Uggghhh! 4-17

stretchstretch

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Well, you do have to feel good for some markets that really looked dead 10 years ago, like Milwaukee, Minnesota and even Detroit, although what happened there financially is now close to a catastrophe. Atlanta has really bounced back after being down/flat for years. Oakland, despite their hot start, seems to be doomed to fail in that mausoleum of a stadium. Cincy is doing "okay" with their new stadium for now and were able to sign Chapman surprisingly.

But Cleveland, Pittsburgh, KC, Toronto, Baltimore, San Diego, Florida, Arizona, Washington (yes, I know they have a new stadium, but they drew more Phillies fans...hope Strasburg downs out okay), Tampa, Oakland and Houston all appear to be in various degrees of trouble.

Not like the NBA, but the economic recession/downturn is clearly having an effect on the bottom tier organizations and cities. Hopefully we don't have to add Chicago White Sox to this list, but the fear is always there deep down that we return to late 80's world.

There's no fear in MLB yet. According to Forbes, in 2009 every team except 2 made money. I think it was Texas that took about a $500k loss and they were sold, and Detroit lost $29 million, but I'm sure Pizza Pizza can take the hit. According to them, JR and friends pulled in a $26 million profit last year. Not bad. The Sox have nothing to fear. They don't have much debt. Their long term contracts are at a minimum and they have a sweetheart lease deal where if they don't draw much, they play rent free.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bmags is right. It's too early to be saying "we're only five out."

It's embarrassing that we are five out this early. 4-9 is a Baltimore O's type record. This team remains so damn dysfunctional. 2-2 in Toronto isn't all that bad.

Then boom. 0-3 in Cleveland.

Team plays a perfect opening game, then loses its next five to Cleveland?? WTF?

The only thing more dysfunctional than our season so far would have been in the Hawks lost to Nashville tonight to go 0-2. That would have been insanely dysfunctional and unexplainable.

Instead, the nice victory and the Hawks are hopefully back on track to do what we feel they should do. Reach the Cup Finals.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:11 AM)
bmags is right. It's too early to be saying "we're only five out."

It's embarrassing that we are five out this early. 4-9 is a Baltimore O's type record. This team remains so damn dysfunctional. 2-2 in Toronto isn't all that bad.

Then boom. 0-3 in Cleveland.

Team plays a perfect opening game, then loses its next five to Cleveland?? WTF?

The only thing more dysfunctional than our season so far would have been in the Hawks lost to Nashville tonight to go 0-2. That would have been insanely dysfunctional and unexplainable.

Instead, the nice victory and the Hawks are hopefully back on track to do what we feel they should do. Reach the Cup Finals.

And I feel pretty comfortable saying that the O's would actually win our division, if they were in it (I don't know if anyone agrees with me but I suspect J4L does too). They've got a lot of raw players and much more talent than we do (though, granted, their pitching doesn't even compare). Who do we have that compares to Adam Jones and Matt Wieters? We've got... what, Beckham, and then... yeah, that's about it.

Sox team batting average: .222, 2nd worst in AL, 3rd worst in MLB (HOU and CLE worse)

Sox team AVG w. RISP: .196, 3rd worst in AL, 5th worst in MLB

That's bad.

Good news is, as weak as some parts of the Sox lineup are... they will NOT stay this bad all season. Teams just don't bat .222 for a full season, or .196 w.RISP for a full season. Not going to happen.

The Sox offense will improve, and they will probably get a good hot streak going soon. Its just a question of whether or not they get better ENOUGH to catch up with MIN and DET.