NBA playoffs thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the radio and watching TV has me baffled that people think LeBron in Chicago doesn't make them a contender, but instead a 4th seed in the East.

On the radio not long ago, I heard someone actually say:

"Well, they still wouldn't be able to beat the Celtics in 7 games, if Atlanta keeps Joe Johnson they're better, and then theres the Magic."

What?

If Atlanta keeps Joe Johnson, they're better.

Ha, probably the funniest thing I've read on a msg board in quite a while.

Oh wait no, that was Delonte West sleeping with Lebron's mom.

NY Post trying to argue why NY is a better fit than Chicago for Lebron;

But according to people in the organization, the Knicks braintrust has deduced that what James needs most on his side is a sniper and a player who can create his own shot in the fourth quarter.

Both elements would take the heavy burden off James. The Knicks feel they have the sniper in Danilo Gallinari and a fourth-quarter shotmaker in Wilson Chandler -- two young players improving every season.

Knicks brass don't believe James necessarily needs a prominent point guard because James handles the ball so much and is such a great passer, he essentially is the point guard and floor general.

In fact, the main thing the Bulls' cast has over the Knicks' cast is at point, with Derrick Rose. Some league personnel wonder if James and Rose would mesh well because both players need the ball most of the time.

The Knicks feel with Gallinari, Chandler, James and another near-max player -- Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire or even shooting guard Joe Johnson -- they can be dangerous. D'Antoni is also counting on newcomer Bill Walker to be a vital part of the rotation off the bench, feeling his potential has only been scratched.

LeBron doesn't need the ball most of the time to be effective. That's kind of a false comparison. I hate to default to the cliche, but did having Jordan limit Pippen's effectiveness by scoring too much? No, not even close. Pippen probably could've scored more without Jordan and vice versa, but does that really matter? Put them together and they win more games than they do without each other (or at least they get farther in the playoffs), it's really simple.

Rose is willing to sacrifice to create for others, but he can also get points when he wants to. So the idea that LeBron doesn't "need" a point because he's such a good passer is asinine, that's like saying he wouldn't be any good playing next to Wade because they both score too much. For another example see Magic's career numbers. He didn't really score very much because he had Hall of Famers to do it for him and he could run the offense, but does anyone doubt that he couldn't drop 30 if the Lakers needed him to? And what else does Magic have? Oh, that's right, a fistful of rings.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 16, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Listening to the radio and watching TV has me baffled that people think LeBron in Chicago doesn't make them a contender, but instead a 4th seed in the East.

On the radio not long ago, I heard someone actually say:

"Well, they still wouldn't be able to beat the Celtics in 7 games, if Atlanta keeps Joe Johnson they're better, and then theres the Magic."

What?

They were as high as the fifth seed before all of the injuries they had in the last half of the season.

I keep hearing "LeBron has no heart" because he had an absolutely terrible Game 5 that he deserves to get ripped a new one for. But it's like all these people forgot about the 2008 Finals where Kobe played below-average to poor basketball for pretty much the whole series, and of course the Celtics won that series pretty convincingly. Now, I enjoy ripping on LeBron (and Kobe too for that matter) but it gets to a point where I would just be denying their actual ability... does anyone say Kobe lacks heart? Hopefully not, or at least not anyone halfway intelligent... Kobe's team just got beat by a better team that year, and the Lakers went on to win next year. The only real criticism you can make of Kobe's 4 rings is how Shaq is why they won the first 3.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 16, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
I keep hearing "LeBron has no heart" because he had an absolutely terrible Game 5 that he deserves to get ripped a new one for. But it's like all these people forgot about the 2008 Finals where Kobe played below-average to poor basketball for pretty much the whole series, and of course the Celtics won that series pretty convincingly. Now, I enjoy ripping on LeBron (and Kobe too for that matter) but it gets to a point where I would just be denying their actual ability... does anyone say Kobe lacks heart? Hopefully not, or at least not anyone halfway intelligent... Kobe's team just got beat by a better team that year, and the Lakers went on to win next year. The only real criticism you can make of Kobe's 4 rings is how Shaq is why they won the first 3.

Keep in mind the naysayers were saying the same types ofthings about Jordan until the Bulls finally won. He was a great talent, didn't make the others better, a ballhog, etc. James is only a year older than Taj Gibson. If the Bulls get LeBron and they stay healthy, they will be in the finals every year for the foreseeable future.

I was LMAO at the NY Post this morning. In one article they were saying LeBron doesn't need a good point guard that Chandler and Gallinari would be more attractive to LBJ. Then in another article were talking about the Knicks acquiring Tony Parker and giving him a huge extension. He can't hang with Rose on a basketball court.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Keep in mind the naysayers were saying the same types ofthings about Jordan until the Bulls finally won. He was a great talent, didn't make the others better, a ballhog, etc. James is only a year older than Taj Gibson. If the Bulls get LeBron and they stay healthy, they will be in the finals every year for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't make that comparison though - look at the teams Jordan had to get through, and single-handedly because they either didn't have Pippen or he wasn't the Pippen we remember yet. Lakers, Celtics, Pistons in the 80s - those are some of the best teams ever and I don't think there is a team in today's NBA that even comes close to those, really.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)

I was LMAO at the NY Post this morning. In one article they were saying LeBron doesn't need a good point guard that Chandler and Gallinari would be more attractive to LBJ. Then in another article were talking about the Knicks acquiring Tony Parker and giving him a huge extension. He can't hang with Rose on a basketball court.

The NY Post thing makes me crack up.

"We have Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler. Paired with someone like Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade, that is more attractive than the Bulls with their possibility of Rose/Hinrich/Deng/Gibson/Noah and possibly trading Deng and others for Bosh."

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
It's crazy, but I feel like I never see Dwight Howard play well on the offensive end.

I don't think it's crazy at all. He has some of that same streak as Lebron in him...where he's really good at what he does, but he is no where near as good as he could be if he committed himself to adding a few more techniques in that low post.

I wonder if that isn't part of this generation of free agency/coddling of stars so that they don't walk.