NBA playoffs thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
Don't forget that against the Cavs, Rondo looked amazing too. Mo Williams is a garbage defender. I think Rose is > Rondo, but I think people tend to underestimate Rondo a lot, especially because he's the best defensive PG in the league, imo. Rose on the other hand is a pretty damn terrible defender most of the time (mainly due to lack of commitment/focus).

Rondo's spent 3 seasons with an excellent defensive coach though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Rondo's spent 3 seasons with an excellent defensive coach though.

I think the fact that DR can hit an 18 foot jump shot with regularity makes him better than Rondo at this point in their careers. Rondo has a high Basketball IQ but watching him shoot free throws or a mid-range J is upsetting. Rondo gets seemingly lost on defense as well.

Well, safe to say that series couldn't have possibly gone any better.

As a Bulls fan you can't help to be incredibly excited about the possibility of Lebron. The Bulls are easily the most desirable team with max cap space in terms of winning titles and instantly contending.

Regardless this summer is going to be very interesting is clearly going to change the landscape of the NBA for next season and many to come.

Let's hope in a few weeks we are talking about how the Bulls set themselves up to make a run at many titles, and not how Joe Johnson or Carlos Boozer makes them the 4 seed in the east.

Sources: Cavs fire Brown after second-round loss

The Cleveland Cavaliers have fired head coach Mike Brown, two league sources told SI.com.

Brown, who won the NBA's Coach of the Year Award last year, compiled a 272-138 record in five seasons leading the Cavaliers. He also led the team to the playoffs in each of those seasons, including a Finals apperance in 2007.

Cleveland's inability to return the championship round in the last two years, especially after nabbing the league's best record in both seasons, drew criticism of Brown's ability to manage his team and wining rotations.

A source also told SI.com that GM Danny Ferry will be retained by the team for the forseeable future.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ May 14, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
The Bulls are easily the most desirable team with max cap space in terms of winning titles and instantly contending.

I heard on the radio that the Thunder have enough cap space for a max signing. If we're talking strictly team and not marketing opportunities, then I would think that they would be above the Bulls.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 14, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I think the fact that DR can hit an 18 foot jump shot with regularity makes him better than Rondo at this point in their careers. Rondo has a high Basketball IQ but watching him shoot free throws or a mid-range J is upsetting. Rondo gets seemingly lost on defense as well.

Rondo's defense is overrated, but what he does very well is not only go for reach around steals (which is pure genius BTW) he commits on passing lanes, and he is always around the ball, forcing guys to make a mistake (dribble it out of bounds, fumble passes, etc..) cause they know he has lightning quick hands. Rondo can guard some PGs now one-on-one... Derrick Rose isn't one of them. That is what disappoints me about Rose. He has all the talent in the world to be the best lock-down defender at the PG position in every way. (a mini LeBron if you will with the steals, blocks, etc..) Rose averaged 0.4 blocks a game as a PG (I think only Westbrook is around there too). Most PGs average 0.2 or below. (unless your name is Jason Kidd)

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
Well, safe to say that series couldn't have possibly gone any better.

As a Bulls fan you can't help to be incredibly excited about the possibility of Lebron. The Bulls are easily the most desirable team with max cap space in terms of winning titles and instantly contending.

Regardless this summer is going to be very interesting is clearly going to change the landscape of the NBA for next season and many to come.

Let's hope in a few weeks we are talking about how the Bulls set themselves up to make a run at many titles, and not how Joe Johnson or Carlos Boozer makes them the 4 seed in the east.

Anywhere in the East that Lebron lands will make them an instant contender. New York is going from a payroll of 85M this year to having only 17M on the books going into the 10-11 season. The Knicks could sign a James/Bosh combo this year and then go after another all-star type player in 2011 when Curry's 11M comes off the books.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
I heard on the radio that the Thunder have enough cap space for a max signing. If we're talking strictly team and not marketing opportunities, then I would think that they would be above the Bulls.

Unless there's a really huge cap, they're a couple million away from max deal territory, prior to any trades or draft holds. Kristic also has a $6 million player option it appears.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Anywhere in the East that Lebron lands will make them an instant contender. New York is going from a payroll of 85M this year to having only 17M on the books going into the 10-11 season. The Knicks could sign a James/Bosh combo this year and then go after another all-star type player in 2011 when Curry's 11M comes off the books.

How is NY getting to a Payroll of $85 million next year? Who wants to do a sign and trade with any of the guys that the Knicks have who are expiring (TMac, Curry, etc.)?

$65 is possible.

Yes, I believe the Thunder are close to max space but they would need Kristic to turn down his player option for it to happen.

And yes they are coming down from 85, but they aren't going to be able to use all of that. The cap will probably be around 53, giving them room for 2 max deals but that's it. Bosh and Lebron, while a sick duo, would be an entirely barren roster.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 14, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)

Miami already has 2+ max free agent space this year. If they can deal Beasley or James Jones then they will have room for 3 max free agent's. They also have three 2nd round picks to fill out the roster cheaply.

My ideal Heat offseason.

Trade James Jones, Michael Beasley, and #18 pick for Devin Harris.

Re-sign Wade, and Haslem.

Sign A'mare.

Sign Haywood, Raja Bell.

PG: Harris, Chalmers, Beverly

SG. Wade, Cook, 2nd round pick

SF. Bell, Cook, 2nd round pick

PF. Stoudemire, Haslem

C. Haywood, 2nd round pick

Not much on the bench, but Haslem, Chalmers, Cook etc are solid. That should be a 2-3 seed in the East at worst.

Mike Brown deserves to get fired for the way the Cavs gave up at the end of the game last night, if not for anything else. I couldnt believe they let the Celtics basically dribble down the clock with a minute left.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
Mike Brown deserves to get fired for the way the Cavs gave up at the end of the game last night, if not for anything else. I couldnt believe they let the Celtics basically dribble down the clock with a minute left.

^.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)

I wouldn't argue with that. Its embarassing for a high school team to quit like that, let alone an NBA playoff team being paid millions to be there.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
Brown should've been fired ages ago. Heck, just last year, don't you remember when John Kuester had the board drawing up a play while Mike Brown was panicing in the background walking back and forth? The guy has been a joke.

As I said, he probably had Lebron lobbying for him. And Cleveland wasn't doing anything to piss Lebron off, even if Lebron needed it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
Don't forget that against the Cavs, Rondo looked amazing too. Mo Williams is a garbage defender. I think Rose is > Rondo, but I think people tend to underestimate Rondo a lot, especially because he's the best defensive PG in the league, imo. Rose on the other hand is a pretty damn terrible defender most of the time (mainly due to lack of commitment/focus).

Yes, but against Rondo, Rose has been dominant. Rondo cannot handle Rose head to head from what I've seen. I think Rondo is a complete ass that benefits from having stars around him as #1, #2 and #3 options. Dont get me wrong he is a very good player, its just he's put in a much more desirable situation than Rose.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Just finished watching Dan Gilbert's press conference. That is one stressed out lookin' dude. This could be me just hoping. But going by demeanor, you see a guy who's scared out of his mind.

He's about to risk losing what, $100-$150 million in franchise value overnight in a few months?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Just finished watching Dan Gilbert's press conference. That is one stressed out lookin' dude. This could be me just hoping. But going by demeanor, you see a guy who's scared out of his mind.

But he could get Luol Deng! Not all hope is lost.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
He's about to risk losing what, $100-$150 million in franchise value overnight in a few months?

Indeed. Losing LeBron ends the teams run of being good, kills 100 million of team value, leads to an empty building, likely means the hometown hero will be playing on a conference (if not division) rival, and hurts business in downtown Cleveland. Other than that though, Cleveland doesn't have much invested in what he does.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)

I believe I heard last night that the Cavs were worth approximately 200 million before LeBron and that he has essentially doubled the value of the team.

West - Williams - Varejao - Hixon - Moon kinda has a Randy Brown - Brent Barry - Toni Kukoc - Corey Benjaman and Dickey Simpkins kinda ring to it. . . .

please god, bring LeBron to Chicago.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 14, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
I believe I heard last night that the Cavs were worth approximately 200 million before LeBron and that he has essentially doubled the value of the team.

West - Williams - Varejao - Hixon - Moon kinda has a Randy Brown - Brent Barry - Toni Kukoc - Corey Benjaman and Dickey Simpkins kinda ring to it. . . .

please god, bring LeBron to Chicago.

I know this will be next to impossible for most. But I'd try my absolute hardest to get it out of my head that there's a chance Lebron will be a Bull.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
I know this will be next to impossible for most. But I'd try my absolute hardest to get it out of my head that there's a chance Lebron will be a Bull.

Well, there IS a chance he'll come to the Bulls. But to me, it's still an underdog proposition, so I wouldn't get excited.

Edited by whitesoxfan101