scouts from 8 teams at Sox-Toronto series

scenario

per Mark Gonzalez

During this four-game series, there were scouts from at least eight teams. That's a large number considering that teams usually don't start making trades until at least one-fourth into their seasons.

Some observers speculated that teams might be interested in one of the Blue Jays' relievers. But it turned out that Toronto, looking for a speedy outfielder, acquired Freddy Lewis from San Francisco for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Lewis recently completed a minor league rehabilitation assignment for Triple-A Fresno.

The last time the Sox visited Toronto was in May of 2009. There weren't as many talent evaluators at the Rogers Centre at that time, but one interested scout was Ken Bracey, then with San Diego.

Less than three days after the Sox were swept by Toronto in a four-game series, the Sox unsuccessfully tried to acquire Jake Peavy from the Padres for four pitchers.

One of the pitchers Bracey scouted was Sox left-hander Clayton Richard, who limited Toronto to three hits in seven innings.

---------------------------------------

No revelations or breaking news... just found this interesting.

If the Sox were looking to actually make a trade, who on their major league roster would be involved? They might want to sell of Jenks or Linebrink as a salary dump. I could see them moving Santos right now, but that would be unpleasant. Beckham or Ramirez? Hardly likely.

Either they're looking at Toronto's team or their just advance scouts. If anyone's scouting the Sox's system right now, they're going to AAA.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
I was in the third row behind the scout seats for a Cleveland game and there were two Phillies scouts there. I thought that was odd unless the Indians play the Phillies later.

Cleveland's in a different boat from us...they might be more than happy to still sell off a player or two if someone was willing to give up a lot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
If the Sox were looking to actually make a trade, who on their major league roster would be involved? They might want to sell of Jenks or Linebrink as a salary dump. I could see them moving Santos right now, but that would be unpleasant. Beckham or Ramirez? Hardly likely.

Either they're looking at Toronto's team or their just advance scouts. If anyone's scouting the Sox's system right now, they're going to AAA.

What would be the incentive to trade Sergio Santos at this point?

I don't understand trading for Gonzalez for basically just one season (doubtful on the possibility of an extension like Garcia signed right after being traded in 2004)...you know he's going to test the market with how underpaid he is.

Buddy Bell on the subject of Tyler Flowers

"We are trying to transition him back to the basics to get back to where he was last season....Too many thoughts, you just can't play [the game that way]."

On his offense

"We think the world of him offensively. Very intelligent kid."

Let's say the deal was Santos, Flowers, Hudson and Shelby/CJ/Sergio Morales/M. Gonzalez, would anyone pull the trigger on that one?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
I don't understand trading for Gonzalez for basically just one season (doubtful on the possibility of an extension like Garcia signed right after being traded in 2004)...you know he's going to test the market with how underpaid he is.

"We are trying to transition him back to the basics to get back to where he was last season....Too many thoughts, you just can't play [the game that way]."

On his offense

Let's say the deal was Santos, Flowers, Hudson and Shelby/CJ/Sergio Morales/M. Gonzalez, would anyone pull the trigger on that one?

I would. I think Hudson will be alright pitcher and I think Santos has potential. I'm still not sold on Flowers. AGon, however, is a superstar once he leaves San Diego.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
I would. I think Hudson will be alright pitcher and I think Santos has potential. I'm still not sold on Flowers. AGon, however, is a superstar once he leaves San Diego.

I look at the Brewers and the cubs for example and the Brewers may have one maybe two guys that could make the Sox pen and the cub Marmol and maybe Marshall would be it. Williams stinks but I think Guillen is just going to ditch the LOOGY thing as he has guys that can get lefties out. Something Williams is not good at.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Judging by the way the Sox pen is throwing, that could well be something people are looking at from us.

OK, but are we out of contention or something? Why is this story anything more than an idle report about scouts being at a game when there are most likely scouts at all games checking things out. I might bite if it was a scout from a particular team that has been rumored to be looking at a trade or two :huh

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
OK, but are we out of contention or something? Why is this story anything more than an idle report about scouts being at a game when there are most likely scouts at all games checking things out. I might bite if it was a scout from a particular team that has been rumored to be looking at a trade or two :huh

If someone gets desperate enough to take on Linebrink's contract, and he's willing to accept the trade, you dump him in a second for anything you can get.

More or less though, it is just an idle report. Kind of interesting, but not a whole lot there unless something else comes out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
If someone gets desperate enough to take on Linebrink's contract, and he's willing to accept the trade, you dump him in a second for anything you can get.

More or less though, it is just an idle report. Kind of interesting, but not a whole lot there unless something else comes out.

But I feel like if everyone on this board is "smart" enough to see that Linebrink is a first half pitcher and then completely collapses, can we really assume that there are teams out there that don't see that as well? I can't see anyone taking on his contract knowing full well his full body of work for an entire season. I know you're not trying to say that it's a strong possibility, I just don't even see it as a remote possibility. But goddamn, I would drive up from Arkansas to drive him to the airport (or walk him to the North Side) if someone were to bite.

On his offense

The White Sox released Sergio Morales.

There's been a lot of talk about the Blue Jays making a couple bullpen guys available, the Phillies and Indians have been 2 of the most likely suitors mentioned in reports. This is likely why there would be an unusual number of scouts at a Blue Jays game.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
But I feel like if everyone on this board is "smart" enough to see that Linebrink is a first half pitcher and then completely collapses, can we really assume that there are teams out there that don't see that as well? I can't see anyone taking on his contract knowing full well his full body of work for an entire season. I know you're not trying to say that it's a strong possibility, I just don't even see it as a remote possibility. But goddamn, I would drive up from Arkansas to drive him to the airport (or walk him to the North Side) if someone were to bite.

That's why you deal him to Houston.

On his offense

So the 3 to 4 months that would remain in the 2010 season don't count?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
So the 3 to 4 months that would remain in the 2010 season don't count?

I should have been a bit more clear.

I meant that more in the sense that we get him in late July instead of early June....I think the Padres will hold onto him as long as possible and wait for the bidding war to develop, not unlike the Halladay situation in TOR.

Not that I was giving up on this season, because it's still WAY too early to make any conclusions until late May.

I don't think you cripple your minor league system for a MAYBE division title in 2010 and just one full season of Gonzalez. It's too big of a gamble with long term negative consequences for our orgnizational competitiveness.

Also, with the market set for Blackburn at $14 million/4 years, Floyd's contract, Slowey wanting a similar deal with the Twins...will KW now offer to pay Danksie more than all 3 of them in an effort to keep him from getting too expensive in Years 5/6? How high do you go to keep him a happy camper?

Edited by caulfield12

Well, first, we don't know that for sure. You would think he would test teh market, but you never really know. It all depends on what he deems to be important at the time.

Second, I think it's wrong to assume that KW would trade all of the farm's best prospects for one player if he didn't have a pretty good idea they would be able to lock him up beyond the current contract.