NBA playoffs thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
Wow. That would be something else.

Doesn't that seem like such a Phil Jackson move? I still have my doubts that it will happen (especially if Paxon can't gaurantee that Lebron will sign), but it makes sense that he would jump ship after having some disagreements with management and come to a team ripe for a prolonged title run (again, assuming that LBJ signs here).

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
Imagine this dream scenario: We draft Henry or Anderson, Lebron signs with the Bulls, Phil Jackson comes back to Chicago, then we sign and trade for Bosh.

Wow.

I would drive to the Berto Center with fresh baked cookies for Garpax

Nice to see some heart and effort tonight, although I thought towards the end of the 4th Q, we were going to find someway to lose it.

We won simply because we kept Rondo in check and Nelson played much more aggresive, turned the corner and didn't settle for long jumpers until the end when we became stagnant.

I don't think we can do that for another 3 games though and for Rondo to play so badly again.

And SVG needs to start Redick over VC, VC's become a liability when he's this poor on offense. At least Lewis played much better.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
I would drive to the Berto Center with fresh baked cookies for Garpax

I'd just drive by the Berto Center with a sign reading "Thanks for not f***ing this off season up, you're forgiven"

If I was Phil, I'd tell them immediately no thanks.

I mean his team is up 2-1 in what could turn out to be a competitive series.

Are the Bulls dumb enough to contact him now? What is NBA protocal (sp)? He's got a legitimate shot to win another title in sunny LA where isn't he still dating or married to Buss' daughter?

Why would he come back to cold Chicago? Just to coach LeBron? Bulls will have to offer a pile pile pile of money, by far the richest contract ever given a coach me thinks. WW Wes will have to guarantee LeBron signing as well me thinks.

-- Magic could make this interesting series. I didn't think either team played particularly well late, but the Magic get another game, at home, to try to rediscover what they had not so long ago. If they start to click again like in earlier rounds, watch out??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:31 AM)
-- Magic could make this interesting series. I didn't think either team played particularly well late, but the Magic get another game, at home, to try to rediscover what they had not so long ago. If they start to click again like in earlier rounds, watch out??

I had the same feeling after watching that game tonight. But I think it comes down to whether or not the Magic shooters can re-gain that shooting touch. It also wouldn't hurt to hit a f***ing free-throw now and again. Howard was absolutely pathetic from the line tonight and was a big reason why the Magic couldn't slam the door closed late in the 4th quarter.

It all depends on the Nelson / Rondo matchup. Nelson played badly 1st 3 games, and was pretty good tonight. Vice versa for Rondo.

And Vince Carter has simply got to do better than 1 for 9 from the field. Redick played a good 29 minutes tonight, and he's a player we should use more often if Nelson is penetrating like he was tonight, because Redick's far more reliable from the perimeter and is crafty enough to create his own shot off the pick and roll.

Murcie put it best when he said it's all on the Magic shooters to regain their touch. Mickael Pietrus for example who was clutch in the 1st 2 series, and has done nothing in these 1st 4 games, and he's capable of much more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:31 AM)
If I was Phil, I'd tell them immediately no thanks.

I mean his team is up 2-1 in what could turn out to be a competitive series.

Are the Bulls dumb enough to contact him now? What is NBA protocal (sp)? He's got a legitimate shot to win another title in sunny LA where isn't he still dating or married to Buss' daughter?

Why would he come back to cold Chicago? Just to coach LeBron? Bulls will have to offer a pile pile pile of money, by far the richest contract ever given a coach me thinks. WW Wes will have to guarantee LeBron signing as well me thinks.

The Boss's daughter was saying just the other week that there was a possibility that Phil is coaching elsewhere next year, and if Lebron comes to CHicago, he has more than a legitimate shot at winning more titles with Rose and Noah(and possibly more).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
So the Bulls reaching out to Phil Jackson isnt considered tampering?

I'm sure this is one of those cases where there's been enough done to just barely skirt by the tampering rules.

"There has been no direct contact between Bulls officials and Jackson, according to the sources, but people close to both parties have spoken and come away with the belief that Jackson would be open to a potential reunion in Chicago next season."
Probably...no official offer on the table, no one actually officially affiliated with the team has said anything about him or two him or anyone personally employed by him. But if some reporter that Paxson knows happens to also be friends with a good friend of Jackson and they wanted to both set something up and leak the story, that's probably just dancy enough to get around the rules.

Stan Van Gundy made an excellent point regarding the Mike Brown firing, noting that Cleveland didn't fire him for having the best winning percentage among active coaches, they fired him for losing his last three games against Boston. Curiously, Van Gundy also mentioned that Brown had not been back-stabbed through the media during the final days of his tenure, a comment that left me wondering whether he was referencing his own departure from Miami, or alluding to speculation from prior to Game 4 that his own job might be on the line.
Link

1 thing that probably appeals to Jackson more than anything, is that Rose is probably the perfect type of PG for his triangle offense, because he's certainly tall enough at 6'3, can create his own shot if need be, and is a pretty good passer although this will probably only get better going forward.

That said, there's no way I can see him leaving the Lakers unless he gets more money (and I mean quite a bit more) from either Cleveland or Chicago.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
That said, there's no way I can see him leaving the Lakers unless he gets more money (and I mean quite a bit more) from either Cleveland or Chicago.

The Lakers have all but said that he will have to take a pay cut to come back.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Doesn't that seem like such a Phil Jackson move? I still have my doubts that it will happen (especially if Paxon can't gaurantee that Lebron will sign), but it makes sense that he would jump ship after having some disagreements with management and come to a team ripe for a prolonged title run (again, assuming that LBJ signs here).

If Jackson signs here, it tells me pretty clearly that Wade or James is on their way at least.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Stan Van Gundy sure has a lot to say about other coaching situations when his team was -->

Well he's pretty much a guy who's going to stand up for other coaches, and I applaud that especially when so many sports franchises are looking for the quick fix, and continuity can often be the best thing for the long - term.

And SVG's job is probably one of the most safest in the NBA today. If we got swept, that was all on the players for the lack of effort and execution e.g Vince Carter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
The Lakers have all but said that he will have to take a pay cut to come back.

Seems like they're pretty much ready for Brian Shaw to take over if that's the case.

With what Jackson has accomplished, and now probably going to 3 straight NBA finals series, I don't think he deserves to be taking a pay-cut.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
I don't think he deserves to be taking a pay-cut.

If the Lakers think Shaw is their long-term answer at coach, and they think they might risk losing him if they waited another season (see: Kurt Rambis), and they think they might save themselves a substantial chunk of cash if they let Jackson walk, then I think it sorta does make sense for them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
If the Lakers think Shaw is their long-term answer at coach, and they think they might risk losing him if they waited another season (see: Kurt Rambis), and they think they might save themselves a substantial chunk of cash if they let Jackson walk, then I think it sorta does make sense for them.

I mean it all depends on how much drop-off do the Lakers think going from Jackson to Shaw next season would make.

And I think with Minnesota's struggles this season, it shows that unless you have good veteran players who are well skilled offensively, it's very hard to be successful early on with the triangle offense, so that could make teams shy away from Shaw.

Sounds as if Casey's going to get the Atlanta job, Thibodeau's become the big favourite for the Hornets job (that's my sleeper team for next season instantly if that's the case) and with Collins taking the Philly job, that leaves Chicago, Cleveland, the Clippers, New Jersey and potentially Golden State if new owners come in, as the remaining available head coach positions.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Well he's pretty much a guy who's going to stand up for other coaches, and I applaud that especially when so many sports franchises are looking for the quick fix, and continuity can often be the best thing for the long - term.

And SVG's job is probably one of the most safest in the NBA today. If we got swept, that was all on the players for the lack of effort and execution e.g Vince Carter.

Im not saying his job is in jeopardy, im saying he should start worrying about his teams current state rather than opining on the state of jobs elsewhere. I dont remember Phil Jackson commenting much on other jobs when the Bulls were in the playoffs/finals.