HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda disappointed with NBC's coverage and the lack of replays on the early penalty calls. I'd like to see how the penalty was committed and whether or not it was a good call. It seemed like it took them a while to catch up on the Bolland/Versteeg mix up as well.

I was busy moving and checking updates on my phone. It seemed like I checked ten times when it was 1-1. When it popped up WINNER! I gave a little yell and the "will work for food" guys looked at me like I was crazier.

My favorite hit of the game came from Hammer. I don't know which Shark he hit, and the announcers didn't really focus on the hit, but he LEVELED the guy.

Like a Swedish Freight Train hitting a small fish from California.

Nice hit, Mr. Hjalmarsson!!!

:headbang

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
My favorite hit of the game came from Hammer. I don't know which Shark he hit, and the announcers didn't really focus on the hit, but he LEVELED the guy.

Like a Swedish Freight Train hitting a small fish from California.

Nice hit, Mr. Hjalmarsson!!!

:headbang

Eager was playing out of his mind as well and it wont be mentioned in the news. He leveled about 5 guys and was grinding the puck off the boards all night.

They won a game on the road, in the loudest arena in the NHL, in which they were penalized 5 times compared to none, and their rookie goalie was outstanding. You can't really ask for much more.

Niemi has been good far more than he hasn't thus far in the playoffs and its fantastic to see him turning into our franchise goalie. Hopefully he can keep it up and get us 7 more playoff victories.

The last 50 seconds was such a pathetic display, Thornton's wiff was priceless.

In related news, apparently Niemi's nickname is f*** CITY. Some guy at the UC was yelling rape city because he was beasting and his girlfriend got mad so he changed it to f*** city.

The more you know.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
The last 50 seconds was such a pathetic display, Thornton's wiff was priceless.

In related news, apparently Niemi's nickname is f*** CITY. Some guy at the UC was yelling rape city because he was beasting and his girlfriend got mad so he changed it to f*** city.

The more you know.

I don't understand the Niemi nickname thing, especially that the guy was "beasting"? And is that actually his nickname from the players, or did some drunk at the UC make it up?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
I don't understand the Niemi nickname thing, especially that the guy was "beasting"? And is that actually his nickname from the players, or did some drunk at the UC make it up?

Pretty sure the players call him octopus or something like that.

I think he's going to resurrect them as well. The guy is so good at evaluating young talent in drafts and trades. He won't have to sign any FA either since he does suck at doing that not to mention what FA would want to go to Florida? I believe his top sidekick joined him as well. I like Stan, but I still don't think we will as good at drafting (especially those diamond in the rough guys in the later rounds IE. Brouwer, Byfuglien, etc.. prove me wrong Bowman) as we used to be. I do think however we will be better at managing the cap.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 18, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
Quick question: where do people stand with Niemi as far as the future of this team? Is he the guy for the future or do we still look to get a veteran goalie this offseason?

Ask that after the season. :lol:

I think he's shown enough, barring an epic collapse on his part, to be the man next year in the eyes of the team. The interesting question is what they'll do with Huet, and perhaps who will be the backup to Niemi next year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
Pretty sure the players call him octopus or something like that.

I've heard people call him the Finnish Fortress as well

Quick question: where do people stand with Niemi as far as the future of this team? Is he the guy for the future or do we still look to get a veteran goalie this offseason?

I think we keep Niemi as our goalie for the future, and try to dump Huet on another team. And I don't think Huet's a bad goalie, just inconsistent, so I think we should be able to trade him... and I have no idea what we do for a backup goalie

Also, i dont know if this has been posted, but its Niemi's History Will Be Made commercial

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?c...18&id=69853

Edited by LZPride08

Without a doubt, you go with Niemi as your #1 goalie next year. I don't think signing a veteran goalie for big $$$ is necessarily the best move, especially with the salary cap. Look how it hurt the Hawks with Khabi & Huet, and look at some of the other teams in the playoffs as well. San Jose pays big $$ for Nabokov, but until this year it hasn't paid off. The Habs just found Halak and he has been unbelievable, Philly has played goalie roulette all season, Boston is paying Thomas big cash, but rode Rask all season. The Canucks have Luongo for the next 10 seasons, and how happy do you think they are about that right now?

He's my starter until proven otherwise. He has done everything asked of him.

I'm torn on him to be honest. I think the best case would still to be trade for a young goalie with great potential (Bernier, Schneider, Price, etc..) and build him with Kane/Toews, but Niemi is a solid fairly young player in his own right (and you know if he helps win the cup, people in Chicago want that goalie back). IF he doesn't cost you too much (remember we still have to re-sign him as a RFA and manage the cap) you do it and perhaps draft a goalie in the future to groom, unless the org. feels Niemi is the future for another 10+ years. No doubt it should be Niemi/Crawford next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
not gonna lie, im shopping Niemi this offseason if I'm the Hawks.

That's foolish. A cheap goaltender who has played better than anything we can find and you want to shop him?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
That's foolish. A cheap goaltender who has played better than anything we can find and you want to shop him?

Yes, i have a feeling he is at his all time high in value and I'd like some cheap players in return to fill in for the cap hits we let go.