NBA playoffs thread

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
What moves could they possibly make they they wouldn't already be trying to make though??

There are 2 things that they could try to do that they've passed on the last couple years. First, if hypothetically the Cavs signed LeBron for the next 6 years (With no opt-out clauses), they could afford to invest a couple years in developing a guy like the Celtics have done with Rondo or like the Bulls did way back with Grant and Pippen. Instead of trying to find guys with talent that could grow in their system, they've been all about trying to find that one veteran piece who could fill the hole they had the previous season (Williams, Shaq).

The other thing they could do is find a coach willing to piss Lebron off.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
In the hypothetical world, you deal Wall for a top of the line front line piece that you can stick in next to Arenas, but really, who's going to give something up like that for an unproven draft pick? Especially since a lot of the really top guys are already free agents this offseason. You're not giving up Dwight Howard for him. If you were the Nuggets would you do Anthony for Wall?

I dont know that a proven player would be the return, but i think that the Wizards could def trade down for more picks, or future picks and possibly a solid bench player/starter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
I dont know that a proven player would be the return, but i think that the Wizards could def trade down for more picks, or future picks and possibly a solid bench player/starter.

And if Wall winds up being as good as a #1 pick should be, unless there's a top 10 player coming back in return at some point, I think it's all but impossible for them to get fair value for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
And if Wall winds up being as good as a #1 pick should be, unless there's a top 10 player coming back in return at some point, I think it's all but impossible for them to get fair value for it.

agreed. Its a tough spot for the Wizards(which is ironic considering they have the best pick), Wall is going to be a good/great NBA player, but he doesnt really fit their need.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
agreed. Its a tough spot for the Wizards(which is ironic considering they have the best pick), Wall is going to be a good/great NBA player, but he doesnt really fit their need.

Really, what they need is either someone crazy enough to take on Arenas's deal, or to have Arenas pull a Vernon Wells and play up to it. If that happens, they could trade Wall for a #3-#4 pick and say, an Al Jefferson type player, and have a legitimately solid rotation.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
It scares me how much a John Wall for Andrew Bynum + pick deal makes sense.

I wouldn't do that in the Wizard's chair, not for a pick guaranteed to be in the bottom of the first round and a guy whose body looks like it can't handle the NBA beating.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 19, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
It scares me how much a John Wall for Andrew Bynum + pick deal makes sense.

It scares me even more that you think that would make any sense. Andrew Bynum has missed almost 100 games over the last 3 seasons. Even if he wasn't made of glass, he's not a dominating type that you could build your team around. The Lakers got their freebee in Pau Gasol. They're not about to get another one in John Wall.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
It scares me even more that you think that would make any sense. Andrew Bynum has missed almost 100 games over the last 3 seasons. Even if he wasn't made of glass, he's not a dominating type that you could build your team around. The Lakers got their freebee in Pau Gasol. They're not about to get another one in John Wall.

Here's the question...if you're the Wizards, and the Lakers could pull it off where you gave them the # 1 pick but you also moved Gilbert Arenas's contract, what else would you want back?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
Here's the question...if you're the Wizards, and the Lakers could pull it off where you gave them the # 1 pick but you also moved Gilbert Arenas's contract, what else would you want back?

Not a damn thing. John Wall is going to be D-rose the sequel. The Lakers have nothing that would entice me.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2010 -> 06:03 AM)
Not a damn thing. John Wall is going to be D-rose the sequel. The Lakers have nothing that would entice me.

Exactly. You don't trade Wall unless you are getting a top 10 guy or a guy you believe will be a top 10 player. Wall has that kind of potential.

I know Heat fans are hoping to see Riley offer a package of something like...

#18 pick(Heat pick for Washington)

Beasley

Toronto's future 1st

Heat's 1st next year

Beasley is a hometown guy for Washington, so I could see it at least being tempting.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 19, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I know Heat fans are hoping to see Riley offer a package of something like...

#18 pick(Heat pick for Washington)

Beasley

Toronto's future 1st

Heat's 1st next year

Beasley is a hometown guy for Washington, so I could see it at least being tempting.

Beasley's a FA though, right? And the Wiz are under the cap enough to make him an offer.

Teams like the Lakers and others will have some nice packages to offer for the #1 if they are interested in Wall. Good thing for the Bulls is that they have the PG spot figured out.

Do you think either Paul or Collison will be traded?

The big winners of the draft were the 76ers. They get the #2 pick which will be huge for them. They get to add Evan Turner as their SG of the future. He’ll be huge for them and will really help open the offense up for A.I.2 & Young. But eventually the Sixers will need to decide if they are keeping A.I.2 or Young and package the odd man out for something else.

Holiday/Williams

Turner/Green

A.I.2/Young

Brand/Speights

Dalembert/Brand

The Sixers have are in a situation where they have a nice problem. Too much talent at multiple positions. They’ll have to decide who they want to keep in Holiday/Williams & A.I.2/Young and whether Speights can be a legit starting PF. But they should be able to find plenty of trade partners and even with no trades they’ll be an improved team next year with the addition of Turner and if they have less injuries.

I do think the Wizards have to take Wall and I guess Arenas will be SG (though Arenas/Turner looks pretty good as well). That should be a good 1-2. I wouldn’t be shocked if they traded away #1 if it allows them to also package Arenas and bring some young talent and future picks back to Washington.

Could a trade to New Jersey make sense?

Harris/#3 pick/ Terrance Williams & a future 1st

Arenas/#1 pick Wall

The Nets take Wall and go into next year with a mighty good young core & enough cap room to sign a max free agent + some. An upgrade at PF? ? ? Bosh/Amare/Boozer?? Or they settle to keep the 3rd pick and gamble on free agents wanting to come to NJ and thus Brooklyn in the future.

Wall/Quinn

Arenas/

CDR

Bosh?Amare?Boozer?/Yi Jianlian

Lopez

The Wizards get rid of Arenas which has to be one of the primary goals. They get a solid PG in Harris, a potential future defensive stud in Williams, the #3 pick which they use on Derrick Favors or Cousins (whichever they are higher on) and a future 1st unprotected pick.

Sure they pass up on Wall who is going to be a very good pro but they get solid players in return, a great young big man prospect in either Favors or Cousins, cap flexibility and a future unprotected 1st round pick (as well as Gilbert off the roster). They pick up their option on Josh Howard and then use his expiring $11M later in the year as trade bait to a contending team or a team trying to clear cap for next year in order to further improve their team. Then they hand the SF position over to Thornton. I’m pretty high on Favors and think with the right coaching Cousins could be a very good center so if NJ is willing to take Arenas I think they’ll pull the trigger.

Harris

Williams/Young

Howard/Thornton

Favors

Blatche/McGee

Or

Harris

Williams/Young

Howard/Thornton

Blatche

Cousins/McGee

I wouldn't be surprised if both teams would consider that...

The big question for the Wizards has to be...how do they think the NBA is going to evolve post-lockout? If they can dump Arenas's contract, they could leave themselves with a huge advantage and a ton of money in their pockets coming out of the lockout, or they could leave themselves trying to open up cap space at the time when having cap space becomes suddenly less valuable because its impossible to convince players to leave as free agents.

The question for the Nets owner would be...how big of a hurt does Arenas and his Contract and potential marketing issues put on that team's future?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
I'll be the Wizards wish they had tried to terminate the contract of Arenas when they had the chance.

I think they explored that option and realized it probably wasnt going to be easy, if it was even possible. I bet the players association would fight that tooth and nail