Let's help Brooks Boyer with marketing ideas...

caulfield12

for the remainder of April

1) Come see Sergio Santos

2) It's Still Early

3) Gordon Beckham...Gordon Beckham.

4) Andruw Jones, he's not as bad as we thought.

5) Alex Rios, he's not as bad as we thought.

6) Come see Peavy, Putz, Konerko, AJ, Jenks and Buehrle before they're traded.

7) Even Ranger Rongey is now questioning Ozzie...which means even YOU, the casual fan, could probably do a better job than Ozzie.

8) We can beat the Indians and possibly the Royals in attendance

9) Only the SOX can make a hero out of Asdrubal Cabrera, who hits .194 against RHP and is a vital cog in the worst offense in baseball, and cause season ticket holders to ditch their tickets after the first homestand.

10) We have the hitting coach with the longest tenure in the AL Central Division.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
for the remainder of April

1) Come see Sergio Santos

2) It's Still Early

3) Gordon Beckham...Gordon Beckham.

4) Andruw Jones, he's not as bad as we thought.

5) Alex Rios, he's not as bad as we thought.

6) Come see Peavy, Putz, Konerko, AJ, Jenks and Buehrle before they're traded.

7) Even Ranger Rongey is now questioning Ozzie...which means even YOU, the casual fan, could probably do a better job than Ozzie.

8) We can beat the Indians and possibly the Royals in attendance

9) Only the SOX can make a hero out of Asdrubal Cabrera, who hits .194 against RHP and is a vital cog in the worst offense in baseball, and cause season ticket holders to ditch their tickets after the first homestand.

10) We have the hitting coach with the longest tenure in the AL Central Division.

Asdrubal Cabrera is a pretty good hitter though.

With all the examination of Ozzie's leaving Peavy in too long, there's still little to no excuse for our offense. (Just that they're not that good, which is the frustrating part...there's no easy solution to the problem because it's related to a lack of talent/ability/aging roster.)

I think that will be lost in the arguments over managing, but our offense just doesn't give the pitching any cushion...with the exception of maybe 2-3 games all season when they actually showed up and looked good.

Edited by caulfield12

Great post, Caufield. Only a truly blind optimist would think this team can go anywhere with this offense.

Because offense sells tickets, my guess is the Cell will be a morgue this year, barring some minor miracle. I know everybody says people on Soxtalk over-react, but there's just no logic to suggest the lineup will sell any tickets at all.

I'm amused that Ranger is close to sounding depressed/despondent.

Hard to get really really upset anymore when we've been predicting this for months. You're seeing the apathy already setting in throughout the message boards.

The talk in the first week about being buried in the month of April is becoming a frightening possibility.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
I'm amused that Ranger is close to sounding depressed/despondent.

Hard to get really really upset anymore when we've been predicting this for months. You're seeing the apathy already setting in throughout the message boards.

The talk in the first week about being buried in the month of April is becoming a frightening possibility.

2007 is still fresh in his mind, I'm sure. It'll be a long season of post game shows.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Every 7th inning a lucky fan is randomly selected to pinch hit. The results would be comparable to what we've seen so far from the team.

This is similar to the Bill Veeck promotion where the fans in a certain section could be managers for one inning and they were all equipped with FLASH CARDS to show as a democratic consensus (like voting on multiple choice answers on Millionaire for the lifeline) what they wanted to do.

686 OPS now through 12 games.

Well, someone has to win when we play the M's. There are no ties in baseball, at least that's what Tom Hanks said in A League of their Own. Or was it there's no crying in baseball?

Guess I'll have to watch the 2005 highlights and Field of Dreams again to remember why we subject ourselves to this.

Edited by caulfield12

I have tickets for myself and the family as part of a group attending the game on July 5th. Other than that, I think I'll just forego buying anymore tickets to see the Sox this year.

This team is boring. The manager tells the fans that if they criticize any of his decisions (which can be disagreed upon and debated by reasonable people) they should stop following baseball or worse yet become Cubs fans.

I'm not going to spend anymore money on this team unless they bring in some better players and/or coaches. I'll still be following them hoping they win the division, and if they do I'll rejoice. But I'm not giving this team, as currently constructed, anymore of my entertainment dollars this year.

Southside, I think you and 50% of the season tickets holding on for now agree with you. Which is why I'm going to be very very pissed off the first time KW makes a remark out of frustration about payroll and attendance.

He brought this on himself. The surprising thing is that it seemed we were no more than a bat away...when Jones and Rios have actually been decent. (I made this argument somewhere, that simply resigning Thome to go with Jones and then Hudson for 2B/leadoff would have been cheaper, and it might have been the only way to come close to holding the Twins back because they'd be missing two important veterans). But I'm not even sure Thome/Hudson gets it done. MAYBE.

But when you have Pierre, Kotsay, Vizquel, Teahen and Ramirez all playing like bench players and AJ never more that a complementary player, you can't trade for Adrian Gonzalez or Lance Berkman or Roy Oswalt, etc. We're just not looking like we're close enough talent-wise to make those "make or break" type of moves we did with Rios and Peavy in 2009.

Edited by caulfield12

Fathom, that's all you can really do. I don't want to give up on this team, I love baseball too much.

The only time I've really ever mentally checked out on a season was 2007. I'm willing to accept this team might not be capable of overtaking Minnesota or Detroit, but there's no excuse at all for us to be inferior to the Indians or Royals.

This whole "veterans first" thing will have to go, and there's no way that KW will sit on his hands for a whole season in front of crowds of 12-15-18,000 and not do something.

If 2008 proved anything, it was that you could have an instantly credible team going from an atrocious year to the next one, because of Danks/Floyd/Quentin/Ramirez.

Beckham's obviously a keeper, too. Whether you call it reloading or rebuilding, we need more CJ Retherford types who bleed baseball and will take the field every single game and give a 100% effort and be upset when they lose. This team just doesn't have to seem any fire or "competitive" moxie like we've had in the past. (The Rowand/Everett/Crede/Uribe Effect).

Yes, winning creates chemistry...maybe 2008 created this illusion that we were closer than reality, and now we've simply regressed to mean, where we belonged in the first place.

I have had great expectations every inning since 2005.

My expectations are so low right now. I will continue to watch any game I can on mlb.com but I truly don't expect to beat anybody with this powder puff offense.

What's with this pathetic play against Cleveland?? 2-2 vs. Seattle wasn't so bad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
I was so close to buying season tickets this season. I'm very relieved knowing that I decided not to. Hopefully we start playing better and generate excitement for this team.

Why? You haven't been happy about anything over the winter.

If the Sox keep hitting like this, they better go back into my childhood Bill Veeck era bag of tricks.

Watermelon eating contests before the games judged by the players ... banner night where you could carry banners on the field ... fireworks, fireworks, fireworks ... and the like.