HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
I feel guiltily... I feel like I SHOULD buy some hawks gear, but at the same time I've never owned any and it makes me feel lie a bandwagon jumper.

I think you are more than entitled to buy some "STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS" attire. I've followed them a long time and never owned any either. ;)

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
I love your post, Krush - I can relate to and agree with all of it, except for one small detail:

I'm happy the Johnny-Come-Latelys got to enjoy this as well as the die-hards. It takes more than just the "core audience" to make something an event, and the 2009-2010 Blackhawks (especially come playoff time) were one of the biggest, most talked-about events in Chicago sports that I can remember.

It seems like everywhere I went, people were talking Hawks, wearing the gear, singing that awful DOO DOODOODOO song.

This felt as big as the Bears getting to the Super Bowl, as big as 2005. You don't get the kind of buzz the Hawks had/have without the "casual fan" getting on board.

So I say THANK YOU to every Hawks fan, new, old, die-hard, bandwagon, newly-in-love or in-love-for now. This belongs to EVERYONE.

Savor it, because this may never happen again.

:headbang :headbang

Sorry Critic, that wasn't meant as a "f*** off" to the bandwagoners. I just wanted to address the die-hards for a second who had experienced a lot of what I talked about, who it was really relevant too. As we know with the Sox...when you are this invested, it just means more deep down to you, at least in my opinion. I know a lot of people are happy, but for us...I mean, I don't know at what moment I will stop thinking about this. The magnitude is just crazy.

It was cool to see a city get into something like this and to have a buzz instead of people constanly mocking me for following the Hawks. It's not my style to go watch games and party with all of them, but they can have their fun and enjoy it too however they would like.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
I feel guiltily... I feel like I SHOULD buy some hawks gear, but at the same time I've never owned any and it makes me feel lie a bandwagon jumper.

Go buy it, enjoy it. So many of you on here admitted that you aren't the biggest Hawks fans, would try to learn from everyone's posts, and seemed to show genuine interest in the game and ask questions when you were unsure of things. I've never had a problem with those types of fans. I only have a problem with the people who are completely posing as fans only because it's the in thing to do, and they want to look cool, and ruin other people's game/fan experience.

To end it back on a higher note...anyone see the medal Burish was wearing that just said "winner" on it? That was fantastic.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
I'll clearly be at the rally tomorrow. It should be a great time.

Did you go to the Sox one?

I did not as I was down at school, but I'm going tomorrow.

What time do you need to be somewhere to be able to see anything? Any tips from any of you veteran parade goers?

Looking forward to watching Kane rap, swear like a sailor, or something equally as ridiculous.

Krush,

I didn't take your post as anti-new fan, I just wanted to recognize the part the newer fans played in energizing the city for this team.

I agree that long-suffering fans have to get a deeper satisfaction out of this.

I will CLEARLY be at work, and then CLEARLY going to the rally if the weather is CLEAR.

You gotta love how the players got back in the wee hours of the night and just kept partying and drinking at Harry Carrays & the Pony Inn til 8 or 9 AM. I can imagine how rowdy that flight home had to be.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I have absolutely no urge to go the rally tommorrow, nor did I in 05. I'd be able to see and hear everything much better on TV anyway. If I worked in the Loop, I guess I might check it out, but don't want to actually travel down there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)

What time do you need to be somewhere to be able to see anything? Any tips from any of you veteran parade goers?

Looking forward to watching Kane rap, swear like a sailor, or something equally as ridiculous.

EARLY.

However early you think is too early, go EARLIER.

Unlike the Sox rally, half the city doesn't hate this team, so I expect it to be more packed than 2005.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)

I did not. I actually had to work at Blockbuster and then the UC for the Hawks that day.

I'm planning on getting down there around 10am if not a bit earlier, but I'm going directly to the rally site which doesn't start til 11:30, which you know will be delayed.

I was at the Sox one and I left my office about 15 minutes before it started. Depending on the route, you should be able to get a good view on most streets.

In terms of getting a good view of where the actual rally may be held, you probably want to get there early. I kind of lucked out with the Sox one and followed the parade then found a way towards the front of the stage. Not sure if this will be more or less crowded.

Anyone have a picture with the route?

Some video of Toews interviewed at the airport in this article.

Toews and his teammates landed at O'Hare International Airport after returning from Philadelphia, where just hours earlier they had defeated the Flyers 4-3 in overtime to give the organization its first Stanley Cup in 49 years.

The 22-year-old was still trying to soak everything in. He knew that the flight home was just the beginning of what figures to be a crazy celebration the next few days and weeks for his team.

A ticker tape parade will kick things off Friday morning at Wacker and Washington. The parade will proceed east on Washington to Michigan, and then to Wacker. There will be a rally at 11:30 a.m. CT at the intersection of Michigan and Wacker.

The parade and celebration will be carried live on ESPN3.com and ESPNChicago.com.

"It was a crazy flight," Toews said. "No one was sitting down. No one was relaxing. It was just our way of getting the party started. We're happy to be here, back at our home in Chicago, and we're ready to show this off to our fans here."

Coach Joel Quenneville agreed.

"The plane [ride]," he said with a laugh, "That was better than the game. That was a lot of fun. Everybody was at a different level than they've been at in a long time. The guys, you can tell they're a young group of guys, they accomplished a lot, and they're really enjoying the moment, and it's fun watching these guys take it to the next level."

The Blackhawks looked and smelled like a team that truly was enjoying every moment.

Forward Dustin Byfuglien whipped through the airport lobby wearing a pair of neon orange sunglasses. Forward Kris Versteeg carried around Toews' Conn Smythe trophy, which some of the players have affectionately dubbed "Connie."

Im at work and lazy, sue me b****.

Washington is a s***ty street for them to go down, not going to be a lot of room for people to stand. Id suggest the Daley Plaza (but it will be packed). The address is 55 W. Washington (I m pretty sure the north/south streets are clark and dearborn, 1 street east of Lasalle), youd think Id remember seeing as Im there every day.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
EARLY.

However early you think is too early, go EARLIER.

Unlike the Sox rally, half the city doesn't hate this team, so I expect it to be more packed than 2005.

It will probably be a bit smaller than the Sox rally I'd imagine. I'd still get there super early if I was going to go.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
Im at work and lazy, sue me b****.

Washington is a s***ty street for them to go down, not going to be a lot of room for people to stand. Id suggest the Daley Plaza (but it will be packed). The address is 55 W. Washington (I m pretty sure the north/south streets are clark and dearborn, 1 street east of Lasalle), youd think Id remember seeing as Im there every day.

You going to be at the rally tomorrow. PM me for my number.

So I just got off the phone with a fellow employee who works out of the Philadelphia area. Years ago, I found out he's a big Sox fan, so ever since then, whenever we get the chance, we talk sports, and mostly it's the Sox. But the past week we've been talking about the Stanley Cup final (he's a Flyers fan).

He said the local radio stations over there are giving Roenick crap for crying on tv last night. Stuff like "well, he played for both teams, what's his deal?" and "it's not like you were from Chicago".

I found it pretty funny to hear things from the other perspective.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
So I just got off the phone with a fellow employee who works out of the Philadelphia area. Years ago, I found out he's a big Sox fan, so ever since then, whenever we get the chance, we talk sports, and mostly it's the Sox. But the past week we've been talking about the Stanley Cup final (he's a Flyers fan).

He said the local radio stations over there are giving Roenick crap for crying on tv last night. Stuff like "well, he played for both teams, what's his deal?" and "it's not like you were from Chicago".

I found it pretty funny to hear things from the other perspective.

They had him on M & H this morning on the Score, and he basically made it sound like he would have cried too if the Flyers had won the Cup. Just seeing anybody hoist the Cup makes him emotional.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
They had him on M & H this morning on the Score, and he basically made it sound like he would have cried too if the Flyers had won the Cup. Just seeing anybody hoist the Cup makes him emotional.

I heard that too. It almost just seems like he was so emotional that he never got to feel that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
I did not. I actually had to work at Blockbuster and then the UC for the Hawks that day.

I'm planning on getting down there around 10am if not a bit earlier, but I'm going directly to the rally site which doesn't start til 11:30, which you know will be delayed.

Yeah, I guess I'd rather be at the rally site. Otherwise you might as well watch the parade go by and head out of there.

There was what, 350,000 at the Sox rally? Not sure what to expect.