NBA playoffs thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Chad Ford;

In the space of five minutes I heard from three NBA GMs via text, e-mail and phone. All three said that based on the information they have, they believe LeBron will leave the Cavs.

More surprisingly, all of them said they believe the destination will be the Chicago Bulls. Two said they believe that John Calipari will be the Bulls' new head coach.

One GM went a bit further in a phone call a few minutes later. "I think the Bulls are really going to go for it. Look for them to offer the Cavs Luol Deng in a sign-and-trade for LeBron. That will allow them to retain most of their cap space. Then they'll go after Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh as well."

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:33 AM)
I mean from the Bulls standpoint, to me it all depends on whether they could pull a sign and trade to get a 2nd star like Bosh to come in with Lebron.

Because the Knicks can do that, and to me, that's gotta be their whole selling point to Lebron, pick which star you want to come and play alongside you. That and Lebron and D'Antoni have a got a pretty good relationship (although D'Antoni's stock is probably at an all time low now especially considering what Alvin Gentry has done in Phoenix).

But if neither team can sign a 2nd max player, I think at least the Bulls have the advantage over the Knicks definitely when it comes to talent on the roster.

Cleveland pretty much put everything towards winning a championship this season but going after veteran players they thought could put them over the top. Now it's backfired in a huge way.

If you wer LeBron, would you rather play with Bosh or Rose? I think its a fair question that could be tough to answer. Noah may be the key. His improvement may help the Bulls in ways never even imagined.

I do know this, if LeBron was cloned and played for both the Cavs and Bulls this year, the Cavs would have been knocked out in the first round, and I don't think Boston would have had much of a chance either. If the Bulls get LeBron, I think they dominate the East for at least 5 seasons. Some teams like Orlando will be great, but not great enough.

Some commentary on last night.

You wanna really know the reason Mike Brown is going to be fired? Not because of his performance last night, this series, etc. He's going to lose his job because he, along with everyone else in Cleveland, have coddled James too much.

Yeah, he's the best player in the league. But he's also no where near as good as he could be. He's sloppy at times, over-reliant on his athleticism, and has shown no interest in developing a down-low post game, where he ought to be just as dominant as he is outside with that 270 lb frame combined with his quickness.

He ought to be able to get 2 quick fouls on Pierce driving into the lane where he's too fast for Pierce, then go down low and pick up 2 more quick fouls shooting over Garnett in a game like that.

He really hasn't had anyone pushing him to be the best in Cleveland. They've spent all their time trying to make him happy that they haven't been willing to piss him off to make him better.

He also really needs a second option who can generate their own shot. Those 9 turnovers come from everyone knowing that he's starting off with the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
Some commentary on last night.

You wanna really know the reason Mike Brown is going to be fired? Not because of his performance last night, this series, etc. He's going to lose his job because he, along with everyone else in Cleveland, have coddled James too much.

Yeah, he's the best player in the league. But he's also no where near as good as he could be. He's sloppy at times, over-reliant on his athleticism, and has shown no interest in developing a down-low post game, where he ought to be just as dominant as he is outside with that 270 lb frame combined with his quickness.

He ought to be able to get 2 quick fouls on Pierce driving into the lane where he's too fast for Pierce, then go down low and pick up 2 more quick fouls shooting over Garnett in a game like that.

He really hasn't had anyone pushing him to be the best in Cleveland. They've spent all their time trying to make him happy that they haven't been willing to piss him off to make him better.

He also really needs a second option who can generate their own shot. Those 9 turnovers come from everyone knowing that he's starting off with the ball.

It be interesting to pair James with a guy like either Phil Jackson who can work the mental side, or a guy like Skiles who would pound the discipline side.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
If you wer LeBron, would you rather play with Bosh or Rose? I think its a fair question that could be tough to answer. Noah may be the key. His improvement may help the Bulls in ways never even imagined.

I do know this, if LeBron was cloned and played for both the Cavs and Bulls this year, the Cavs would have been knocked out in the first round, and I don't think Boston would have had much of a chance either. If the Bulls get LeBron, I think they dominate the East for at least 5 seasons. Some teams like Orlando will be great, but not great enough.

Rose, and I say that because he's younger than Bosh, and Lebron needs to play with a PG who can create his own shot to take pressure off him (which is why Danny Ferry brought in Mo Williams a few seasons ago).

I still think even if the Bulls get Lebron that the Magic will be very competitive against them. SVG would probably out-coach a guy like Calipari easily, and they've got the inside - outside game that when it is working (like it is now) is just very hard to stop defensively.

A lot depends also if they decide to maybe trade in VC's ending deal for an upgrade at the SG spot also possibly at the trade deadline next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
He's going to lose his job because he, along with everyone else in Cleveland, have coddled James too much.

Probably because the franchise has been walking on egg-shells ever since Lebron came in.

You find any little way to piss him off (by pushing him too much) and he can just move on when his contract was up (which he'll probably do now anyways).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
Probably because the franchise has been walking on egg-shells ever since Lebron came in.

You find any little way to piss him off (by pushing him too much) and he can just move on when his contract was up (which he'll probably do now anyways).

Then you should have set your goal with him on winning a championship, not on doing things to make him happy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
Then you should have set your goal with him on winning a championship, not on doing things to make him happy.

Well they wanted to keep him for the rest of his career by making him happy I guess, and they probably would have thought this time last time last season after sweeping Atlanta and I can't remember who else, that the strategy was working perfectly.

Watching him over the last few games compared to what he did against us last season, there's no way Lebron was either 100% healthy or giving 100 % effort. I think it's probably the latter.

We're all concerned about Lebron here, but did we just see Big Diesel's last game? I'd think some team would pay the guy like 6 mill next year to be a big off the bench, but what if he's had it?

Hellofa dominant player in his heyday.

I thought he was still pretty decent in this series, but for him to play for another season, it's got to be the right situation for him (to win a championship).

If Lebron stats in Cleveland, I could see him staying there for 1 more season.

Dallas would be a possible option also, especially with Dampier's non - guaranteed deal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
We're all concerned about Lebron here, but did we just see Big Diesel's last game? I'd think some team would pay the guy like 6 mill next year to be a big off the bench, but what if he's had it?

Hellofa dominant player in his heyday.

In todays pick and roll NBA, he is worthless. He has no footwork left. I hope he hangs it up and protects his legacy, because he was the most amazing true big man I have ever seen.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 14, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
If Lebron stats in Cleveland, I could see him staying there for 1 more season.

Dallas would be a possible option also, especially with Dampier's non - guaranteed deal.

From a business perspective, not locking yourself in with a long term deal right now is insane, because of the high probability of a lockout and the high probability that the Owners will break the players, again.

It's fairly likely that player's contracts and players share of the pie will decrease significantly next year after a lockout. Lebron would be a fool to play for a 1 year deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
From a business perspective, not locking yourself in with a long term deal right now is insane, because of the high probability of a lockout and the high probability that the Owners will break the players, again.

It's fairly likely that player's contracts and players share of the pie will decrease significantly next year after a lockout. Lebron would be a fool to play for a 1 year deal.

No I was talkin bout Shaq settlin for a 1 year deal to stay in Cleveland if Lebron re-signed there.

No way is Lebron going to only sign for 1 year obviously.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2010 -> 06:43 AM)
I was reading some blogs to get everyone's opinion when I saw a few people talking about how Mo Williams is better than Rose, then I closed the window.

Bhahahaa....Mo Williams is so overrated. I could see a debate between Rondo and Rose at this point. Rose is the more explosive scorer and might be a better passer, but Rondo is a superior defensively. Rondo also has an assload more weapons, which helps.

So in short, I'd still take Rose over Rondo.

My pg ratings are like this:

Steve Nash - Maybe he isn't the best, but he sure as hell is fun to watch and boy does he make the Suns work

Deron Williams - CP3 was hurt this past year, Deron is pretty darn good all around

Chris Paul - Pretty freaking good. When 100%, he's the best.

Derrick Rose - I think he has more upside than anyone on this list

Rajon Rondo - Pretty f***ing good

Tony Parker - Fantasy stats are meh, but he's still young, and when healthy is a very good PG

Jason Kidd - he just isn't the player he used to be, still an amazing passer though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
Bhahahaa....Mo Williams is so overrated. I could see a debate between Rondo and Rose at this point. Rose is the more explosive scorer and might be a better passer, but Rondo is a superior defensively. Rondo also has an assload more weapons, which helps.

So in short, I'd still take Rose over Rondo.

My pg ratings are like this:

Steve Nash - Maybe he isn't the best, but he sure as hell is fun to watch and boy does he make the Suns work

Deron Williams - CP3 was hurt this past year, Deron is pretty darn good all around

Chris Paul - Pretty freaking good. When 100%, he's the best.

Derrick Rose - I think he has more upside than anyone on this list

Rajon Rondo - Pretty f***ing good

Tony Parker - Fantasy stats are meh, but he's still young, and when healthy is a very good PG

Jason Kidd - he just isn't the player he used to be, still an amazing passer though.

Head to head Rose just looks head and shoulders better than Rondo. Rondo just cannot contain D Rose and I think Derrick is very close to becoming one of the elite dominating players in the league. He is that good. Against the Cavs he was the best player on the floor for alot of the series.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Head to head Rose just looks head and shoulders better than Rondo. Rondo just cannot contain D Rose and I think Derrick is very close to becoming one of the elite dominating players in the league. He is that good. Against the Cavs he was the best player on the floor for alot of the series.

Imagine a team trying to guard both Rose AND James...

If one doesnt drop 30 point son you, the other will.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Rondo's also been playing in the league for 4 years versus Rose's 2.

Per 36 minutes, in Rondo's first 2 seasons (pre big 3), he averaged 5.8 and 6.1 assists.

Per 36 minutes, Rose has averaged...6.1 and 5.9 assists in his 2 seasons.

Rondo has gotten 2 more rebounds and significantly more steals per game than Rose.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)

Don't forget that against the Cavs, Rondo looked amazing too. Mo Williams is a garbage defender. I think Rose is > Rondo, but I think people tend to underestimate Rondo a lot, especially because he's the best defensive PG in the league, imo. Rose on the other hand is a pretty damn terrible defender most of the time (mainly due to lack of commitment/focus).