking down the court on a fastbreak? I dont know who could stop them

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
While I do believe he's probably the best player in the NBA, it is not "by a wide margin" when you consider some other comparable star players.

Kevin Durant?

Kobe Bryant?

Carmelo Anthony?

You think he is better than those guys by a wide margin?

Over Durant? Yes. Durant's a great scorer, but he needs to develop the rest of his game. Carmelo is my favorite player in the league & IMO the best pure scorer in the league but yeah Lebron's better all-around.

Kobe's a great player. But I believe Lebron is better.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 13, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Over Durant? Yes. Durant's a great scorer, but he needs to develop the rest of his game. Carmelo is my favorite player in the league & IMO the best pure scorer in the league but yeah Lebron's better all-around.

Kobe's a great player. But I believe Lebron is better.

Did you watch Durant this year? He has turned himself into a very good defender and did as good of a job on Kobe as anyone has in a while.

If I had to rank players at this point...

1. Lebron

2a. Durant

2b. Kobe

2c. Wade

5. Howard

6. Paul

Carmelo is a great offensive player, but he has to buy into defense like his peers have. I think Rose has a chance to enter the top 5 in the next two years if he keeps improving as a player. If he gets an elite SG next season he will be a leading candidate for the MVP race automatically.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 13, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
Did you watch Durant this year? He has turned himself into a very good defender and did as good of a job on Kobe as anyone has in a while.

If I had to rank players at this point...

1. Lebron

2a. Durant

2b. Kobe

2c. Wade

5. Howard

6. Paul

Carmelo is a great offensive player, but he has to buy into defense like his peers have. I think Rose has a chance to enter the top 5 in the next two years if he keeps improving as a player. If he gets an elite SG next season he will be a leading candidate for the MVP race automatically.

My rankings

1. Lebron

2. Durant

3. Paul

4. Wade

4b. Kobe

5. Howard (too many ways to limit his effectiveness)

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Ehh, I figured you were basing your entire argument on that one instance. Whoopdeedoo. He's no different than the other 95% of the leagues young guys that do the exact same things except aren't half the player he is

You will never see Kevin Durant doing that or a young Kobe. Hell, even Carmelo got alot better in maturity over the years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
CP3 still up there?

Shocked myself though he is on my list as well, though many would say Deron passed him up this season especially since CP3 was injured.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
CP3 still up there?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given how injured he was this year. It's easy to forget how much of a stud someone is based on two games (see the idiotic Lebron stuff going on right now), let alone over the course of an injury-riddled season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given how injured he was this year. It's easy to forget how much of a stud someone is based on two games (see the idiotic Lebron stuff going on right now), let alone over the course of an injury-riddled season.

Well, I also would include "likelihood of missing an entire season due to injury" in my thinking in those rankings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Well, I also would include "likelihood of missing an entire season due to injury" in my thinking in those rankings.

So Wade would have to be at the bottom of your list. But how would you go about calculating your list? Chris Paul averaged 75 games a season coming into this season, and still played over half his teams games this season while dealing with his torn middle finger. Athletes like Lebron, Wade, Howard, Kobe etc would seem to be more likely to blow something out.

Chris Bosh is the only guy I have heard rumored to have a degenerative condition, but who knows if that's a NBA GM inspired rumor or not.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
So Wade would have to be at the bottom of your list. But how would you go about calculating your list? Chris Paul averaged 75 games a season coming into this season, and still played over half his teams games this season while dealing with his torn middle finger. Athletes like Lebron, Wade, Howard, Kobe etc would seem to be more likely to blow something out.

Chris Bosh is the only guy I have heard rumored to have a degenerative condition, but who knows if that's a NBA GM inspired rumor or not.

Yeah, I'd say that Wade's style of play is worrisome and you have to knock him down a bit if you expect him to start missing 10 games a season in the near future, solely because he hits the floor hard so often.

I don't think I'd hold it against someone that they're an athlete. Aside from Livingston, can you give me a few examples of injuries that happened because of an overly athletic style of play?

Kobe starts dropping down now not just because of his production but because he's starting to miss more games or not be 100% for more games.

Guys that have virtually zero injury history as of now though, I'd say you bump them up a few points based on that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
My rankings

1. Lebron

2. Durant

3. Paul

4. Wade

4b. Kobe

5. Howard (too many ways to limit his effectiveness)

Well, you have number 1 right at least, so I guess that's a start. You can't come into a thread, call it "full of FAIL", and then put together a top 5 list like this though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Well, you have number 1 right at least, so I guess that's a start. You can't come into a thread, call it "full of FAIL", and then put together a top 5 list like this though.

Yeah, you're right, my accurate posts included with all these FAIL posts doesn't seem to fit.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Yeah, you're right, my accurate posts included with all these FAIL posts doesn't seem to fit.

Kevin Durant is the 2nd best player in the league? Chris Paul is better than Kobe Bryant? Dwyane Wade is as good as Kobe Bryant? Where is Carmelo Anthony? And Dwight Howard making 60 percent of his free throws doesn't change how good he is.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Kevin Durant is the 2nd best player in the league? Chris Paul is better than Kobe Bryant? Dwyane Wade is as good as Kobe Bryant? Where is Carmelo Anthony? And Dwight Howard making 60 percent of his free throws doesn't change how good he is.

Other than Lebron being #1, there really is no consensus 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ect best player. Kobe most definitely wasn't better than Durant THIS year. But obviously Kobe >>> Durant overall. I agree about Paul. He was a top 3 player in 2008. He's kinda slipped since then.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Kobe most definitely wasn't better than Durant THIS year. But obviously Kobe >>> Durant overall.

Aren't we talking for like next season? If Durant was already better than Kobe this year, why would that change next year when Durant is 22 (think about that) and Kobe is 32? (with 14 NBA seasons under his belt, including tons of postseason games)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Aren't we talking for like next season?

For all we know, next season Rajon Rondo might be the best PG in the NBA (if he improves his shooting in the summer like he's doing out of nowhere in the playoffs now), so you really can't predict what could be.

Edited by SoxAce

I always want to say Deron Williams deserves more credit than he gets as a player, but I worry i'm just being biased since he went to Illinois. I also think Carmelo Anthony deserves more credit than he gets too. You can't hold his defense against him, and ignore the defense of Kevin Durant (although Durant could still improve on defense, and he did show some things against the Lakers, whereas I doubt Carmelo does.) Rajon Rondo is a guy that deserves more love now too IMO, as much as I hate Rondo and the old guys in Boston are playing well right now, Rondo is awesome.

Edited by whitesoxfan101