NBA playoffs thread

Yeah I think looking at the candidates out there, Thibodeau is probably the perfect hire for the Bulls.

He's a fantastic defensive coach but JVG has said that's he decent enough offneisvely as well, although the Bulls probably need a John Kuester type of offensive assistant next to him.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Sam Smith, Thibs was offered a three-year deal by the Bulls. Pretty obvious he will accept soon. Great hire, IMO. Terrific defensive coach. Proven to be part of winning teams. And with his relationship to WWW, has ties to the big FAs. It will be interesting to see how he builds his coaching staff.

KC Johnson reporting that Thibodeau has accepted the Bulls offer, but an announcement can't be made until the Finals are over.

So it looks like Thibodeau will be the head coach and Pete Meyers will stay on as an assistant. Thibs could be brining along Ron Adams and Mo Cheeks as assistants, which I think would be fantastic. Randy Brown will stay on as a player development assistant, and they've talked about bringing Kevin Ollie or Rick Brunson in for that same position.

Not entirely sure whats going on, but the Bulls have actually (hopefully) done quite well here.

So this is an honest question and felt it would be better off in this thread than on the Sox part of this board: do you think that if Ozzie got fired in the next few weeks, would critics use that to show that JR isn't loyal? I could just imagine the headlines "Disloyal JR fires World Series winning manager".

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
One year at a D-III school really doesn't count.

The guy has been the most experienced, respected, prepared assistants in the NBA for the past few years. He has been ready for awhile but hasn't found the right place. I'm glad he likes our situation and I believe FA targets will like to play for him.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
One year at a D-III school really doesn't count.

In my mind, any little bit of experience counts. Head coaches don't do as much technical stuff as you'd think. It's more about motivation and direction when you're the guy in charge.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
The guy has been the most experienced, respected, prepared assistants in the NBA for the past few years. He has been ready for awhile but hasn't found the right place. I'm glad he likes our situation and I believe FA targets will like to play for him.

There are only a handful of assistant coaches that everyone who's a serious NBA fan knows their name. Thibodeau has been in that group since at least 2008.

World Wide Wes has been telling everyone that he believes LeBron James(notes) is leaning hard toward signing with the Chicago Bulls. No one can be certain if basketball’s most famous middleman has been whispering honest insights to friends or amping the anxiety of Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert. Just know this: It wasn’t until Tom Thibodeau – who swore he never again wanted an agent – signed with William Wesley’s CAA that the Chicago Bulls grew serious about the coach’s candidacy.

Something pushed Bulls officials to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles on the eve of the NBA Finals and meet with the Boston Celtics assistant coach. Within 48 hours, the Bulls had a deal for Thibodeau to become their head coach. For several weeks, the Bulls had chances to interview him. They never did. Just a year ago, Thibodeau couldn’t get offers from the Sacramento Kings, Detroit Pistons, Philadelphia Sixers and Minnesota Timberwolves. The Celtics see him as a career assistant and wouldn’t even consider him as a candidate to replace Doc Rivers.

Only now, Tom Thibodeau has a three-year contract to coach the Chicago Bulls.

As one front-office executive with a franchise that has significant salary-cap space this summer said, “I think all the big free-agent deals will be done by July 1, if not the draft. The NBA would have a cow if [it] knew what’s going on now.”

Some league executives don’t even believe Bulls general manager Gar Forman was sold on Thibodeau, but it doesn’t matter. Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was. Everything is happening on the ownership level now, and that’s the reason Gilbert wants to become Jerry Jones and Danny Ferry wanted out of a Cleveland future whether it included LeBron James or not. The hiring of Thibodeau doesn’t assure the Bulls of James, but consider it something of a down payment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq_w...influence060510

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 07:40 PM)
There are only a handful of assistant coaches that everyone who's a serious NBA fan knows their name. Thibodeau has been in that group since at least 2008.

Pretty much sums it up. I think people forget that VDN NEVER coached in ANY LEVEL in his life.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
KC Johnson reporting that Thibodeau has accepted the Bulls offer, but an announcement can't be made until the Finals are over.

So it looks like Thibodeau will be the head coach and Pete Meyers will stay on as an assistant. Thibs could be brining along Ron Adams and Mo Cheeks as assistants, which I think would be fantastic. Randy Brown will stay on as a player development assistant, and they've talked about bringing Kevin Ollie or Rick Brunson in for that same position.

Not entirely sure whats going on, but the Bulls have actually (hopefully) done quite well here.

The Brunson Burner? Count me in!!!!