HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Thornton slashed Bolland with an intent in injure.

I know Joe is Canadian, maybe he's from Vancouver? Stay Classy Joe.

Edited by NIUSox

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Hossa has been terrible this series (really this whole playoffs minus a GW and another goal) hit the pipe on an empty netter.

You couldn't be more wrong really. Sure, he isn't lighting it up with goals, but he's played very well.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
You couldn't be more wrong really. Sure, he isn't lighting it up with goals, but he's played very well.

Ace is new to hockey fandom, so I didn't want to rip into him.

An assist and four hits and countless other started opportunities does not equal awful.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Just because Hossa isnt scoring goals doesnt mean he hasnt been a factor.

Imo hes generally one of the more dominant players on the ice. He is a great defender and he is good at getting the puck of the boards at getting it to teammates.

Agreed. He has done such a good job at working the puck out of the defensive zone at key times.

I didnt rip into him.

But I think Hossa's work on the 2nd line has been key for the Blackhawks. When I watch him play he just seems to be bigger and faster than most of the other guys out there, which allows him to hold onto the puck and work the cycle.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Just because Hossa isnt scoring goals doesnt mean he hasnt been a factor.

Imo hes generally one of the more dominant players on the ice. He is a great defender and he is good at getting the puck of the boards at getting it to teammates.

I'm only quoting what the guy said himself. He even said he's been bad. I'm not talking defensively, but the offense has not been there for him.

Toews on the other hand wants to break Malkin's playoff scoring record the way he is going.

We spent so much time worrying about whether or not the Hawks would have the #1 seed and home-ice advantage, shows how little we knew. I hate to jinx anything or be too confident, but man, I have a hard time seeing anybody stopping the Hawks right now, 6 more wins fellas.

Since Hossa was such a high-profile FA signing and makes so much money, I think people expect him to score so many goals, but obviously he does so much more than that. Hes a pleasure to watch, so strong and has such control of the puck, no matter who is around him trying to knock him over. Its no coincidence that Sharpie is having such a good playoffs playing next to him.

It's only 2 games, but looking like Montreal's run might be ending. Its crazy that the Flyers needed a shoot out just to make the playoffs, and are now this close to the Finals. If they had lost the shootout, the Rangers would have been the #8 seed, Montreal the #7, and we might be watching Capitals/Penguins now instead.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
Toews on the other hand wants to break Malkin's playoff scoring record the way he is going.

Unless I'm missing something here, I think you may be a little misinformed on Malkin.

Malkin had 36 points last year (14G, 22A), which is the most since Gretzky's 40 in 92-93. However, there have been 6 occurrences where there have been more than 36; 4 are by Gretzky (surprise, surprise), with one by Lemeiux and Paul Coffey sprinkled in there.

The most points ever in a playoff season? 47 by Gretzky, in only 18 games. WOW

Single season scoring via NHL.com

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ May 19, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)
The most points ever in a playoff season? 47 by Gretzky, in only 18 games. WOW

Single season scoring via NHL.com

"Gretzky has every record." I know this from commercials.

I kinda thought the Sharks might be the Hawks' best match-up of the 3 so far, but I never imagined them coming home up 2. Quenneville should

put the team up at a hotel in Naperville.

And Joe Thornton is a pansy and a head case.

The series is far from over but the Blackhawks obviously couldn't ask for a better start. Anti flat out winning game one for them was so huge. He really has stepped up and I am enjoying the crow he is feeding me, hopefully he has two more series worth!

I prefer the Finnish Fortress for Niemi

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Hockey players love their nicknames, and the Blackhawks' dressing room is no different. Forward Andrew Ladd was kind enough Tuesday morning to give us a detailed account of the Chicago monikers.

"OK, let's start with [Patrick] Kane here beside me, we call him the 'Doctor,'" Ladd said, adding that it was in honor of Kane's offensive wizardry.

"John Madden, he's 'Mad Dog.' We call Patrick Sharp, 'Shooter.' We call Dave Bolland the 'Rat' or 'Greyhound,'" Ladd said before Bolland interrupted from across the room.

"Let's stick with 'Greyhound,'" Bolland said.

"Jonathan Toews is 'Captain Serious,'" continued Ladd. "Brent Seabrook is 'Seabiscuit.' Brian Campbell is 'Soup' or 'Rusty.' He calls Duncan Keith 'Jigsaw.' Who else ... Oh, [Niklas] Hjalmarsson, we call him 'Jelly.' I'm not sure where that came from. I'm just 'Laddy.' Troy Brouwer is just 'Brow.' [Colin] Fraser is just 'Fraz.' [ben] Eager is just 'Eags.'"

At this point, Ladd wondered who he didn't cover. We suggested Antti Niemi.

"Oh yeah, he's 'Nemo,'" said Ladd. "[Cristobal] Huet is 'Huey.'"

And Dustin Byfuglien?

"'Buff' or 'Big Poppa,'" chuckled Ladd.

Marian Hossa is "Hoss," Tomas Kopecky is "Kopy" and Adam Burish is "Burkett".

"Burkett?"

"Yeah, I don't know why," laughed Ladd. "I think Duncs came up with that."

And finally, the one that takes the cake is Kris Versteeg.

"He's 'Beauty,'" said Ladd. "I think that's self-proclaimed. He calls himself that."

"Yeah, man ... 'Beauty,'" Versteeg yelled across the room.

"So there you go, we've got a few," said Ladd.