HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
I'd like to know how many people recall their parents being drunk when they were kids, because I'm very sure you dont understand being drunk until you are alot older anyway. I dont think the "role model" stuff applies to a guy drinking 3 beers at a parade. Oversensitivity is a little widespread here IMO. There have been several hockey teams, baseball teams etc that have had drinks while on TV and in front of people several times after winning a championship, its part of the world, people drink.

And frankly, there is a difference in not only operation, but perception of athletes and the sports teams and regular businesses. Most businesses don't have a citywide celebration when they close an account, and start spraying champaigne everywhere. They are more like musicians on a record label. As long as it doesn't hurt their productivity, I haven't heard of a record label being pissed about a band being drunk on stage.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
I'd like to know how many people recall their parents being drunk when they were kids, because I'm very sure you dont understand being drunk until you are alot older anyway. I dont think the "role model" stuff applies to a guy drinking 3 beers at a parade. Oversensitivity is a little widespread here IMO. There have been several hockey teams, baseball teams etc that have had drinks while on TV and in front of people several times after winning a championship, its part of the world, people drink.

See White Sox 2000 celebration at the Metrodome.

First of all, I think Kane is a complete tool, and I would hate him if he didn't play for the Hawks. That being said, I had no problem with him getting drunk at the parade. People need to relax, it's one of the best moments in his life and he wanted to celebrate it. I'm sure there were a hell of a lot more people drunk in the crowd.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)

Drunk is much different than actively drunk and drinking at a work function in front of two million people. Especially when their bosses market the team as a family friendly product.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 08:56 AM)
How bout the extra cap hit with Towes winning the Conn Smythe. That blows.

This is something I just don't understand, why the heck would winning the Conn Smythe count against the cap? Makes no f***in sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Drunk is much different than actively drunk and drinking at a work function in front of two million people. Especially when their bosses market the team as a family friendly product.

whats not family friendly about drinking? Kids dont understand the nuances of being drunk and they've probably seen their parents have a bud light or two. They werent blacked out and uncontrollably drunk whatsoever. I see nothing wrong with the way they acted at all.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
It's a perk added into his contract, just like every other sport. Obviously the agent for Burish isn't going to add it into his clients contract, but it made sense to include it for a guy like Toews. You can't have it not count against the cap, otherwise you would see a ton of deals trying to circumvent the cap.

If bonuses didn't count against the cap, you could swing a deal with a star player for 800K, but provide simple bonus escalators(Goals, Games played, points) that could bring it up to five or six million, but keep his cap hit at 800K.

Ya. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that the bonus he was getting was actually from the NHL and not from the Hawks(have no clue why I thought that), obviously it makes a lot more sense this way now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
And frankly, there is a difference in not only operation, but perception of athletes and the sports teams and regular businesses. Most businesses don't have a citywide celebration when they close an account, and start spraying champaigne everywhere. They are more like musicians on a record label. As long as it doesn't hurt their productivity, I haven't heard of a record label being pissed about a band being drunk on stage.

Nicely put.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)

That is a great post. Hopefully this curbs the Kane talk and people can stop complaining.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
whats not family friendly about drinking? Kids dont understand the nuances of being drunk and they've probably seen their parents have a bud light or two. They werent blacked out and uncontrollably drunk whatsoever. I see nothing wrong with the way they acted at all.

Seriously, who doesn't get drunk at family parties and holidays?

Broke the Leno boycott for the Hawks tonight.

Kaner, Seabs, Keith, and Toewser came out with the Cup. The crowd started a "Let's Go Hawks!" chant, and they actually seemed to know what was up, touching on Seabs' big hits, showing the Keith teeth loss, etc.

Dunc gave Jay a necklace with one of his teeth on it!

Keith got some cheers when he said he's on a "liquid diet" right now.

They brought Leno a jersey too, and I guess are going to sit with the band the rest of the night with the cup in front of it. I don't think I can bear any more of Leno, so that's all I got... but I'm sure they'll have another bit later.

Teams talking up players from the Hawks.

Sharp already getting a ton of interest and why not...

Daily Herald - The Blackhawks might trade Patrick Sharp, who is drawing interest from teams.

Chicago has salary cap issues and will need to swing some deals in order to clear space. Sharp is owed $3.9 million over the remaining two years on his deal.

"It's going to be a tough couple weeks if players do leave," Sharp said. "We've just got to enjoy right now and celebrate as much as we can."

The Maple Leafs and Blue Jackets are said to have interest in Sharp should the Blackhawks look to move him.

"Sharp is a guy any team would love to have," a league executive said during the Stanley Cup Finals. "He might not be an elite player, but he's just a notch below. There are no flaws in his game."

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 3, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
I'll go ahead and say it.

MAYBE a guy like Brian Bickell shouldn't be on a line with Toews and Kane. MAYBE we should park Buff in front of the net on that line, since Toewser does all the dirty work on the boards and Kane just floats around until he gets the puck anyway.

I'd like to point out this awesome post of mine following the Game 1 loss to Vancouver. I called for the line change that won us the next two series. I am amazing, that is all.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
I'd like to point out this awesome post of mine following the Game 1 loss to Vancouver. I called for the line change that won us the next two series. I am amazing, that is all.

Darn it! Steve beat all of us to quoting his post.....AGAIN.

:P :D

If Steve gets credit, I want credit for calling for the line change after game 4:

Jun 5, 2010 -> 01:05 PM

I feel that right now you have to take advantage of Hossa, because Philly being physical plays into his strengths (as opposed to Kane). A line of Hossa, Toews, Kopecky, with Kane moving to the 2nd line could do the trick. I swear that Philly is just waiting for Kane to be on the ice and then try and go on the offensive.
Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
I WON THE CUP

Oh and I think Steve and I should also get co-credits for the Rally Beard.

Hawks always win the Stanley Cup when the rally beard is involved.

This is true. The rally beard was clutch.