HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
Eh, it didn't bother me.

He's 21 years old and he's got the world on a string.

This may never happen again, so why go all-out?

For parents, it's another "See, kids, athletes are NOT role models" moment.

Maybe I'd have tried to keep it together during the rally, but I can't say for sure because I never scored a Stanley Cup-winning goal at the same age I could legally drink alcohol. Knowing how I was at age 21 I'd have probably worn a bullet belt of beers onstage.

I hope Kane goes to the Cubs-Sox game today and throughout the course of the game, he funnels a case of Busch Light, does heroin while singing the 7th inning stretch, and then punches a child in the face.

If people are going to cry about him not acting like a role model (as though he owes that to anybody), he might as well go the whole nine yards.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
You know. I got to watch Kane from a unique point of view at the Cubs/Sox game. I was on that rooftop with him right behind him. I watched a 21/22 year old kid, having a good time, not out of control, trying to meet girls. He was not out of control, he was not obnoxious, he was not crazed. He spent a lot of the game, scoping out girls, living in the moment taking a breather from a pretty interesting rollercoaster ride over the last 48 hours.

I can share some fun things.

The rooftop next door tried a few times to lure him over there. They pulled just about every hot chick they could, and when that didnt work. The owner just basically brought two girls up to the edge and told him he wanted him to party over there. Kane said, I am fine where I am at. Thanks though.

Kaner eventually picked out some pretty good looking dark haired girl with a blue shirt from the rooftop and had the bodyguard go and get him the intro. Watching him try to pick up this girl was pretty funny. In the end he was making pretty good progress before her friend tried to run a block on it. Kaners wingman didn't do his job.

I kind of felt bad for the guy. Lots of people being dbags trying to make sure that Patrick would sign or take a picture with him. Literally people screaming at him. Patrick, Patrick, here, right here. Over here Kaner. Look at me. Some chick started going off on him because she didn't like the fact that he was trying to pick up some other girl. Started with a rant on how none of these people are fans like she is. It was pretty comical. People trying to get based his security was funny as well.

I have some pictures I took today that I will post up here.

Funniest comment. Some chick that was from another state didn't know who he was. She says, Whats the big deal. I don't care who he is, he has a mullett. LMAO

Cool post!

They showed Kane on tv when he was hitting on the dark-haired girl with the blue shirt. She was smoking hot. And I was just sitting there thinking, Kaner has a mullet. This woman would never speak to him if he didn't play hockey.

I'm happy for the guy. As long as he doesn't get behind the wheel of a car that way, I hope he enjoys the hell out of it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
I hope Kane goes to the Cubs-Sox game today and throughout the course of the game, he funnels a case of Busch Light, does heroin while singing the 7th inning stretch, and then punches a child in the face.

If people are going to cry about him not acting like a role model (as though he owes that to anybody), he might as well go the whole nine yards.

Which side are you arguing here, Milkman?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Which side are you arguing here, Milkman?

I'm saying that I don't care if he was drunk. And if he's such a terrible role model and embarrassment to the organization for being drunk after the greatest accomplishment of his life, I want him to go all out and really earn that reputation.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Why is everyone assuming he was so sloshed. He has a lisp.

No he doesn't.

He was sloshed. He was hanging over the rails waiting for his chance to speak with his eyes half-closed.

I am willing to chalk this up to being 21, but Kaner needs to work a bit on his image, and I'm sure that'll happen as he matures.

I think you guys are being WAY too hard on him. As others have said, he's 21 and on top of the world right now. Was it the most professional thing to do? No. But he's 21, not 35. I'm guessing about 90% of guys out there would be doing the same thing.

Also, GMAFB on the kids/role model argument. First, it's a sport that condones fist fights and cheap shots. Not exactly a perfect lesson on how to live life. And second, ANY professional sports celebration involves drowning yourself and others in beer and champagne. I think kids are smart enough to know that alcohol is fine for celebratory purposes, which is what he was doing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
No he doesn't.

He was sloshed. He was hanging over the rails waiting for his chance to speak with his eyes half-closed.

I am willing to chalk this up to being 21, but Kaner needs to work a bit on his image, and I'm sure that'll happen as he matures.

Sounds like a lisp to me.

I'm not saying he wasn't buzzed, but he wasn't sloshed...I see nothing wrong with what he did. hanging over the rails?? He put his head down on his arm...he's on no sleep, waiting in sauna temperatures with a hockey jersey on. His image is just fine for a 21 yr old kid. Can't believe this is even being discussed here.

I've got an idea. Let's change the subject back to winning the Stanley Cup!

Also, what's next? It's clear one of Steeger/Sharpie is going to have to go, and I pray it's Versteeg. Also, do the Hawks send Huet to Rockford to give the roster some flexibility or just buy him out outright?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)

Also, what's next? It's clear one of Steeger/Sharpie is going to have to go, and I pray it's Versteeg. Also, do the Hawks send Huet to Rockford to give the roster some flexibility or just buy him out outright?

I'm on your side with hoping Steeger is the odd man out. Not sure what to do with the hot mess known as Huet. How bout the extra cap hit with Towes winning the Conn Smythe. That blows.

It doesn't matter if he's 21 years old, 41, or 61. The fact is that he is a professional athlete who is paid an exorbitant amount of money to play hockey. Part of that contract requires him to portray a positive image in public of himself and of the Blackhawks organization. No matter what we think, I'm sure Rocky & McDonough pulled him aside and gave him a talking to about it. Does that mean he is not allowed the same transgressions as a normal 21 year old? Yeah, but thats part of the gig.

Good times last night with the Cup at Wrigley. Awesome to see Ozzie hoisting it, although it seemed like Q did not want to give it to him. Very cool pic of the Hawks, Cubs, & Sox all together with the Cup. Rumor was that they were bringing the Cup to Sluggers after the game, so I ended up staying out way too late, paying for it today. A guy I know was at Sluggers Thursday night when they showed up and was randomly picked to drink out of the cup and hoist it. Lucky bastard.

First you have to see what it costs you to bring back Niemi, then you go from there.

The goalie decision will be interesting. Niemi might end up costing $3 or 4 million, so you have to decide how much he is worth. Rocky has shown that he is not as cheap as his dad, but just throwing away $5 million by sending Huet to the minors is not an easy business decision either way.

I agree 100% that Versteegiak is the one I would like to see go. For all his fancy moves, he seems to make a lot of dumb hockey decisions with the puck. Sharpie definitely needs to stay and they need to resign Hjalmarsson as well. I think they should try to trade Big Buffs. His trade value will never be higher and his inconsistencies make me question if he can produce like that for an entire season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
The goalie decision will be interesting. Niemi might end up costing $3 or 4 million, so you have to decide how much he is worth. Rocky has shown that he is not as cheap as his dad, but just throwing away $5 million by sending Huet to the minors is not an easy business decision either way.

I agree 100% that Versteegiak is the one I would like to see go. For all his fancy moves, he seems to make a lot of dumb hockey decisions with the puck. Sharpie definitely needs to stay and they need to resign Hjalmarsson as well. I think they should try to trade Big Buffs. His trade value will never be higher and his inconsistencies make me question if he can produce like that for an entire season.

Its not about being cheap, it is about staying under the cap. The Hawks will be at the cap again next year, you can bet on that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Its not about being cheap, it is about staying under the cap. The Hawks will be at the cap again next year, you can bet on that.

I don't doubt that the Hawks will be as close to the cap limit as possible, and I know Scotty Bowman will help them maneuver around that. I'm just saying that if Huet is not counting against that cap, then that will be $5 million that Rocky will basically be throwing away. It would make the hockey team better, but its still a tough financial decision to make.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
Sounds like a lisp to me.

I'm not saying he wasn't buzzed, but he wasn't sloshed...I see nothing wrong with what he did. hanging over the rails?? He put his head down on his arm...he's on no sleep, waiting in sauna temperatures with a hockey jersey on. His image is just fine for a 21 yr old kid. Can't believe this is even being discussed here.

hahaha a lisp. . . really? No he's drunk.

Kaner has every right to act like a 21 y/o douchebag, we've all been there. I get it, he's happy and jolly and eager (not Ben) to celebrate the biggest accomplishment of his life. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a 21 y/o douchebag. We all probably got away with it because we're not super famous athletes, but he is a super famous athlete and he acted like a 21 y/o douchebag.

If it were me, I would keep my social proclivities on the down low and present a decent image to the public. He didn't do that . . . he acted like a 21 y/o douchebag. Some people won't care about his douchebag antics, some people will love his douchebag antics, and some people will won't like his douchebag antics (as illustrated by this thread).

His behavior bothered me, but not nearly enough to make me dislike him or ruin my excitement over winning the cup.

my .02

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)

Kaner has every right to act like a 21 y/o douchebag, we've all been there. I get it, he's happy and jolly and eager (not Ben) to celebrate the biggest accomplishment of his life. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a 21 y/o douchebag. We all probably got away with it because we're not super famous athletes, but he is a super famous athlete and he acted like a 21 y/o douchebag.

If it were me, I would keep my social proclivities on the down low and present a decent image to the public. He didn't do that . . . he acted like a 21 y/o douchebag. Some people won't care about his douchebag antics, some people will love his douchebag antics, and some people will won't like his douchebag antics (as illustrated by this thread).

His behavior bothered me, but not nearly enough to make me dislike him or ruin my excitement over winning the cup.

my .02

Yeah, I don't really think anybody cares if a 21 year old, single hockey star goes out and gets drunk and has a little fun with the ladies. It's the public forum of something like the parade was where his drunkeness bothers some people.

As for the cap issues, I'm not overwhelmingly concerned about them. The cap issues mean this team probably won't be quite as deep or quite as good as they were this year, but we knew this was coming for a while now. They're still going to be good enough to be a legit contender to repeat, unless Stan has some things up his sleeve we're not expecting.

But in general, this year was absolutely set up perfectly for the Hawks to win it all, especially with the way things played out in the playoffs after the Nashville series. Even if the Hawks win another Cup in the near future (which they certainly could), I doubt they'll have things setup for them as well as they did this year all things considered. That's why (beyond the obvious factors) it was so important they get it done THIS YEAR, and to their credit they did.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
But in general, this year was absolutely set up perfectly for the Hawks to win it all, especially with the way things played out in the playoffs after the Nashville series. Even if the Hawks win another Cup in the near future (which they certainly could), I doubt they'll have things setup for them as well as they did this year all things considered. That's why (beyond the obvious factors) it was so important they get it done THIS YEAR, and to their credit they did.

Reminds me of another team

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Why is everyone assuming he was so sloshed. He has a lisp. He wasn't slurring and stumbling over his words. Just being a silly 21 yr old. He wasn't stumbling around on the bus. He was carrying the trophy around with no problems. What the hell is the definition of sloshed?

I get sloshed, and I can tell you I wouldnt have been able to speak like that, or hoist the cup. I would have been stumbling around needing people to help me catch my balance.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
I get sloshed, and I can tell you I wouldnt have been able to speak like that, or hoist the cup. I would have been stumbling around needing people to help me catch my balance.

No offense, but I don't think there is much of a comparison between you and Kane athleticly.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)

my .02

So would you say he's a 21 y/o douchebag???

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
Yeah, I don't really think anybody cares if a 21 year old, single hockey star goes out and gets drunk and has a little fun with the ladies. It's the public forum of something like the parade was where his drunkeness bothers some people.

As for the cap issues, I'm not overwhelmingly concerned about them. The cap issues mean this team probably won't be quite as deep or quite as good as they were this year, but we knew this was coming for a while now. They're still going to be good enough to be a legit contender to repeat, unless Stan has some things up his sleeve we're not expecting.

This. There is a big difference between partying like crazy after an achievement like this, being drunk at the parade, and actively drinking at the parade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
This. There is a big difference between partying like crazy after an achievement like this, being drunk at the parade, and actively drinking at the parade.

I'd like to know how many people recall their parents being drunk when they were kids, because I'm very sure you dont understand being drunk until you are alot older anyway. I dont think the "role model" stuff applies to a guy drinking 3 beers at a parade. Oversensitivity is a little widespread here IMO. There have been several hockey teams, baseball teams etc that have had drinks while on TV and in front of people several times after winning a championship, its part of the world, people drink.